This and That and Talk - My Transplant

Posted by Rosemary, Volunteer Mentor @rosemarya, Apr 9, 2017

As our Mayo Connect community grows, I am constantly meeting organ transplant members on a wide variety of forums with a wide range of issues that are not directly transplant specific. However, because we are all transplant recipients, we have a special connection: a unique journey and best of all - a new life! We don't always need help or advice. Many times we just want to chat with someone like us! That is my purpose in starting This and That and Talk.

Drop in and say 'Hi'. You are welcome anytime.

What do you want t to talk about? What words can you offer to someone who is on the journey? Do you have any questions for another recipient?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Transplants Support Group.

@contentandwell

@threerrr3 I found it nice to have a lightweight fleece jacket to wear in bed. I always find hospital rooms cold. I used that instead of a bathrobe also when walking around the halls.
I prefer real slippers to the non-slip socks the hospitals all give to patients, but don't bring expensive ones. I had some taken off my feet and apparently stolen when I was having an endoscopy! They were brand new Uggs too, so fairly expensive.
They do give you soaps and shampoos but generally not conditioner if you use that in your hair. Also, if you do use a body cream and want a better one than they have, bring your own. Some hospitals insist on non-scented. I did not bother with any makeup of course but I do like a facial moisturizer.
The only other thing I can think of right now is some form of lip balm. My lips were incredibly dry in the hospital. They did give me one when I mentioned it and what they gave me was fine, but I don't know if that's something all hospitals have on hand.
It's nice to have some hand wipes too.
JK

Jump to this post

Good advice thank you I will put that on my list ! ❤️

@danab

@threerrr3 the other item is a cell phone charger. With a long cord usually the outlets are a ways from the bed. Unless your lucky and get a bed with an outlet on the bed. Also sometimes the iv pole has an outlet. If you don't have a long cord you can get a usb extension cord also.

Jump to this post

Thank you forgot about a cord altogether..so I do have a long one too ! Thank you ! ❤️

@threerrr3

Hi everyone I had explained before about having a liver transplant 20 years ago . It will be 21 year March 8 and on this years anniversary I will be getting a kidney transplant... my sister is donating and we are all set to go on March 8 .. but I was wondering since it’s been awhile since my last transplant there .. is there anything I would need to bring from home and stuff not to forget ? I’m getting kinda nervous cause I haven’t really heard anything from my coordinator and time is coming so fast .. so any recommendations .. we have an apartment rented and all is set for that but wondering what to even bring to the hospital that I would need ? Slippers and thing ? Thanks just need a little help and assurance

Jump to this post

Don’t forget your passwords to all your online accounts and a second list to give to your caretaker

@threerrr3

Thank you so much 😊 glad you are doing good and everything worked out .. I was also wondering when did you go back to work ? I really have no idea how long realistically I’ll be off ? I work a physical job and have to be able to lift 60 lbs
So just wondering if anyone can say like 4 or 6 months ? Thanks again for the reply ❤️

Jump to this post

I had my transplant mid April and did not get back into my job which is also physically demanding until October. 5 1/2 months. One of the worst things you can do is go back early and at full throttle. I ran into several people in the waiting areas of Mayo that felt great and went back to a full schedule and paid the price. Keep in mind that every individuals circumstances are different. Good luck

@threerrr3

Hi everyone I had explained before about having a liver transplant 20 years ago . It will be 21 year March 8 and on this years anniversary I will be getting a kidney transplant... my sister is donating and we are all set to go on March 8 .. but I was wondering since it’s been awhile since my last transplant there .. is there anything I would need to bring from home and stuff not to forget ? I’m getting kinda nervous cause I haven’t really heard anything from my coordinator and time is coming so fast .. so any recommendations .. we have an apartment rented and all is set for that but wondering what to even bring to the hospital that I would need ? Slippers and thing ? Thanks just need a little help and assurance

Jump to this post

You will need some sort of pill organizer for the medications they will put you on

@des46893

I had my transplant mid April and did not get back into my job which is also physically demanding until October. 5 1/2 months. One of the worst things you can do is go back early and at full throttle. I ran into several people in the waiting areas of Mayo that felt great and went back to a full schedule and paid the price. Keep in mind that every individuals circumstances are different. Good luck

Jump to this post

Thank you that is kind what I thought .. being that it’s my second transplant and I’m only 53 I was kinda thinking 6 months at most .. but I also work a swing shift of 12 hour shifts that rotate day and night ... so yea I know it will fake time to get my body and mind back into shape for that !! Thank you so much 😊❤️

@des46893

You will need some sort of pill organizer for the medications they will put you on

Jump to this post

I already use that cause I am on all them meds for 20 years already that is what got my kidneys .. so try and take care of then they are are precious! ❤️

@threerrr3

Thank you so much 😊 glad you are doing good and everything worked out .. I was also wondering when did you go back to work ? I really have no idea how long realistically I’ll be off ? I work a physical job and have to be able to lift 60 lbs
So just wondering if anyone can say like 4 or 6 months ? Thanks again for the reply ❤️

Jump to this post

@threerrr3 congratulations on your upcoming transplant! When my husband's had his liver transplant last July he was on lifting restrictions for 4 months. He is still careful now with lifting if he is turning with the weight.
Best of luck and blessings,
JoDee

@threerrr3

Jump to this post

@threerrr3,
As I read through the recommendations by other transplant patients, I can sense that you are going to be the best prepared patient in the transplant department! I like all of these suggestions because they don't add bulk to your suitcase. One small item that I found helpful was a package of ear plugs which were handy for getting a nap or some sleep on a busy hospital floor.

@des46893, Pill organizers are the handiest thing ever! When I received my transplant, my husband purchased one in the patient medical supply shop at the hospital. I would like add that an alarm on phone or watch is a good way to keep up with medication schedule.

@danab, Great reminder about the phone charger!

@contentandwell, I could not have used a fleece jacket because it would not have fit over my IV's. I settled for the ever stylish hospital gown and robe (I'm not sure that all hospitals have robes, though) Sometimes a gown frontwards, and another one backwards does work though.

@cmael, I remember being so embarrassed when this happened to me. I wanted to apologize to my nurses, but they said have none of that. I think that the nurses and aide are unsung heroes.

@jolinda, I didn't know there was an option for direction of the incision.

@threerrr3, Will you share this information with your sister?

@threerrr3

Jump to this post

@threerrr3, I am happy that you will soon receive your kidney. Your sister is an angel on earth.

I have both a transplanted liver, and kidney. I got them both at the same time from same donor. What you said about medications being hard on our organs is something does concern me. Was your kidney monitored after your liver transplant? When did you (or doctors)first notice that your kidneys were affected? How did they know?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.