Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@kfc1390

Does everyone get scar tissue after tkr?

Jump to this post

Of course there seems to be some scar tissue with any surgery but TKR seems to build quickly. I had TKR just over 2yrs ago , range of motion was not bad but very painful, did a revision 8 months ago, range of motion improved but pain remains the same. I am told it’s nerve damage that can come with any surgery. I have tried so many things now it’s down to having nerve stimulator placed in my quad to block pain. Having it done in January, I just want to take a walk. Not to much to ask. Keep the faith

@pwsharpe

Who did your arthroscopic surgery? I am in a similar situation but do not want revision for first option.

Jump to this post

@pwsharpe Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. You had a arthroscopic surgery that caused scar tissue but you do now want a revision.

May I ask what you mobility is regarding your knee?

Hi, I had TKR 6 months ago and an MUA 4 months ago. Since an initial improvement from the MUA my ROM has not improved. Aggressive PT made things worse: constant inflammation and pain. I found Anthony Maretato's videos on YouTube called Total Therapy Solutions very helpful. His exercises were much gentler and helped me get the inflammation and pain under control. However, I still have a lot of scar tissue in my joint. Too much for arthroscopic surgery they say. And my surgeon now says to learn to live with it.

Does anyone have experience with what happens over time with that scar tissue if it goes untreated?
AND does anyone have experience with non surgical treatments to remove this scar tissue from inside my joint?

I am allergic to NSAIDS and found that my surgeon simply had nothing to offer in its stead and prohibited me to continue taking my herbal remedies that had helped me for years with my arthritis. I just recently discovered a product called WOBENZYM that has been proven to be as effective as NSAIDS without the side effects! This may be really helpful to those of you who also cannot take NSAIDS.
This research lead me to another enzyme product that promises to dissolve scar tissue in the body. Over time. Does anyone have experience with this?
Has anyone tried the ASTYM method?
Please let me know about your experience with excessive scar tissue inside the joint and how to get rid of it non surgically!
Over the past weeks I have received help from a good acupuncturist. I have also simply been massaging it with my leg held straight up against a wall; softening it and trying to massage it out of the joint. It has made the joint better and I have even gotten more ROM. I now can walk stairs again!

@acamel

Hi, I had TKR 6 months ago and an MUA 4 months ago. Since an initial improvement from the MUA my ROM has not improved. Aggressive PT made things worse: constant inflammation and pain. I found Anthony Maretato's videos on YouTube called Total Therapy Solutions very helpful. His exercises were much gentler and helped me get the inflammation and pain under control. However, I still have a lot of scar tissue in my joint. Too much for arthroscopic surgery they say. And my surgeon now says to learn to live with it.

Does anyone have experience with what happens over time with that scar tissue if it goes untreated?
AND does anyone have experience with non surgical treatments to remove this scar tissue from inside my joint?

I am allergic to NSAIDS and found that my surgeon simply had nothing to offer in its stead and prohibited me to continue taking my herbal remedies that had helped me for years with my arthritis. I just recently discovered a product called WOBENZYM that has been proven to be as effective as NSAIDS without the side effects! This may be really helpful to those of you who also cannot take NSAIDS.
This research lead me to another enzyme product that promises to dissolve scar tissue in the body. Over time. Does anyone have experience with this?
Please let me know about your experience with excessive scar tissue inside the joint and how to get rid of it non surgically!
Over the past weeks I have received help from a good acupuncturist. I have also simply been massaging it with my leg held straight up against a wall; softening it and trying to massage it out of the joint. It has made the joint better and I have even gotten more ROM. I now can walk stairs again!

Jump to this post

I have been dealing with excessive scar tissue in both of my TKR knees for the past five years. I have also been told that I am not a good candidate for arthroscopic scar tissue removal, so I have tried laser treatments and acupuncture with no relief. The only good news I have is that after about four years it seems that the knees have stabilized and are not continuing to get worse. The bad news is that my initial ROM was between 115-120 degrees and now I have less than 70 degrees ROM and constant pain.

@acamel

Jump to this post

I had my first knee replaced 13 months ago. I was suppose to go back to work but knee was stiff and assumed it may need note time to heal and therapy and got my second knee done too since it needed it and would give me 3 more month recover for my first knee. Im stuck sith both knees still and now out on disability. MUS was discussed but covid closed hospitals down at the time. Im waiting to talk to my surgeon again about mua although it has been a year on both knees now and out of their normal comfort zone to perform mua i don't have osteoporosis. I can barely reach 90 degrees and dont want to learn to live with this! Its like getting new tires on your car but cant get it spun balanced so half the job is done. Yes, im told scar tissue grows back reason why they dont do ablation. If I only knew, I never would have had them replaced. My mental health is not good! There is no cup half filled as far as I see it. Im going to check into WOBENZYM as Im not allowed to take NSAIDS because of the damage they do to the kidneys and Ive been on celebrex and advil a for a few years. This sucks!

@buickturboman

I had my first knee replaced 13 months ago. I was suppose to go back to work but knee was stiff and assumed it may need note time to heal and therapy and got my second knee done too since it needed it and would give me 3 more month recover for my first knee. Im stuck sith both knees still and now out on disability. MUS was discussed but covid closed hospitals down at the time. Im waiting to talk to my surgeon again about mua although it has been a year on both knees now and out of their normal comfort zone to perform mua i don't have osteoporosis. I can barely reach 90 degrees and dont want to learn to live with this! Its like getting new tires on your car but cant get it spun balanced so half the job is done. Yes, im told scar tissue grows back reason why they dont do ablation. If I only knew, I never would have had them replaced. My mental health is not good! There is no cup half filled as far as I see it. Im going to check into WOBENZYM as Im not allowed to take NSAIDS because of the damage they do to the kidneys and Ive been on celebrex and advil a for a few years. This sucks!

Jump to this post

I was told how great it was going to be. After the first i went the stem cell route and PRP and have found that to work for me. I will not get the second one doen. If i had a do over i would not have had the first one done. I have friends who are happy with it and those who are not. Its a crap shoot.

@acamel

Jump to this post

Hello @acamel, Welcome to Connect. It's good to hear that less aggressive PT has helped some with the inflammation and pain. Thanks for sharing the YouTube video link from Anthony Maretato that you found helpful (https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalTherapySolution). While we wait to see if any other members have tried the ASTYM method, I thought I would share a review here that might be helpful for those not familiar with the therapy.

Astym® therapy: a systematic review: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6409241/

It sounds like you are doing much better and are on the road to recovery. Have you done any research into finding a provider for the therapy?

@erikas

@pwsharpe Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. You had a arthroscopic surgery that caused scar tissue but you do now want a revision.

May I ask what you mobility is regarding your knee?

Jump to this post

I had a double TKR 3 years ago. Had to have an MAU because my flex was poor. I Did very painful PT for 4 months, then did alternative therapies for a year. I have limited flex but I’m grateful that I’ve been able to play golf, takes walks, etc but have had continued aching pain in my legs and sharp pain on the inside of one of my knees.
It’s never permanent, but feel a great deal of relief doing myofascial release, so I do that once a month. I tried Graston Technique several times without success. Tonight I’m trying ASTYM. It’s a different, more gentle approach with tools. Fingers crossed!

@exflyer

I have been dealing with excessive scar tissue in both of my TKR knees for the past five years. I have also been told that I am not a good candidate for arthroscopic scar tissue removal, so I have tried laser treatments and acupuncture with no relief. The only good news I have is that after about four years it seems that the knees have stabilized and are not continuing to get worse. The bad news is that my initial ROM was between 115-120 degrees and now I have less than 70 degrees ROM and constant pain.

Jump to this post

Hi exflyer how were you informed about excessive scar tissue? I had a TKR 5 years ago but within the last 3 months the inflamation and pain has increased terribly.

@buickturboman

Jump to this post

@buickturboman You had surgery but surgery left you unable to go back to work and you need another surgery/treatment but you are unable to do this due to COVID-19. Did I get that right?

You add your mental health is not doing good. May I ask what kind of support you have?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.