Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@brightwings- my aunt was like that. She was my mom's older sister and my mom loved her. WHen my mom visited her, her last time, my aunt accused my mom of stealing money from her. My mom never got over that, I think because she chose not to think about how devastating the disease really was.

@merpreb

@brightwings- I had no idea that you had multiple personalities. Would you be willing to share your story? I think in the depression and anxiety group or start a new conversation on the mental health group. Unless this would be too traumatic for you to go back over it. I recently wrote an article for publication regarding PTSD and regressed a bit into depression. Do you think that it would be a problem for you?

Jump to this post

@merpreb We have know this about @brightwings for a long time. She is someone who knows about abuse and recovery as well. It is a challenge and highly misunderstood to wear this label. Nothing to be ashamed about. Amazing how some of us manage to cope.

@parus

@brightwings We are still working on it. Takes time to sort things out.

Jump to this post

Hang in there, if I could do it, so can you. It takes time BUT the effort is so worth it.
Parus, I wanted to apologize to you and others...last September I started a group for folks "like us". But then I disappeared. I was poisoned by pesticides and have almost died twice since then.
I am finally back, but felt I needed to apologize because I felt bad for abandoning you all.
Nuff said, Bright Wings

@parus

@merpreb We have know this about @brightwings for a long time. She is someone who knows about abuse and recovery as well. It is a challenge and highly misunderstood to wear this label. Nothing to be ashamed about. Amazing how some of us manage to cope.

Jump to this post

@parus- Thank you. I think that I said that I had no idea. I really really try to keep up with everyone but it's just impossible. My apologies Susie. I was aware of your history as far as abuse goes but not the personalities. This morning I received well over 100 emails from Connect. But I am not complaining at all. I have to pick and choose who I respond to. I'm sure that the label is very misunderstood and of course nothing to be ashamed of.

@brightwings

@Parus
Oh honey, I am so sorry about your father....suicide is unfortunately a lasting legacy. One I do not care to attach to my name....
I fought to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Some days I moved forward and some days I moved backwards but that's the point...keep moving.....
I would NOT LET them win!
Bright wings

Jump to this post

@brightwings a wise doctor told us long ago to not let them win and we have not. no one understands and we don't owe explanations.

@merpreb

@parus- Thank you. I think that I said that I had no idea. I really really try to keep up with everyone but it's just impossible. My apologies Susie. I was aware of your history as far as abuse goes but not the personalities. This morning I received well over 100 emails from Connect. But I am not complaining at all. I have to pick and choose who I respond to. I'm sure that the label is very misunderstood and of course nothing to be ashamed of.

Jump to this post

@merpreb cyber hugs

@merpreb

@brightwings- I had no idea that you had multiple personalities. Would you be willing to share your story? I think in the depression and anxiety group or start a new conversation on the mental health group. Unless this would be too traumatic for you to go back over it. I recently wrote an article for publication regarding PTSD and regressed a bit into depression. Do you think that it would be a problem for you?

Jump to this post

No it won't be a problem to write this. I am a good teacher because I remember what helped.
When I suggest things to folks, its up to them to use the tips or not. Its no sweat off my nose if they use them or not.
I KNOW what I have accomplished in my life!
But it won't be soon. I am off to bake cinnamon rolls....by 5 pm tonight!!!!!
So happy with myself, Bright Wings

@brightwings

No it won't be a problem to write this. I am a good teacher because I remember what helped.
When I suggest things to folks, its up to them to use the tips or not. Its no sweat off my nose if they use them or not.
I KNOW what I have accomplished in my life!
But it won't be soon. I am off to bake cinnamon rolls....by 5 pm tonight!!!!!
So happy with myself, Bright Wings

Jump to this post

lol- Susie
@brightwings- good for you. You certainly deserve it and to recognize it is a double treat. How did you realize that you deserve it?- you can respond tomorrow!

@brightwings

Hang in there, if I could do it, so can you. It takes time BUT the effort is so worth it.
Parus, I wanted to apologize to you and others...last September I started a group for folks "like us". But then I disappeared. I was poisoned by pesticides and have almost died twice since then.
I am finally back, but felt I needed to apologize because I felt bad for abandoning you all.
Nuff said, Bright Wings

Jump to this post

@brightwings we are glad you have returned. we are happy you are better. apology accepted. we are not always around either.

@parus

@brightwings a wise doctor told us long ago to not let them win and we have not. no one understands and we don't owe explanations.

Jump to this post

@parus
The important thing is WE will not LET them win!
And its good enough that WE understand and help each other...smiling cuz we can do this!!!!
Bright Wings...who was not always this good and happy but I am now!
Ok, cheating a bit...6 loaves of frozen bread dough thawing in the oven...I will get those rolls finished in time....

Please sign in or register to post a reply.