Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@danalee5

After stopping Effexor at the end of tapering, Does having a glass of wine with dinner make the side effects of withdrawal worse?

Jump to this post

@danalee5
While researching how to minimize my Effexor withdrawal (or discontinuation) effects, I read one person's suggestion--"I tried many things to overcome withdrawal, but nothing works much except alcohol in beer, or any other form. Read somewhere that alcohol increases serotonin level in brain, maybe that’s the reason behind it."

@texasduchess

@danalee5
While researching how to minimize my Effexor withdrawal (or discontinuation) effects, I read one person's suggestion--"I tried many things to overcome withdrawal, but nothing works much except alcohol in beer, or any other form. Read somewhere that alcohol increases serotonin level in brain, maybe that’s the reason behind it."

Jump to this post

@texasduchess
Thank you!

@texasduchess

@danalee5

Jump to this post

It maybe true. I have a 1mg script for clonopin and it does help so I can get thru some of these withdrawal effects.

Klonopin definitely helps -- but you have to be cautious....while Effexor has unpleasant withdrawal....withdrawal from a benzo like klonopin can be dangerous for some people. Try not to use it for more than a day or two....more than that and you risk some psychological/physical habit.

Been taking just half a dose a day, when I remember. 75 mg. But the rages have alerted. Violent rages.

Ugh same here I only cut back 10%. This sucks .I guess it will take years.

@stlouisgmajenn - you'd mentioned something before that you need to switch doctors to switch meds. Does your current doctor have any input for you on the violent rages you are experiencing as you taper off the venlafaxine (Effexor)?

@ccjohncc - are you saying you are also experiencing rages since your cutback of 10 percent of your previous dosage of the medication, or are you mentioning you are having other symptoms members in this discussion have talked about?

@lisalucier

@stlouisgmajenn - you'd mentioned something before that you need to switch doctors to switch meds. Does your current doctor have any input for you on the violent rages you are experiencing as you taper off the venlafaxine (Effexor)?

@ccjohncc - are you saying you are also experiencing rages since your cutback of 10 percent of your previous dosage of the medication, or are you mentioning you are having other symptoms members in this discussion have talked about?

Jump to this post

On day 3 of cutting back about 9 % I was irritable as hell all day and didn't know why until I read my emails that had posts from this group talking about their rage side effects and I immediately knew that was it because I just don't get that irritated at every frustration all day. Also I took some of the beads I'd been saving and now feel ok. So I guess I'll try 3 %. Because I read where someone said to another over 6 percent is too much. Now I believe it. Oh well at least I'm learning and trying and not giving up.

@lisalucier

Jump to this post

I.m 64 now. Experienced rages since 17. My current clinic doctor "forgot" I was taking Effexor, even tho he prescribed it. Maybe 10 years ago. It does curb my rages, but I sleep 28/30 days a month.

@lisalucier

Jump to this post

@lisalucier
I've had the irritability and rages occasionally ever since my withdrawal symptoms began 6.5 weeks AFTER my last dose of Effexor (AND I tapered off very slowly from 25mg). Sometimes, I will have crying jags (especially when very tired) where I just sob for up to 30 minutes as though I've just lost my best friend. The raging, or crying episodes begin with akathisia (must pace, cannot sit, cannot concentrate, must be moving, try to soothe myself by rocking and hugging myself, etc.). I resort to taking 1/2 of a 5mg Valium (prescribed for just these occasions) and sometimes, the other half in an hour, or two if I cannot calm down. These episodes occur mostly on weekends when I am not observing my regular wake and eat schedule and am not at work where I have tasks to perform and keep me occupied. These episodes are occurring less and/or are not as intense now that I am SIX MONTHS out from that last dose. I wasn't even taking Effexor for mental, or emotional reasons and I was only ever using 25mg daily--I cannot imagine how my fellow discontinuers who were are able to cope. I am still trying to find a doctor who is familiar with Effexor withdrawal and how to go about it; I live in the DFW Metroplex, not the boonies--you would not think finding such a doctor would be that hard.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.