Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@kimba
NEVER reduce your medication by 50%, No wonder your sick. You must not have read this thread prior to cutting your dose. If it were me I’d increase your dose until you don’t have any symptoms then start decreasing it SLOWLY!!!
5-10% decrease every couple weeks (at least 2 weeks.) also the higher the dose and the longer you have been on it also has to be factored into the equation.
When you see your doctor I wouldn’t hesitate telling him/her exactly where to put that 50%.
@texasduchess & @grandmar they know first hand what works and what doesn’t.
Best of luck to you,
Jake

Jump to this post

Thanks so much Jake, it's almost a week now so I will just keep praying to God for Help. I will mention it to my doctor for sure... Thank you so much! Kim

@texasduchess

@ndeshy @breds1968 @glosrobbo @kimba Please read the many posts on this thread; yeah, it's 200 pages, but there are so many helpful suggestions here re getting off Effexor (venlafaxine) and ways to minimize your withdrawal symptoms (take Dram*mine to reduce dizziness, for example). Specifically, the most helpful suggestion is to not taper too fast. Steep drops (225 to 175, 75 to 37.5, 37.5 to zero) will likely make you feel terrible. Your doctor may be guiding you, but only you know how you feel; unless you're in a big hurry for medical reasons (i.e., Effexor is making your blood pressure spike dangerously, or you're pregnant), slow down--WAAYYYY down. When a taper makes you feel crummy, it is generally recommended that you go back to the dose where you felt fine, stay there a while (weeks, or more) and then, taper to less of a drop than you tried before. Decreasing your dose by 5-10% and staying there at least 2-4 weeks before reducing again will make the process of getting off Effexor so much more tolerable.

Jump to this post

Thanks so much I will read the post, God Bless

Hi all.. Due to years of suffering anxiety, after trying alot of antidepressants my doctor wanted me to try venlafaxine.. I agreed.. I was on 75mg a day for 5 months, I didn't find these to help, not at all.. So I really didn't want to continue them.. The problem I'm having is with withdrawals.. Over a period of 6 weeks I tapered down to quarter of a 37.5mg tablet daily, was doing fine but when I completely stopped I suffered electric shocks, this is my only withdrawal with a little bit of dizziness now and again, but it's been 7 days since I completely stopped and I'm still suffering the electric shocks, I really don't want to take anymore venlafaxine, What I wanted to know is... If I can tolerate these electric zaps is it safe to continue without the medication, I feel okay in every other way.. And also does anyone have any idea when these zaps will stop.. Is there anything else I can take to help minimise this.. I don't ever want to go back on this drug.. Please help.. I just need to know its safe to continue on as I am, and I'm not causing myself any harm.

Thankyou Tamara

@blue81 The brain zaps are distressing, but there is no evidence that they are harmful and they will disappear as the brain stabilizes. Your last drop was probably just too fast. Since it has only been seven days since you stopped, you may get relief by taking Effexor again at your last dose. After 1-2 weeks, you could halve that 1/4 of 37.5mg, stay there for 1-2 weeks, then try stopping again. I personally didn't experience brain zaps, but fish oil can help the brain heal and Ben*dryl and Dram*mine can help with the dizziness.

@kimba

Hello been on Venaflaxine for over 15 years, taking 150mg and now my doctor is trying to wean me off, now taking 75 mg, feel horrible so sick to my stomach, tired, diarrhea, and nausea, how long will I feel like this and what can I take for my nausea? HELP

Jump to this post

@kimba sounds like you're taking the xr capsules like I am. I couldn't step down that fast either. If you can, ask for a Rx for the 37.5mg - that way you can take 75 and 37.5 which is a smaller step down. It helped me a lot to do that rather than 150 to 75 right away.

Such great solutions to minimize the withdrawal symptoms on this thread. I was on Venlafaxine for a year (took Wellbutrin a decade earlier for longer). This is the first antidepressant I've been on with such horrendous withdrawal symptoms. I can't stay at work my full 8 hours because about 6 hours in, I get more nauseous than usual and more dizzy. For only being on this for a year, I'm wondering how long I can expect to have these symptoms. I transitioned from 150 to 75, 37.5, then 18.25 over the course of 2 months, and finally just stopped taking the 18.25 (I experienced withdrawal symptoms every evening on the 18.25, so I stopped those earlier than I had planned).

Thanks so much for the tip!
Can't wait to be off this drug!

Holding steady at 75 mg. Started my taper from 225 mg back in September, dropping to 150 and then to 75. Withdrawal symptoms are bearable. It helps to understand the concept of waves and windows. It helps to remind ones self that this is temporary. It helps to be kind to ones self. It helps to have a supportive community. It helps me to take vitamin d3 and omega 3 daily. Acupuncture and Chinese herbs have been helpful as well. I posted earlier that I was experiencing a constant buzz or tinnitus in both ears. The acupuncturist said this is often considered a sign of spiritual ascension. I do believe that as this drugs effects on ones body diminishes, our spiritual, true self begins to emerge slowly. Peace and good wishes to all on their journey. Have a great day, everyone. We can do this thing.

Wow what a loooong thread! Guess I will just jump right in with my story. Have been on venlafaxine 3 times. Currently have been on it for ten years. Really want to get off it as don't think it is doing much for me. It did help with quitting smoking. Helped a bit with depression but not with my anxiety. The memory of the withdrawals I had before is scary. And back then I was on it for only a few weeks at a time. I had flu like symptoms, rapid heart rate and the most difficult symptom, hallucinations associated with being half asleep. I would think I was awake but then start seeing things like large grey animals and trying to move or speak found that I couldn't. I think I could manage if it were not for the sleep issues and the heart rate thing. I haven't read the entire thread so if someone has experienced what I have experienced I would be interested in how they coped. Back then though I did not taper (did not realise I should) I went cold turkey.

@baxman all that sounds familiar, less the large grey animals, for me they were small and scurrying. It is scary. Glad you are here for support on your journey.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.