Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@lisalucier

Hi, @ndeshy, and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. Since I understand that Venlor is the same as venlafaxine, I've moved your message here to where many members have been talking about tapering off this medication.

I'd like to invite @grandmar @jakedduck1 @breds1968 @kbmayo @texasduchess and others to add their thoughts about the diarrhea, tiredness and headache you've experienced since taking your last dose, how you might reduce these and how long you might experience them.

@ndeshy, will your doctor be putting you on a different antidepressant when you come off of the Venlor?

Jump to this post

@lisalucier currently he did not put me on any, I m only going to see him on the 04 February

@jakedduck1

@ndeshy
Hello there and welcome to the Connect family.
First of all what dose were you on prior to your reduction?
How long have you had these symptoms?
You state “My last dosage was on January, 23” Did you miss taking a dose on the 24th? What about today, did you take any medication? I’m concerned your skipping doses. Are you currently taking 37.5mg? If so how often?
You state you have taken this medication for a year, have you had these symptoms before or are they new?
Jake

Jump to this post

I only had the symptoms the first time I took the medication. I had these symptoms since my last dosage on 23January. Does this mean my system is getting used to function without tablets?Will they eventually dissapear or will I feel this way as long as I am not taking the meds? I even have flu and feel dizzy most times

@ndeshy

I only had the symptoms the first time I took the medication. I had these symptoms since my last dosage on 23January. Does this mean my system is getting used to function without tablets?Will they eventually dissapear or will I feel this way as long as I am not taking the meds? I even have flu and feel dizzy most times

Jump to this post

i’ve been off vanlafxine for 4 weeks and yesterday was the first day I could say felt less dizzy. So far today I’ve felt a bit better again so it does seem the effects will dissipate.

Hello been on Venaflaxine for over 15 years, taking 150mg and now my doctor is trying to wean me off, now taking 75 mg, feel horrible so sick to my stomach, tired, diarrhea, and nausea, how long will I feel like this and what can I take for my nausea? HELP

@glosrobbo

i’ve been off vanlafxine for 4 weeks and yesterday was the first day I could say felt less dizzy. So far today I’ve felt a bit better again so it does seem the effects will dissipate.

Jump to this post

Less dizzy for the first time in 4weeks?😱😱😱😱😱 you are scaring me, the whole month you felt dizzy? Seriously

@ndeshy @breds1968 @glosrobbo @kimba Please read the many posts on this thread; yeah, it's 200 pages, but there are so many helpful suggestions here re getting off Effexor (venlafaxine) and ways to minimize your withdrawal symptoms (take Dram*mine to reduce dizziness, for example). Specifically, the most helpful suggestion is to not taper too fast. Steep drops (225 to 175, 75 to 37.5, 37.5 to zero) will likely make you feel terrible. Your doctor may be guiding you, but only you know how you feel; unless you're in a big hurry for medical reasons (i.e., Effexor is making your blood pressure spike dangerously, or you're pregnant), slow down--WAAYYYY down. When a taper makes you feel crummy, it is generally recommended that you go back to the dose where you felt fine, stay there a while (weeks, or more) and then, taper to less of a drop than you tried before. Decreasing your dose by 5-10% and staying there at least 2-4 weeks before reducing again will make the process of getting off Effexor so much more tolerable.

@ndeshy @breds1968 @kimba @glosrobbo

There are so many threads and pages related to this subject, that your head can spin. There is one theme throughout, I believe is that you should taper off VERY, VERY slowly.
I am not in the medical field, but I am in the process of tapering off Effexor. I am doing this VERY slowly, on my own. My psychiatrist left her practice so I thought it would be a good time. It is NOT my goal to go off, but to be on what I consider to be a 'reasonable' dosage.
I've been on Effexor for more years than I can remember. At my highest dosage, I was on 300 mg. I take two 75 mg in the morning and the evening.
I started by cutting one of the evening 75 mg pills into 1/4s. I took the entire dosage every other night and took 1 3/4 of the dosage on alternating nights. I did this for 3 weeks. I felt fine so I started taking the reduced dosage every night for 3 weeks. Again, I felt fine.

After that, I started taking 1 1/2 pills every other night for three weeks. I felt fine so I went to 1 1/2 pill every night. I will do this for 3 weeks. It's been 2 weeks. So far, so good. The only withdrawal I am having is my inability to sleep. If all continues to go so well, I will go to 1 1/4 pills every other night for 3 weeks then every night for 3 weeks.

I think you can see the pattern. Slow and steady! I am letting my body dictate what I do. If I don't feel well, I will continue longer (at least 1 full week). The reason I am doing it this way is because several years ago my PCP told me SHE THOUGHT it was time for me to come off. She is a great doc, so I took her word. The reduction was quick. During the first reduction, the anxiety attacks came back full force! I tried to get back on them, but it didn't work. The psychiatrist said it wouldn't work. She said I needed to wait several months before trying again.

Well, the best I can advise you is to take it VERY slow an LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!

Best of luck!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@grandmar

@ndeshy @breds1968 @kimba @glosrobbo

There are so many threads and pages related to this subject, that your head can spin. There is one theme throughout, I believe is that you should taper off VERY, VERY slowly.
I am not in the medical field, but I am in the process of tapering off Effexor. I am doing this VERY slowly, on my own. My psychiatrist left her practice so I thought it would be a good time. It is NOT my goal to go off, but to be on what I consider to be a 'reasonable' dosage.
I've been on Effexor for more years than I can remember. At my highest dosage, I was on 300 mg. I take two 75 mg in the morning and the evening.
I started by cutting one of the evening 75 mg pills into 1/4s. I took the entire dosage every other night and took 1 3/4 of the dosage on alternating nights. I did this for 3 weeks. I felt fine so I started taking the reduced dosage every night for 3 weeks. Again, I felt fine.

After that, I started taking 1 1/2 pills every other night for three weeks. I felt fine so I went to 1 1/2 pill every night. I will do this for 3 weeks. It's been 2 weeks. So far, so good. The only withdrawal I am having is my inability to sleep. If all continues to go so well, I will go to 1 1/4 pills every other night for 3 weeks then every night for 3 weeks.

I think you can see the pattern. Slow and steady! I am letting my body dictate what I do. If I don't feel well, I will continue longer (at least 1 full week). The reason I am doing it this way is because several years ago my PCP told me SHE THOUGHT it was time for me to come off. She is a great doc, so I took her word. The reduction was quick. During the first reduction, the anxiety attacks came back full force! I tried to get back on them, but it didn't work. The psychiatrist said it wouldn't work. She said I needed to wait several months before trying again.

Well, the best I can advise you is to take it VERY slow an LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!

Best of luck!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

@grandmar
Don’t get overly anxious. Remember SLOW SLOW SLOW. Don’t get impatient.
I’m glad things are going so well. Keep up the good work!
Jake

@kimba

Hello been on Venaflaxine for over 15 years, taking 150mg and now my doctor is trying to wean me off, now taking 75 mg, feel horrible so sick to my stomach, tired, diarrhea, and nausea, how long will I feel like this and what can I take for my nausea? HELP

Jump to this post

@kimba
NEVER reduce your medication by 50%, No wonder your sick. You must not have read this thread prior to cutting your dose. If it were me I’d increase your dose until you don’t have any symptoms then start decreasing it SLOWLY!!!
5-10% decrease every couple weeks (at least 2 weeks.) also the higher the dose and the longer you have been on it also has to be factored into the equation.
When you see your doctor I wouldn’t hesitate telling him/her exactly where to put that 50%.
@texasduchess & @grandmar they know first hand what works and what doesn’t.
Best of luck to you,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@grandmar
Don’t get overly anxious. Remember SLOW SLOW SLOW. Don’t get impatient.
I’m glad things are going so well. Keep up the good work!
Jake

Jump to this post

Thanks!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.