Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery?

Posted by virgo1952 @virgo1952, Dec 1, 2019

It’s been 4+weeks since my resection. Found a cancerous polyp during a routine screening. Some frustration over the lack of information given by the surgeon as to what to expect afterwards. Late 60’s so I know the healing will take time. Mostly, struggling with bowel urgency/frequency and experiencing stomach pain from gas (pretty sure) is three months s realistic time frame for returning to “normal”? I’ve seen some posts that talk about two years? No further treatment so I was lucky. If anyone has had this surgery and went through or is going through the healing process, I would love to hear from you. Just kind of out there.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

@pjebp

What caused the hernias?

Jump to this post

The hernias were from having so many open abdominal surgeries in a short time. It weakened the abdominal wall. My second surgery required a wound vac and therefore, the wound wasn’t sutured outside. My third surgery was laparoscopic but I developed a fistula. My fourth surgery was open as well and the umbilical hernia was most noticeable. I also ended up having diastasis recti as well as the umbilical hernia and two others. I just had surgery in June to repair them all and they repaired everything including the muscle separation. It is called component separation surgery. I had a few complications, including discovering I’m now allergic to contrast, but am back to running and barre classes

I had an emergency open colon resection early September 2021 due to a twisted colon. They removed 18". I had been experiencing on and off extreme pain for a while. I am 70. Spent 11 days in the hospital. I was back to playing pickleball 5 weeks after going home. Still taking ducolax and miralax daily, but otherwise doing very well. I too have about a 6" vertical scar.

That is great to hear you have recovered relatively well. I bet pickle ball helps you as well. We are looking into that as well.

15 years ago I had a so-called “Dukes B” colon resection for a cancerous polyp which protruded partially through the colon wall but did not reach the nearby lymph nodes.
Post surgery radiation following this and a subsequent radical prostate surgery were deliberately delayed 5 years so as not to inflame a previously long existing hemorrhoidal pain or irritation condition. Unfortunately, a 5 year delay only postponed that daily discomfort from which I still suffer daily. Earlier hemorrhoidal removal surgery might have been a good idea and long term fix, but I am now 86 and resist all and any elective surgery. Consult your doctor if this condition applies to you.

Had this surgery 4 weeks ago for recurring diverticulitis. Lots of gas and incision pain. One of my small incision from laproscopic doesn’t want to heal. Pain down left side when urinating and having a bowel movement. As well I go frequently, stools are formed but I struggle to pass them. They are soft. Urinating is a weaker stream and some pain. Rectum has a vague pain. How long does it take to feel better. I’m 69, some days I regret the surgical decision.

@vjs

Had this surgery 4 weeks ago for recurring diverticulitis. Lots of gas and incision pain. One of my small incision from laproscopic doesn’t want to heal. Pain down left side when urinating and having a bowel movement. As well I go frequently, stools are formed but I struggle to pass them. They are soft. Urinating is a weaker stream and some pain. Rectum has a vague pain. How long does it take to feel better. I’m 69, some days I regret the surgical decision.

Jump to this post

Hi @vjs I’m so sorry to hear that surgery is not healing as hoped. Some of the symptoms you’re describing may be expected. Four weeks is not a very long time for recovery, but it sounds like some of your symptoms may need medical attention. I might suggest calling your surgeon’s office to see if you need to be seen sooner.

@colleenyoung

Hi @vjs I’m so sorry to hear that surgery is not healing as hoped. Some of the symptoms you’re describing may be expected. Four weeks is not a very long time for recovery, but it sounds like some of your symptoms may need medical attention. I might suggest calling your surgeon’s office to see if you need to be seen sooner.

Jump to this post

Hi@colleenyoung. I am waiting for a call this week from the surgeon. The punch hole is healing now, it’s just the inner healing now. I think I’m impatient as I thought I’d be through the pain and discomfort. But I u derstand that some people take longer than others. I’ve never had a temp, incisions all are healed nicely outside. Crossing fingers. Thx for your reply.

@vjs

Hi@colleenyoung. I am waiting for a call this week from the surgeon. The punch hole is healing now, it’s just the inner healing now. I think I’m impatient as I thought I’d be through the pain and discomfort. But I u derstand that some people take longer than others. I’ve never had a temp, incisions all are healed nicely outside. Crossing fingers. Thx for your reply.

Jump to this post

It's hard to be a patient patient, especially with recovery. Be kind to yourself. Your body has been through a lot.

Are you able to connect me with others who have had left colon resection due to diverticulitis? It would help to know how others fared. Thanks. Vjs

Please sign in or register to post a reply.