Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@mainecsnfan

I was on venlafaxine for roughly 6 years @ 225 mg per day. Luckily Igot fired from the job that caused my anxiety issues. I took my last two months worth of meds and began to cut my dosages down over a 3 month period. I will not lie, it was hard but I did it and felt lousy while detoxing. each time i stepped down on the meds it took roughly two weeks for my braine to settle down where i would start to feel normal again, then two week later another step down, and feel like crap again until you’re completely off (3mo for me). My saving grace is that I had help with medical marijuana. I am not just talking about getting high on the THC portion!! I am talking about the CBD portion which is effective in treating Anxiety well as Epilepsy and doesn’t get you high. I have been off that horrible drug roughy 2 months and feel better in many ways. I hope you all find your PEACE ✌️ within!!! It is possibly. Goodluck.

Jump to this post

Weird dreams disrupt my emotions in the am

@mainecsnfan

I was on venlafaxine for roughly 6 years @ 225 mg per day. Luckily Igot fired from the job that caused my anxiety issues. I took my last two months worth of meds and began to cut my dosages down over a 3 month period. I will not lie, it was hard but I did it and felt lousy while detoxing. each time i stepped down on the meds it took roughly two weeks for my braine to settle down where i would start to feel normal again, then two week later another step down, and feel like crap again until you’re completely off (3mo for me). My saving grace is that I had help with medical marijuana. I am not just talking about getting high on the THC portion!! I am talking about the CBD portion which is effective in treating Anxiety well as Epilepsy and doesn’t get you high. I have been off that horrible drug roughy 2 months and feel better in many ways. I hope you all find your PEACE ✌️ within!!! It is possibly. Goodluck.

Jump to this post

Effexor like most of these drugs changes the way your brain works Thats disturbing to many. But do what works for you

@mainecsnfan

Jump to this post

Congrats on your success I am still working on mine as many are Folks are NOT informed about side effects .. in most cases

@kssm71

WOW! A lot of good tips and discussions. My daughter is 21 years old and her doctor (a new doctor that had only seen her a coupled of times) put her on 75 mg Effexor XR to help fight anxiety/migraines. The doctor felt this was the best medicine for her since she has tachycardia. Well, she wasn't even on it for 30 days before she had the full effects of this medicine and eventually went to the ER because of thoughts of harming herself and unable to function. They did not hold her there, but told her to go home and follow up with her doctor. Her father and I have been then for her and made she was not home alone for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, we are unable to take much time off because of no sick/vacation time available. She is unable to work and is now home alone for 3 to 4 days a week. She followed up with her doctor (a new one because the other one is no longer there). They have been tapering her off, one pill every other day and then try every two days and then referred her to a behaviorist. We have tried getting her into a professional, but no one in our area is available. I have left messages for other clinics outside of area and no one will return my call. She has tried the every 2 days one time and it was horrible sight. She starting having body tremors, couldn't breath and crying uncontrollably. We immediately gave her the pill and within 1 hr she was a little better. She followed up with her doctor and we asked about reducing her dosage and still do the every other day. The doctor was a little reluctant, but agreed to reduce it to 37.5 mg every other day. She is still unable to work at this time. She just cannot function in the real world.

Does anyone out there have some advise for us? We have never been through anything like this before and as you can imagine, scared to death.

Jump to this post

@kssm71
Welcome. You are in the right place. Those of us who are going thru this can and will make suggestions that can help.
Wow, I feel for your daughter. And I feel for both of you too. You are not alone. Breathe, just breathe. Then breathe some more. Things will settle down, I promise. Keep breathing. What is happening there is terrible, for your daughter and both of you.
I can tell you things to do, but you and your daughter have to make a choice to carry them out. Your choice. We have suggestions from our personal journey of going thru this.
1. Go as fast as you can to a vape shop or hippy shop and get CBD oil made from hemp. It cuts the symptoms in half in my humble opinion. Get a dosage of 200 mg or more. Put 3 drops under the tongue 3 times a day.
DO THIS TODAY
If you click on my name you will read how extreme my symptoms were when I arrived here. The CBD oil smoothed so many of the extreme symptoms. I have been using the CBD oil for over 2 months now. I will use it for the rest of my life too. The positive effects going on in my body are too many to ignore.
2. I'm a nurse so this is how I would instruct my patients. It sounds like she is using the medication that is short acting. It doesn't stay in the body. The doc knows nothing of what he is doing to her. So, 1 call the doc and get her changed to the extended release caps. They will stay in her blood thru the day and night. Then you can open the caps, count the beads and gradually, gracefully get off and gradually withdraw from this bad drug.
If the doc won't do it, then start cutting down the pills in half and quarters. That way, if/when things get hard she can take an extra dose to get her thru that time. Right now she takes the med and crashes down when it wears off. I feel so bad for her and you.
Now @tennesseegirl will come and share how to cut the pills and when to take them.
3. Get your daughter here and reading. This is her recovery and you can't work harder at it then she should. I am sure she will pick up on something in someone's writing that you wouldn't. And you keep coming back too. We are folks helping folks here. Smiling at you, Bright Wings, 9 weeks off Effexor today.

@brightwings

Bright wings checking in...Today I am 9 weeks antidepressant free. I know the only reason I was able to succeed getting off the drug was CBD oil and Sacred plant medicine. The next ceremony is on the 23rd and I am ready!
Ok so to evaluate how I am doing...my life is calm. However, other folks lives around me are not calm. I am easier to get grumpy at the ongoing drama that just won't let up in their lives. I care about these folks, so I am being as supportive as I can while still taking care of myself. That means sometimes I just have to get off the internet. I know I have to take care of myself because folks will just use me up if I don't. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
I have recently hooked up with my graduation class. Our 50 year reunion is in October. I am so excited. I lived to be invisible in high school. I didn't understand I was doing this at the time. I want to do a stand up comedy routine. I know I will have the folks who attend roaring with laughter.
My abuse was ongoing in the night but I had developed so many personalities to handle my ongoing sexual abuse that started at age 3 months. BTW I integrated the last of my personalities on 1/11/11.
Because of my multiple sclerosis, I have to be careful about getting too hot. However, I am eager to get my kayaks out and hit the river again. I live in the beautiful Ozarks and the rivers here are what drew me here.
I am here for you all. I read every post. Sending you my beautiful smile and all the encouragement I have. Bright wings

Jump to this post

Why is the cBD oil where get it?

@brightwings

I am posting this so any that are interested can participate.
The NEXT SACRED CEREMONY in southern Missouri is scheduled for June 23, it starts at 9 am. Don't be late unless you have long distances to travel. I like to get there the evening before. The folks who attend are so wonderful, interesting, and healing folks.
The church is called New Haven Native American Church, Ava, Missouri. Google it.
There is a small chapel to stay in overnight if you choose. Lots of others will be there. We are up to about 70 or so folks every ceremony.
The location of the ceremony is 14 miles west of Ava, Missouri, straight west of Ava on highway 14. When you cross the Bryant River, you are there. Turn right at first driveway after river.
This ceremony is called Be Still in The Moment. Or Peyote. These sacred medicines have allowed me to get off the antidepressants. AND Ayawaska ended my depression.
So any questions, ask away. Smiling at you, Hope to see you there. Bright Wings

Jump to this post

You are a godsend! I have had ZERO side effects with the CBD oil. It's CRAZY! My doc was going to switch me up to 75mg then a 75mg plus 37.5mg alternating days. I didn't have to! I'm shocked. I had no idea CBD could do this. Thank you!

@kssm71

WOW! A lot of good tips and discussions. My daughter is 21 years old and her doctor (a new doctor that had only seen her a coupled of times) put her on 75 mg Effexor XR to help fight anxiety/migraines. The doctor felt this was the best medicine for her since she has tachycardia. Well, she wasn't even on it for 30 days before she had the full effects of this medicine and eventually went to the ER because of thoughts of harming herself and unable to function. They did not hold her there, but told her to go home and follow up with her doctor. Her father and I have been then for her and made she was not home alone for 2 weeks. Unfortunately, we are unable to take much time off because of no sick/vacation time available. She is unable to work and is now home alone for 3 to 4 days a week. She followed up with her doctor (a new one because the other one is no longer there). They have been tapering her off, one pill every other day and then try every two days and then referred her to a behaviorist. We have tried getting her into a professional, but no one in our area is available. I have left messages for other clinics outside of area and no one will return my call. She has tried the every 2 days one time and it was horrible sight. She starting having body tremors, couldn't breath and crying uncontrollably. We immediately gave her the pill and within 1 hr she was a little better. She followed up with her doctor and we asked about reducing her dosage and still do the every other day. The doctor was a little reluctant, but agreed to reduce it to 37.5 mg every other day. She is still unable to work at this time. She just cannot function in the real world.

Does anyone out there have some advise for us? We have never been through anything like this before and as you can imagine, scared to death.

Jump to this post

where does one find a vape or hippy shop ?

@dianrib @kssm71 @cdileonardo4 @grandmar
Google: Vape Shop or CBD oil and the name of the town you live in or the city the Wal-Mart is at near you.
Now I went and got mine today. Long story short, I have only been using 6 or 7 mg of CBD. I have not been here much. Been feeling crappy.
However, I am the best one to evaluate what is going on with me so I pay attention to what is going on inside me. I have been noticing more anxiety. Now is this my MS or withdrawal? Or is this related to being off the drug which is different from withdrawal.
It is up to us to be the detective as to what is happening and why?
Or we can trot down to the doc and let them drug us. Me, I prefer to be in charge of my own life.
So I have increased my CBD oil to 50 mg 3 times a day. I don't feel like eating (except junk food), so I have to be proactive and make sure I have food ready to grab and eat or I will grab junk.
Food I keep on hand...herring, hummus, tortillas and avacados, mangos, what ever fruit is on sale, I keep cooked chicken breast or bbq chicken or ribs in the freezer. I live alone so I am only cooking for me but often have 2 to 3 folks stop by and I like to feed them.
Being pro-active helps me keep in charge of my life, not the docs. I like it this way too!
Smiling at you, hang in there, we can do this together.
I made myself a toasted cheese and it hit the spot. While we are doing something as important as getting off this drug we have to remember to be kind to ourselves. Bright Wings

@brightwings

@dianrib @kssm71 @cdileonardo4 @grandmar
Google: Vape Shop or CBD oil and the name of the town you live in or the city the Wal-Mart is at near you.
Now I went and got mine today. Long story short, I have only been using 6 or 7 mg of CBD. I have not been here much. Been feeling crappy.
However, I am the best one to evaluate what is going on with me so I pay attention to what is going on inside me. I have been noticing more anxiety. Now is this my MS or withdrawal? Or is this related to being off the drug which is different from withdrawal.
It is up to us to be the detective as to what is happening and why?
Or we can trot down to the doc and let them drug us. Me, I prefer to be in charge of my own life.
So I have increased my CBD oil to 50 mg 3 times a day. I don't feel like eating (except junk food), so I have to be proactive and make sure I have food ready to grab and eat or I will grab junk.
Food I keep on hand...herring, hummus, tortillas and avacados, mangos, what ever fruit is on sale, I keep cooked chicken breast or bbq chicken or ribs in the freezer. I live alone so I am only cooking for me but often have 2 to 3 folks stop by and I like to feed them.
Being pro-active helps me keep in charge of my life, not the docs. I like it this way too!
Smiling at you, hang in there, we can do this together.
I made myself a toasted cheese and it hit the spot. While we are doing something as important as getting off this drug we have to remember to be kind to ourselves. Bright Wings

Jump to this post

@brightwings
Thank you for your posting, it is very well said!!
I think I am ready to start to come off the Effexor but I am facing the possibility of 2 surgeries and rehabs.
It would probably be better to wait until these procedures are done and I am back on my feet (literally and figuratively).
You are an inspirations.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@grandmar
Wow, 2 surgeries, 2 more surgeries...boy I can relate to that. I have had 19 surgeries. I believe all the physical, mental and sexual abuse broke my body. The pain I held inside made my body not work right at all.
Ok, 2 more surgeries...what are they? I suddenly understand you better with this new information.
The real question is for those of us who have fought depression, what are we using to change the need for the medication. I have searched for healing since I started having memories of abuse. I ALWAYS HAD THE NEED FOR SOME KIND OF MEDICATION. It was only since I started using Sacred Plant Medicine that I was able to successfully get off this med.
So the real question is: what are you doing to change the need for the medication. Smiling at you, we can do this...together. Bright Wings

Please sign in or register to post a reply.