Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery?

Posted by virgo1952 @virgo1952, Dec 1, 2019

It’s been 4+weeks since my resection. Found a cancerous polyp during a routine screening. Some frustration over the lack of information given by the surgeon as to what to expect afterwards. Late 60’s so I know the healing will take time. Mostly, struggling with bowel urgency/frequency and experiencing stomach pain from gas (pretty sure) is three months s realistic time frame for returning to “normal”? I’ve seen some posts that talk about two years? No further treatment so I was lucky. If anyone has had this surgery and went through or is going through the healing process, I would love to hear from you. Just kind of out there.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

I just had my resection done about 4 weeks ago and now I’m feeling tightness on one side of the stomach. Is this normal? Otherwise I feel fine…..please share thx

@bethpearson

I just had my resection done about 4 weeks ago and now I’m feeling tightness on one side of the stomach. Is this normal? Otherwise I feel fine…..please share thx

Jump to this post

Hi Beth, four weeks is not a long time post-op. I've moved your message so that you can connect with others talking about their recovery after colon resection, like @monicaeve @kathyoung @troyhenn22 @vjs @lisag03 and many others.

Beth, if you are concerned about your symptoms, don't hesitate to contact your surgeon. Is this tightness a new feeling? Sudden? Does it feel like it is internal? Might it be part of the deep healing?

@colleenyoung

Hi Beth, four weeks is not a long time post-op. I've moved your message so that you can connect with others talking about their recovery after colon resection, like @monicaeve @kathyoung @troyhenn22 @vjs @lisag03 and many others.

Beth, if you are concerned about your symptoms, don't hesitate to contact your surgeon. Is this tightness a new feeling? Sudden? Does it feel like it is internal? Might it be part of the deep healing?

Jump to this post

Thank you for getting back to me!

@lisag03

The tingling pain is probably normal. Your body starts regenerating those nerves, and unfortunately, your body also naturally forms
Adhesions. I have had three resections and pain around my belly button happens a lot. I’m 3 months out and still have it

Jump to this post

So in hindsight, the pain I was feeling around my belly button was actually a ventral hernia and diastasis recti. I’ve had it surgically repaired in 2021

I had a Colectomy in November and have never returned to normal. I have belly distention, urgency and incomplete emptying. I am trying everything recommended. I’m in Pelvic Floor Therapy, eating low fodmAp diet etc. Hoping something will kick in soon.
I’ve had every test in the book and there seems to be no other reason except the surgery.

Yo fui operado con una resección del Colon Sigmoide, en Enero de este año, me encontraron un pólipo que se me reventó canceroso, gracias a Dios ,he tenido un excelente recuperación y tengo una vida normal , no tuve la necesidad de ningún tratamiento hasta hora solo control y todo marcha excelente.

@virgo1952

Hi Sundance(RB). Thanks for the reply. Keifer is my best friend. I start the day w/a small glass, trying to get those “good” gut bacteria on board. Cranberry (unsweetened) is my go to. Started after I got home. Thought I had UT infection, but I think it was irritation from the catheter. Anyway, it helped so I just kept drinking it! I’ve read a lot about the sigmoid colon and it’s function. I read that the sigmoid is the holding place for your poop. At some point your bowel muscle will start to contract moving your poop ( excuse the slang) and (hopefully) exit you’re body. I guess my body is figuring out a new holding tank, huh? So, I think I’m starting to understand the “why’s” and with the use of Citracil, liquids and timed meals, I hope to be able to do my day not worrying about these urges. I bought a small box of “winged” pads to wear during my gym time. Did you use any protection during your day? If so, what did you use? Or has anyone in the group commented on what he/she found helpful? Thanks for listening and any advise/experiences you went through and are willing to share are greatly appreciated. Virgo

Jump to this post

Hi Virgo. This is the first time I have replied to a post. I had 12 inches of my large colon removed due to ischemic colitis I had for years 2/28/2022. I had your same problem with worrying about an accident. When I was in the hospital they have me
Pads they use for new moms. I found them on Amazon. I still wear one in the morning as I’m back to work. After surgery I was so worried about keeping hydrated and drank a lot of liquids. My diarrhea got worse. My Gastro doc told me to cut back because the large colon is what used to absorb the fluid now it just goes straight out so I cut back and it helped. But now I’m having issues
with constipation. Can’t win. It’s been a battle. I still have pain in my side and hip area. I went back to work at the hospital I’ve been at for 41 years at 8 weeks after surgery. It was not easy. I would have nausea after a bowel movement still do but not as bad. Our poor bodies have been through a hell of a battle. Reading all the posts has helped me so much. The old saying misery loves company.
Hang in there. I am.

@texasdeb

Hi Virgo. This is the first time I have replied to a post. I had 12 inches of my large colon removed due to ischemic colitis I had for years 2/28/2022. I had your same problem with worrying about an accident. When I was in the hospital they have me
Pads they use for new moms. I found them on Amazon. I still wear one in the morning as I’m back to work. After surgery I was so worried about keeping hydrated and drank a lot of liquids. My diarrhea got worse. My Gastro doc told me to cut back because the large colon is what used to absorb the fluid now it just goes straight out so I cut back and it helped. But now I’m having issues
with constipation. Can’t win. It’s been a battle. I still have pain in my side and hip area. I went back to work at the hospital I’ve been at for 41 years at 8 weeks after surgery. It was not easy. I would have nausea after a bowel movement still do but not as bad. Our poor bodies have been through a hell of a battle. Reading all the posts has helped me so much. The old saying misery loves company.
Hang in there. I am.

Jump to this post

Hi. Texasdeb. As you can see that was pretty much my introduction to the connection group. Resection Surgery in 2019. I’ve been able to strike a balance with my digestion/elimination processes over this 3year period. I’m regimented, so I can enjoy activities and not worry about “accidents”. The first year was challenging and frustrating at times. There’s no playbook and it can be scary not knowing what to do. I guess I can only say to you it will get better. It takes time to put all the pieces together. I’m not the same as I was before my surgery. But, I’m definitely better than when I first came home and started to figure it out. Reading your entry, I remembered those feelings, so I can understand your struggle. Just keep at it. Virgo52

It has been almost 1 year since my emergency colon resection when they removed 18 inches. For most of the 1st 9 months I was constipated unless I was on a steady diet of Dulcolax and miralax, which created other issues. My system is finally working better than it has in years. I am still taking the miralax. I do have weird twinges in my incision area, which I haven't figured out.

The gas continued for several months and is less frequent now (6 months after surgery) but not easily controlled. It is a gradual process. The first month or two is the most difficult, four months was when I realized the symptoms were subsiding and returning to normal, again. However, my digestive schedule was crazy, like on night vs. day hours. As far as the urgency...first indication and head for the bathroom for a few months. Everybody heals at a different pace. Returning to most pre-operative activities as soon as possible really helped. I used warmed prune juice with a teaspoon of butter for the constipation days (yuck), the diarrhea days you just stay close to a bathroom. My surgeon was no help post-op, either.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.