Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@ksad I don't know if there are people who are ok coming off effexor. Obviously though if they aren't having issues they would have no reason to seek this forum out.
Don't be discouraged if your dr doesn't take your concerns seriously. I've seen several psychiatrists who don't even believe that withdrawal symptoms last longer than several weeks and write off the symptoms as being a recurrence of the diagnosis that caused a person to be on the medication in the first place. Which is ludicrous to me...I certainly wish they could feel what we feel like! Comparing wd to anxiety/depressive symptims is like apples to oranges.
As far as a taper goes, please look at information on websites such as the withdrawal project and mad in America. Also if you google "waves and windows" you should be led to a great explanation of what is happening to your CNS. I've written about it in previous posts but I know there is lots to sort through in this forum. I think you will find that the more you read, the more you will see the recurring themes among so many people who are going through this. If I were you I would hold your dosage or even updose until you feel stable. And you can't really go day by day..reference waves and windows..you will have good days and then suddenly be blindsided by symptoms days, weeks, months later. This to me is what is so frustrating. Plus, people will say "but you were doing so good, i thought your withdrawal was over, are you sure its withdrawal?" , which makes me want to strangle them. I had a nurse practitioner tell me he thought there was "something else going on" since I "shouldnt still be experiencing symptoms" and tried to put me on an antipsychotic! Just be forewarned that the medical community is sorely uneducated and unwilling to recognize the devastating side effects of a medication that they give out without a second thought. So hang in there, we understand. And I completely relate to your loss of your old self, your job, etc. I had to stop working and I miss those kids (I teach ESL online to kids in China) but more upsetting is the loss of the person I used to be. Even with reinstating after 6 months because I could not put myself through any more WD, things have not returned to normal and I don't know if they ever will. It really sucks too, to be unable to enjoy hobbies and activities I used to do. I feel so bad for my family and friends who have to deal with me never participating in anything. My parents are in their 80s and run circles around me. Its always been hard to match their energy level but now its impossible. They are so worried about this, and I worry about how I will ever take care of them if the need arises, I can hardly take care of myself these days!
I'm glad you've found the forum and I hope that knowing there are others in similar situations at least puts your mind at ease.

@sandij

@ksad I don't know if there are people who are ok coming off effexor. Obviously though if they aren't having issues they would have no reason to seek this forum out.
Don't be discouraged if your dr doesn't take your concerns seriously. I've seen several psychiatrists who don't even believe that withdrawal symptoms last longer than several weeks and write off the symptoms as being a recurrence of the diagnosis that caused a person to be on the medication in the first place. Which is ludicrous to me...I certainly wish they could feel what we feel like! Comparing wd to anxiety/depressive symptims is like apples to oranges.
As far as a taper goes, please look at information on websites such as the withdrawal project and mad in America. Also if you google "waves and windows" you should be led to a great explanation of what is happening to your CNS. I've written about it in previous posts but I know there is lots to sort through in this forum. I think you will find that the more you read, the more you will see the recurring themes among so many people who are going through this. If I were you I would hold your dosage or even updose until you feel stable. And you can't really go day by day..reference waves and windows..you will have good days and then suddenly be blindsided by symptoms days, weeks, months later. This to me is what is so frustrating. Plus, people will say "but you were doing so good, i thought your withdrawal was over, are you sure its withdrawal?" , which makes me want to strangle them. I had a nurse practitioner tell me he thought there was "something else going on" since I "shouldnt still be experiencing symptoms" and tried to put me on an antipsychotic! Just be forewarned that the medical community is sorely uneducated and unwilling to recognize the devastating side effects of a medication that they give out without a second thought. So hang in there, we understand. And I completely relate to your loss of your old self, your job, etc. I had to stop working and I miss those kids (I teach ESL online to kids in China) but more upsetting is the loss of the person I used to be. Even with reinstating after 6 months because I could not put myself through any more WD, things have not returned to normal and I don't know if they ever will. It really sucks too, to be unable to enjoy hobbies and activities I used to do. I feel so bad for my family and friends who have to deal with me never participating in anything. My parents are in their 80s and run circles around me. Its always been hard to match their energy level but now its impossible. They are so worried about this, and I worry about how I will ever take care of them if the need arises, I can hardly take care of myself these days!
I'm glad you've found the forum and I hope that knowing there are others in similar situations at least puts your mind at ease.

Jump to this post

Waves and windows... I googled it. That’s reassuring. Sarcastically. It’s just typical that doctors don’t help patients with this process. “Just take it slow.” Ok.

Day three of 75 to 37.5. Yesterday I experienced some dizziness and later I just became so tired. I walk from the bus stop home and I was a little concerned I was going to collapse! I was very hungry and achy, too. My ears/head noise was very loud. I thought I might be coming down with something.

This morning I feel good. My brain was energized and starting looping through to do items. That hasn’t happened on Effexor. I used newly acquired mindfulness to rein them in. Glad I have that! Highly recommend.

My bathroom is being renovated so I need to shower at a friends down the street. Normally that would be a huge hurdle and I wasn’t up to it last night but I feel ok about that this morning.

A few more sips of coffee... my brain does feel comfy. The ear ringing is very low. Poor brain. I take comfort in knowing that it’s very... malleable. But it’s also very delicate. Be gentle on your brain! Sleep. Eat. Relax.meditate.

Oh, I had that ear noise too! It was one of the most disturbing things about withdrawal. Well, it's all disturbing, but that symptom was particularly so because I couldn't NOT hear it. Are you taking Omega 3? I had started before I even started a taper. I never had a brain zap during the whole process, I think it was due to the omega 3. Have a good day!

@texasduchess

Sadly, many on here can attest that many doctors do not know how to taper someone off Effexor and many don't know the weaning process can be extremely fraught. I am amazed you hung in there as long as you did trying to taper off while working in a high-stress job like a jr. high teacher. Back in December, @cp6401 used the term "stress fragile" to describe how so many of us are during this process of getting off/reducing Effexor and even, afterwards.

Your second tapering schedule still sounds fast and the drops too steep. Most folks find it best to stabilize at level before attempting a drop. You will know pretty quickly if it's too soon--withdrawal symptoms will occur; you'll have to decide if they're bearable. P.S. I was on Effexor for 18 years, too--be aware that it gets stored in body fat; you're not really off Effexor until that gets used up.

Re supplements--
Do not take the supplements 5-htp, or L-tryptophan while on Effexor. I also learned the hard way don't take Dextromethorphan (yes, the cough medicine!). Also, if you have surgery, anesthesia and pain drugs (such as fentanyl and hydrocodone) can interact with Effexor. The DM and surgery drugs affected me even though I was only on 25mg Effexor!

I'm not a doctor and didn't try this myself, but others have used a "Prozac bridge"--read my post 4 days ago for more info and @jsprosise wrote back on May 9, 2018, "I had almost unbearable withdrawal problems every time that I tried to quit Effexor and always went back. The solution for me and several others (after I told them of the solution) has always worked. VERY SIMPLE ... take Prozac for 7 days along with the Effexor. After 7 days, stop taking Effexor and continue Prozac for 7 days ... NO WITHDRAWALS." @sandij a few posts up says, "... once the effexor wd starts the prozac bridge isn't effective." @jsprosise found it helpful even after withdrawal symptoms began, but s/he may have been unique.

Jump to this post

Oh gosh. The more I read the more awful this could be. The comment about surgery - I had ulnar nerve (elbow) and carpal tunnel surgery in October, (including fentanyl) while still on 300mg. I felt much more addled, more out of myself, more antsy, but that was first surgery, and I didnt know what to expect. I was so nasty and frustrated.

I wonder why the anesthesiologist didnt comment on the effexor dose? Is this common?

@sandij

Jump to this post

Im grateful for these forums - much to read. Learning, and comparing. Wondering why a drug that causes such misery is used. There are so many lives messed up, and people aware of how difficult they are yet not able to change. I want to wear something that says “this isnt a choice”.

@cp6401

A few days in, maybe a week, I started getting really irritable.. like raging irritability... “ If that happens, know it’s temporary and will pass.

Jump to this post

I already had some...

@sandij

Oh, I had that ear noise too! It was one of the most disturbing things about withdrawal. Well, it's all disturbing, but that symptom was particularly so because I couldn't NOT hear it. Are you taking Omega 3? I had started before I even started a taper. I never had a brain zap during the whole process, I think it was due to the omega 3. Have a good day!

Jump to this post

I just got back into taking omega 3. And C, Mg, Z, and B12. My annual bloodwork came back low for B12 so I had more incentive.

The end of day 3 of 75 to 37.5 and I can report a good day and much better than yesterday. I am tired all of sudden but it’s very cold and dark here in Upstate NY so you never know what’s dragging you down. Every time I drop the Effexor I feel better ultimately. 🙏. I wasn’t on it more than a year I should add. Well at least I think it’s been a year.

@ksad

I wonder why the anesthesiologist didnt comment on the effexor dose? Is this common?

Jump to this post

@ksad
I really think my primary care doctor and surgeon just thought my being on 25mg was not enough to worry about (I've read that a "pediatric" dose is 75mg). Both times I experienced serotonin syndrome, it took several days of being on the other drugs along with the venlafaxine to occur.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.