Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery?

Posted by virgo1952 @virgo1952, Dec 1, 2019

It’s been 4+weeks since my resection. Found a cancerous polyp during a routine screening. Some frustration over the lack of information given by the surgeon as to what to expect afterwards. Late 60’s so I know the healing will take time. Mostly, struggling with bowel urgency/frequency and experiencing stomach pain from gas (pretty sure) is three months s realistic time frame for returning to “normal”? I’ve seen some posts that talk about two years? No further treatment so I was lucky. If anyone has had this surgery and went through or is going through the healing process, I would love to hear from you. Just kind of out there.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

hope you are much better now ,
i am. 2 year over it this week ,

@vjs

Are you able to connect me with others who have had left colon resection due to diverticulitis? It would help to know how others fared. Thanks. Vjs

Jump to this post

Hi Vjs, I hope you saw the message from @troyhenn22 to you. Other members who have had a colon resection due include @kkw2 @duckduck2020 @sundance6 @kathyoung @glasshalfull @monicaeve @oceanone @linakh @lisag03 @msflimsy @terrip. Some had the surgery for diverticulitis or other digestive tract issue. Others had it for cancer.

@troyhenn22

hope you are much better now ,
i am. 2 year over it this week ,

Jump to this post

Hello. Are you saying it took 2 years to heal fully?

@vjs

Are you able to connect me with others who have had left colon resection due to diverticulitis? It would help to know how others fared. Thanks. Vjs

Jump to this post

I’ve had multiple bowel resection a. The first were due to cancer (total of three resections done) and the other two were due to obstruction and a perforation. Recovery was slow for me, but I’m not sure if it was slow because of all of my complications or slow because of the surgery, plus chemotherapy. I will say I still don’t feel normal and it’s been almost three years since first surgery. I feel bloated and just not like I did before all
Of this but I’m thankful to be cancer free. I was 52 when I had my surgeries. I also had abdominal wall reconstruction last year due to muscle separation and hernias that developed

@vjs

Hello. Are you saying it took 2 years to heal fully?

Jump to this post

You know ... i cant say i am 100% back to the way i was before the bowel resection ,
but i was very fit and never has a bowel issue , i just did a bowel test and they said i had 2 plops one had to be removed by surgery as it was flat , all in all it took about 1 year to be the way i am now , tummy never flat any more , bit sentitive if i touch some times . but i can eat anything and never had issue with food or problem bowel. moments thank god ,,, i think the wound infection set me back , vac machine for weeks , and as doc told me it would be key whole , ended up full surgery. , so. its. now two. years all ok , cant were. jeans or anything tight on tummy and cant get tummy down , .... but i. am 63 now so its hard , good luck. it wont take you as long every one differs , warm. wishes

i hope you are well recoved now xx

@vjs

Had this surgery 4 weeks ago for recurring diverticulitis. Lots of gas and incision pain. One of my small incision from laproscopic doesn’t want to heal. Pain down left side when urinating and having a bowel movement. As well I go frequently, stools are formed but I struggle to pass them. They are soft. Urinating is a weaker stream and some pain. Rectum has a vague pain. How long does it take to feel better. I’m 69, some days I regret the surgical decision.

Jump to this post

give it time ,, you will get better x i felt the same , but it will get. better , good luck

@lisag03

The hernias were from having so many open abdominal surgeries in a short time. It weakened the abdominal wall. My second surgery required a wound vac and therefore, the wound wasn’t sutured outside. My third surgery was laparoscopic but I developed a fistula. My fourth surgery was open as well and the umbilical hernia was most noticeable. I also ended up having diastasis recti as well as the umbilical hernia and two others. I just had surgery in June to repair them all and they repaired everything including the muscle separation. It is called component separation surgery. I had a few complications, including discovering I’m now allergic to contrast, but am back to running and barre classes

Jump to this post

ohh hope you are feeling. better now x

@colleenyoung

It's hard to be a patient patient, especially with recovery. Be kind to yourself. Your body has been through a lot.

Jump to this post

Hang in there. I had a colon resection in late September 2020. it takes a while and it is hard to be patient with yourself. I would say it took about 8 weeks for me to feel somewhat like old myself. I had a
lot of sharp pain in my right side, which I never did figure out.
If you’re incisions are healing nicely that’s a good sign.
I also think the rectal pain is probably to be expected. With regard to urination, my surgeon told me they put an instrument in the ureters to ensure that they do not injure them during the surgery. Perhaps that would explain pain during urination. I didn’t have pain but since the surgery I do have some urgency. Not sure if that explains it but it made sense to me.

I hope you feel better soon! It took a while but I’m so glad I had the surgery. Keep us posted.

@vjs

Jump to this post

I am 1 1/2 yrs out and it has taken me quite some time to heal. I still have some discomfort. I will say - drinking a TON of water and staying away from raw food and hard to digest food helped the most! It can be discouraging but it does get better!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.