Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@johnbishop

Hi @captjamesh, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I had my right knee replaced a year ago this past April and the recovery went really well for me. I did have some swelling and pain early on but I think it was because my idea of what I was told to do during rehab and what I actually was doing were two different things. The follow up meeting with the surgeon he explained what he meant by ice and elevate and how much I was actually doing it. So when I got home after my follow up meeting I did ice and elevate every chance I had and did the rehab exercises in between. I think a recumbent exercise bike helped me the best for flexion. That and walking in my driveway when the weather was nice.

I did my rehab at home. Did they give you the exercises you need to do at home or do you go to physical therapy sessions?

Jump to this post

I went 3 times while at the clinic but I am going to have to do it at home because of cost.

@johnbishop

Hi @captjamesh, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I had my right knee replaced a year ago this past April and the recovery went really well for me. I did have some swelling and pain early on but I think it was because my idea of what I was told to do during rehab and what I actually was doing were two different things. The follow up meeting with the surgeon he explained what he meant by ice and elevate and how much I was actually doing it. So when I got home after my follow up meeting I did ice and elevate every chance I had and did the rehab exercises in between. I think a recumbent exercise bike helped me the best for flexion. That and walking in my driveway when the weather was nice.

I did my rehab at home. Did they give you the exercises you need to do at home or do you go to physical therapy sessions?

Jump to this post

Thanks🕛will in Saint Charles , Missouri

This morning was Day 5 since my Total Right knee replacement. All I could think about was how to get some Tylenol 7.5/325 into my coffee. Whew that was 10. I have only used the passive exercise machine. I am going to hit the paperwork after this cools down and do everything by the book. Hope I haven’t messed it up. I have a lot of edema built up . Should I remove this TED hose?

@wildebjef

This morning was Day 5 since my Total Right knee replacement. All I could think about was how to get some Tylenol 7.5/325 into my coffee. Whew that was 10. I have only used the passive exercise machine. I am going to hit the paperwork after this cools down and do everything by the book. Hope I haven’t messed it up. I have a lot of edema built up . Should I remove this TED hose?

Jump to this post

@wildebjef, Hoping the rest of your day goes well with the knee replacement. My surgeon told me the best thing for the swelling was icing the leg down and making sure it's elevated above your heart like when laying on a bed or couch and have pillows to prop your feet and leg up a few inches. He basically told me to keep the leg elevated when sitting down. I had not heard of T.E.D. (thromboembolism-deterrent) but I also wear compression socks (20-30 mmhg) and was not able to get them on my right leg for a few weeks after the TKR. I ended up purchasing some zip-up compression socks and they are much easier to put on.

I would give your surgeon or care team a call about the T.E.D. hose. If you were able to get the T.E.D. hose on, I would leave it on if it were me because they help with the edema. I have lymphedema and the compression socks really help the swelling in my calves.

Are you able to call your surgeon or care team, did they leave you a phone number to call for questions?

@johnbishop

@wildebjef, Hoping the rest of your day goes well with the knee replacement. My surgeon told me the best thing for the swelling was icing the leg down and making sure it's elevated above your heart like when laying on a bed or couch and have pillows to prop your feet and leg up a few inches. He basically told me to keep the leg elevated when sitting down. I had not heard of T.E.D. (thromboembolism-deterrent) but I also wear compression socks (20-30 mmhg) and was not able to get them on my right leg for a few weeks after the TKR. I ended up purchasing some zip-up compression socks and they are much easier to put on.

I would give your surgeon or care team a call about the T.E.D. hose. If you were able to get the T.E.D. hose on, I would leave it on if it were me because they help with the edema. I have lymphedema and the compression socks really help the swelling in my calves.

Are you able to call your surgeon or care team, did they leave you a phone number to call for questions?

Jump to this post

Thanks

Tomorrow will be 2 full weeks since surgery and I am so happy because I can lift my leg up from a sitting position for the first time today!!!! That quad was really in bad shape after being cut

I had a partial knee replacement done 10 years ageand it has been fine. I’m a dancer and have actively danced on it from 8 weeks post surgery. I had a partial done on my other knee in May and had nothing but issues with it. It continued to be painful and when I had my first tele-visit follow-up at 3 weeks they said oh you’re still in the 12 Wk post op period, it will get better. PT kept saying they could feel scar tissue and continued to try to break it up. At 15 weeks I requested an in person visit with the surgeon. He took X-rays and said everything was aligned and looked fine maybe my body just needed more time to feel better. I had great range of motion so it wasn’t scar tissue but still felt pain in the joint. I saw my regular orthopedist for other issues and mentioned it to him. He took more xrays and said I had bone spurs on the patella. He recommended that I get them removed. He went in arthroscopically and removed a large bone spur and scar tissue along the incision line where I had been saying it hurt to stand or walk. That day after surgery it didn’t hurt to stand. Within 4 days I was able to walk and stand without joint pain and was up to 85 on the CPM. I can’t even explain how relieved I am. Yes there is some minor surgery pain but nothing like what I was feeling.

I had both knees done is 2007 and they have been swollen for about 3 years after the surgery. They are painful if I go up a few steps or if I do a lot of bending l when I pull weeds in my yard and flower garden. I have been to 4 orthopedic surgeons that said lose weight. I have lost weigh and it has not helped. I finally saw a surgeon that said my patella was rubbing on the femur. That was the reason my knees are swollen. He said he could do surgery, but wouldn't guarantee it would be fixed forever. What do you think? Should I have surgery? I'm 72 years old and healthy. Pat

@pattyp845

I had both knees done is 2007 and they have been swollen for about 3 years after the surgery. They are painful if I go up a few steps or if I do a lot of bending l when I pull weeds in my yard and flower garden. I have been to 4 orthopedic surgeons that said lose weight. I have lost weigh and it has not helped. I finally saw a surgeon that said my patella was rubbing on the femur. That was the reason my knees are swollen. He said he could do surgery, but wouldn't guarantee it would be fixed forever. What do you think? Should I have surgery? I'm 72 years old and healthy. Pat

Jump to this post

Hi @pattyp845, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. You sound like a very active 72 year old who really loves gardening and flowers. I know from my limited skills that pulling weeds all day can be hard on the knees. The fact that you lost weight should help with your overall health and is one of my goals that I have been working on this year.

Is your concern that the surgeon said he could fix the problem with surgery but it wouldn't last forever? I'm 77 and just had my right knee replaced last year and life is so much better even if I can't get down on my hands and knees like I used to do. If it were me, I would go for it and get it fixed. I have no medical background or training but know that as we get older, body parts wear out. There are things we can control to minimize and reduce the wear and tear of our everyday activities. What is your biggest worry or concern about having the surgery?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.