Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

It helps to go out but In the evenings the anxiety returns. The problem is that I can go on for 3 days feeling great and then I start with the depression once again. Not sure why I have good and bad days. Could it be the tapering effects of the drug?

@shaker1956

For Leonard too. Just came back from the Doc’s and I am in remission. 90% at least. Its not curable but I’ll certainly take that all day. Great Xmas present!!!! Not a very religious man but I know there s a God. However still have 3 more Chemo sessions to go!!!!!!!

Jump to this post

@shaker1956 What good news--just in time for Christmas! Been praying for you. It's wonderful when you can see the end of chemo.

Yesssss. I will be done around the 20th of Feb. will still feel the effects for another month or more

@grandmar

@merpreb
Hi!
You don't need to do anything that you feel won't be a benefit.
I too, don't play on coming off my Effexor 100%.
I just want to get back to a dosage that is not outrageous. 37.5mg twice a day sounds a lot better than 150mg twice a day.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

Happy holidays Ronnie- I agree, 37.5 sounds much better.

@maryathome

It helps to go out but In the evenings the anxiety returns. The problem is that I can go on for 3 days feeling great and then I start with the depression once again. Not sure why I have good and bad days. Could it be the tapering effects of the drug?

Jump to this post

@sabrina- Yes it could be tapering off of the drugs that causes the difference in moods. I think that we have to keep in mind that we all have rotten days. Medications wont stop that. What you want to try and control are the moods that debilitate us.

@shaker1956

Yesssss. I will be done around the 20th of Feb. will still feel the effects for another month or more

Jump to this post

@shaker-incredible news! happy holidays

@maryathome Sabrina, that's exactly how it is, up and down. It's ok. Remind yourself its temporary.

Today let's celebrate our wins! It sounds like many of us are experiencing some great times, and this gives others hope!
I'm stable on 75 mg of effexor. I started tapering in September from a dosage of 225. I had decided to pursue an aggressive yet safe taper. I had the benefit of experiencing neurontin withdrawal for a solid year after a cold Turkey withdrawal (from 600 mg to 0 in a day, ignorant of the effects at the time). So I was fully aware and prepared for the symptoms of withdrawal from this drug when they would come. I have bad days that are mostly physical symptoms..headache, nausea, dizzy..all of them bearable. Sometimes crying jags, but that is no different from when I was on a higher dose! The same with spells of anxiety, it's no worse than it's ever been! I'm starting to think that this drug never really did anything positive for me. But, I'm still in the woods. I've heard the worst wd symptoms come at the tinier doses, so I'm prepared for that, should it happen. Every night, when my alarm sounds for me to take the capsule, I thank God and also tell myself how ..i dont want to say, proud, but maybe, give myself kudos for making this choice. We are ALL nothing but brave for taking this journey. Celebrate your own courage today and give thanks for the strength that comes from being a member of this community, I know I am going that today.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.