Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@secretwhitepop

Everything IS going to be ok. You are still the you that you were before this pharmaceutical deluge. (Bear with me, @sandij, I’m not only replying to you, I’m also talking to myself - and hoping I help others, too!)

For years I listened to other people but when did that happen? After my divorce! My self esteem plummeted and I questioned everything. Deciding for ME to go off Effexor after over 20 years was all me!

Yep! The crying outbursts came and I still cry everyday - but like you said, an emotional release. And I let them come.

I count my blessings, get sun, watch sitcoms, and just plain force myself to enjoy the good in life. BUT - don’t get me wrong. That “homesick” feeling is there. The weight is there. And what’s back is the anxiety. Every morning.

Guess what I did and it helped tremendously and I recommend it so so highly! I listen and follow a YouTube guided meditation. This one is nice and worked wonders!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZToicYcHIOU

Good luck all! Hope this helps some or all who need it.

BUBS! (Short for bubbles)

Jump to this post

@secretwhitepop thank you so much for your post. It's the first time someone has accurately described that feeling...homesick, exactly.
Thank you for the link to the meditation. I also find the thunder and rain soundtracks very relaxing to fall asleep to.
My husband and I did such a fun thing yesterday called The Escape Room. It's an immersive mystery that requires finding clues to find the way out of a place. It was a good test for my brainpower and we did manage to solve the puzzle!
As far as I can tell, the discontinuation from effexor is going smoothly. But work, or as I should honestly call it, performance, is wearing on me. Not related to effexor. I rarely stay with one job even this long. I'm waiting to see what the universe brings me next before I burn the bridge with vipkid yet.
Also @@brightwings I've not been married 20 years, only coming up on 9 this fall. Although if you count the years together with past marriages it would be more than 20!
Secretwhitepop I'm glad things are going well with your mom. Thinking about you, and thanks again.

@sharonlou

@merpreb This is day 3 of cutting my 150mg Effexor dosage back by 25% at my doctor's instructions. I would have bet $$ that I would have withdrawal symptoms because the side effects are so awful if I accidentally skip a dose, but skipping a dose is 100% reduction and so far no problems at all at this initial reduction. I feel geat, no brain zaps at night which always clues me in that I forgot to take it in the morning. It really comes down to how each person reacts to weaning. My reason for starting on Effexor was anxiety so I will be on the lookout for any reemergence; it so often shows up in my dreams first which is kind of interesting. I hope I won't have any problems when I have hip replacement surgery later this year but will make sure all the docs know where I am with the Effexor. You were one of the lucky ones as far as the side effects. None of us knows how we will react until we actually start the process. Appreciate all the info here for sure. Blessings to all.

Jump to this post

@sharonlou I went from 225 to 150, stayed there for 6 weeks, then 150 to 75. Stayed there for six weeks or longer before I started experimenting with going lower. Symptoms I experienced mostly were: dizziness when shifting focus (turning my head for instance, to look in different directions) , nausea, fatigue, shaking or shivering like I was cold. All of these symptoms would come and go. Stay the course. If you find yourself having anxiety, it may ver well be caused by withdrawal and bot necessarily relapse into old anxiety. I think that all of us here, yourself included, are extremely self aware and we KNOW what we need to do. Have a great day!

@brightwings

@grandmar
No that was MY issue...being ashamed that I needed so many medications to feel better. And I kept taking every path God put in front of me to get to a whole person.
Now I am med free. But it was a 33 year journey to get here.
Didn't mean to put that on you, my friend, smiling at you...I think you are wonderful the way you are.
Bright Wings

Jump to this post

@brightwings

No worries!
I think each and every one of us are pretty terrific!
It takes a strong person to discuss their most intimate thoughts and actions.

Bravo to us all!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@sandij

@sharonlou I went from 225 to 150, stayed there for 6 weeks, then 150 to 75. Stayed there for six weeks or longer before I started experimenting with going lower. Symptoms I experienced mostly were: dizziness when shifting focus (turning my head for instance, to look in different directions) , nausea, fatigue, shaking or shivering like I was cold. All of these symptoms would come and go. Stay the course. If you find yourself having anxiety, it may ver well be caused by withdrawal and bot necessarily relapse into old anxiety. I think that all of us here, yourself included, are extremely self aware and we KNOW what we need to do. Have a great day!

Jump to this post

When each of you were. off your Klonopin, did your old anxiety come back?

@grandmar it's hard to see our children suffer. It sounds like your son is working very hard at improving his mental health. If he makes the decision to begin effexor, I hope that it beings him the quality of life that he deserves. The good thing is, he is well educated about the effects of the medication and will not enter into it lightly. Thinking about you all.

@rascal1

When each of you were. off your Klonopin, did your old anxiety come back?

Jump to this post

@rascal1 I was never on klonopin so I have no answer for you

@sandij

Jump to this post

I’m so sorry, I meant Effexor!

@texasduchess

@grandmar
I experienced anxiety as a withdrawal symptom; it was awful. I hope Effexor works for your son's GAD. I was only on Effexor for hot flashes; I had no issues on it (it worked great!), only after getting off it. If I'd known THAT, I would have stayed on Effexor.

Jump to this post

Thank you @texasduchess

@sandij

Jump to this post

@rascal1

Hi!
I only take Klonopin if and when I need it, which is NOT very often.
I take it along with my regular dosage of Effexor.
I mostly use it when I have something like surgery, to relax me.
I find it works very well.
When I questioned my psychiatrist why I couldn't take it instead of the Effexor, I was told it was NOT an everyday drug, just a short term one.

Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@sandij

@grandmar it's hard to see our children suffer. It sounds like your son is working very hard at improving his mental health. If he makes the decision to begin effexor, I hope that it beings him the quality of life that he deserves. The good thing is, he is well educated about the effects of the medication and will not enter into it lightly. Thinking about you all.

Jump to this post

@sandij
Yes, it is VERY hard to see people we love suffer. I know it is ridiculous, but I feel guilty because I know he inherited it from me.
That makes no sense, but neither do I. LOL

My son isn't a doctor, but he and my daughter in law are in the medical field, so he understands medical jargon and he does his research. In addition, we have had many heart to hearts regarding the use of medication, including Effexor.

Best to us all.....
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Please sign in or register to post a reply.