Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

I just got done reading the article and that sounds very hopeful. Thank you for sharing that with me. It is something that I'm going to ask the Dr. about. With it being such a new med I wonder how insurance companies will look at it and with it being new the cost if insurance companies won't pay.

Interesting. It isn't really new but it's slightly different than the IV drip. Technically insurance could cover ketamine now - it's covered as an anesthetic for surgery.

I don't know about other places but the only way to get this is in Chicagoland is to pay at least $500/visit at a private 'ketamine clinic'. Also you have to have a ride home who knows you (sadly a barrier for me even if I was wealthy).

I'm interested to see how people handle gaps in treatment and the remission rates. It's kind if a big pain in the butt to get it since it requires so many treatment visits.

@kbymayo
Thank you for the link. The article is very telling. I can see why we are all getting different information from doctors regarding the horrible side effects of withdrawal.
The other links at the bottom of the article were also good.
A read for everyone!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@texasduchess

@farmboy
I'm so sorry that you had to go to the emergency room, but glad that you got real help while there. Please let us know how you get on.

Jump to this post

Im having a really hard day. Confused,lost, crying and horrible headaches. I did talk to my insurance company about the DNA test and it is covered. So I am hoping I can get some relief. I will let you know how it goes when I get it done.

@notaround

I honestly don't think it needs to be outlawed. That would create a huge problem for people who need it. Look at the 'opioid crisis' which all it has done is take needed medicine away from people in horrible pain.

I don't blame my psychiatrist for putting me on venlafaxine - but I do blame him for not warning me about the withdrawal. It should only be prescribed with a plan in place to help patients taper off. And backup plans in case of insurance problems. The side effects from this med were actually very mild compared to sertraline and a few others.

I hope everyone remembers that at least for depression, this is a medication that can do a lot of good. For me, it was the only thing that worked (until it stopped working). It is not inherently bad or dangerous. It's really the stopping taking it that is the problem.

I'm rather concerned about new patients that seem to find this thread and immediately decide to quit cold turkey without giving it a chance. Untreated depression is dangerous! The fad of anti-medication is actually killing people. Getting someone with depression into treatment is hard enough. And supplements don't work for moderate to severe depression. Even if they could, they have no guarantee they contain what is on the label, unlike a prescription.

Jump to this post

Hi, @notaround - thanks for what you've said here and the reminder that though many in this "Tips on minimising withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)" discussion are looking to taper off of this medication — many with extremely tough withdrawal symptoms — that venlafaxine (Effexor) can also do good for patients. A common thread in the many Connect discussions on antidepressants is that one medication does not fit all — what works is highly individualized.

Members can find another side of the discussion on venlafaxine (Effexor) in this thread https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/effexor-anyone-find-it-helps/. @notaround, I'd encourage you to post there with any comments you'd have, as well.

Thanks, also, for the concern you expressed for any patients taking venlafaxine (Effexor) who may find this thread and decide to quit cold turkey. Some of the members in this discussion may recall previous posts citing a Mayo Clinic pharmacist that said a slow taper, overseen by a medical professional, is usually recommended to avoid significant withdrawal-like symptoms and the possibility it may cause a sudden worsening of depression. This post has a summary of the pharmacist's points https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/tips-on-minimising-withdrawal-symptoms-from-effexor-aka-venlafaxine/?pg=79#comment-111331.

I'm curious if anyone could tell me if they had heartache feelings when coming off effexor. I'm having some crazy side effects.

@farmboy

I'm curious if anyone could tell me if they had heartache feelings when coming off effexor. I'm having some crazy side effects.

Jump to this post

@farmboy
I was (and to some extent, still am) very emotional--teary, easily frustrated, had difficulty keeping my mind on what I wanted to think about and not on what I didn't want to think about and very prone to sudden rages (from irritated to homicidal maniac in the blink of an eye). I also had akathisia (inability to remain still, needing to pace or rock to soothe myself). All of this is much better now that I am nine months out from when the withdrawal symptoms hit mid-June.

What helped (besides supplements and the occasional Valium)--
Avoid frenetic, or over-stimulating tv shows/movies; don't listen to atonal, off-key, or minor key music (woo, did this set me off); and find distraction in reading, working, hobbies, etc. Try to be with other people--go out to dinner, play cards/board games, find a walking buddy to go around the block, etc. Also, very important--get some natural light (I don't mean sunbathe); you need daylight reaching your eyes to lift your mood.

@texasduchess

@farmboy
I was (and to some extent, still am) very emotional--teary, easily frustrated, had difficulty keeping my mind on what I wanted to think about and not on what I didn't want to think about and very prone to sudden rages (from irritated to homicidal maniac in the blink of an eye). I also had akathisia (inability to remain still, needing to pace or rock to soothe myself). All of this is much better now that I am nine months out from when the withdrawal symptoms hit mid-June.

Avoid frenetic, or over-stimulating tv shows/movies; don't listen to atonal, off-key, or minor key music (woo, did this set me off); and find distraction in reading, working, hobbies, etc. Try to be with other people--go out to dinner, play cards/board games, find a walking buddy to go around the block, etc. Also, very important--get some natural light (I don't mean sunbathe); you need daylight reaching your eyes to lift your mood.

Jump to this post

Thank you for your reply. I will try these things. I been asking alot of questions and always get a reply. I wish I had a way to return the help.

@texasduchess

@farmboy

Jump to this post

Did you have trouble sleeping when going through withdrawals. I have literally only slept maybe 6 hours in the last 3 days.

@farmboy

Did you have trouble sleeping when going through withdrawals. I have literally only slept maybe 6 hours in the last 3 days.

Jump to this post

@farmboy
Good Morning!
Yes, sleeping is an issue. I am in the midst of reducing my dosage and I do not sleep through the night. I sleep about 3 hours a night, if I am lucky. And when I do, I am up several times.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Please sign in or register to post a reply.