Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@wojo

How long after knee replacement does scar tissue keep developing? I thought I was good to go after physical therapy ended.

Jump to this post

I wish someone with experience would answer your question....I'd like to know as well.

@toromama

I wish someone with experience would answer your question....I'd like to know as well.

Jump to this post

@toromama and @wojo It's just my non medical patient opinion but I doubt if anyone can answer the question you are asking just because everyone is different as to healing process. That said here is some information I found that talks about it...

"How long does scar tissue continue to grow after surgery?
Scars can take up to 1 year to mature fully and go through four stages of healing. This slow process may explain why some people do not experience scar tissue pain immediately. Initially, the scarring may look minimal, but over 4–6 weeks, the scar may get bigger or become raised, firm, and thick. Jun 29, 2020" - Scar tissue pain: What it feels like, why it happens, and treatment: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/scar-tissue-pain

@carolamead

Exact same problem...look into metal allergy testing, watch Netflix “Bleeding Edge” to see how we are being used for untested devices.

Jump to this post

I too have a major knee prob. 2 1/2 yrs. post-op.Knee is still awful. Also have hi alum.levels in my blood. Was told my knee is S & N Genesis 2-no carbon,Chromium but a mysterious compound. Maybe ceramics but no proof. Please contact me.

@mnitchke

I too have a major knee prob. 2 1/2 yrs. post-op.Knee is still awful. Also have hi alum.levels in my blood. Was told my knee is S & N Genesis 2-no carbon,Chromium but a mysterious compound. Maybe ceramics but no proof. Please contact me.

Jump to this post

@mnitchke, We removed your email address from your reply to @carolamead to protect your privacy and prevent spammers from harvesting your email address from Connect which is a public place on the Internet. If you wish to exchange contact information with another member, you can use the Private Message function on Connect by clicking on a members name. This will take you to the members profile page where you can click the Send Private Message link under their profile description.

@johnbishop

@toromama and @wojo It's just my non medical patient opinion but I doubt if anyone can answer the question you are asking just because everyone is different as to healing process. That said here is some information I found that talks about it...

"How long does scar tissue continue to grow after surgery?
Scars can take up to 1 year to mature fully and go through four stages of healing. This slow process may explain why some people do not experience scar tissue pain immediately. Initially, the scarring may look minimal, but over 4–6 weeks, the scar may get bigger or become raised, firm, and thick. Jun 29, 2020" - Scar tissue pain: What it feels like, why it happens, and treatment: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/scar-tissue-pain

Jump to this post

I had an appointment with my surgeon today regarding the tightness/heaviness in my knees. He measured my ROM at 105 in both knees. He has me scheduled for a MUA on both knees next Tuesday. I'll have it done in the morning and then start daily PT that same day...every day for 2 weeks and then tapered down from there. He said he had one patient that he had to do an MUA on every year for 3 years before it got better. He avoids the arthroscopic cleanouts because of the potential for infection. Praying this works!

@toromama

I had an appointment with my surgeon today regarding the tightness/heaviness in my knees. He measured my ROM at 105 in both knees. He has me scheduled for a MUA on both knees next Tuesday. I'll have it done in the morning and then start daily PT that same day...every day for 2 weeks and then tapered down from there. He said he had one patient that he had to do an MUA on every year for 3 years before it got better. He avoids the arthroscopic cleanouts because of the potential for infection. Praying this works!

Jump to this post

I had TKR on both knees. Right done 11-4-19 second 2-5-20 and both tight. My ROM was just at 90 when pushing it. I was never given mua I guess because pre op rom was sane as it is now but I was completely functional prior to surgery and not now. Terrible tightness that gets worse as the day progresses. I had enough. It is now a year. Mua only done 3 mos out by most. My one surgeon that did my one knee wouldnt do it, the other one agreed and done yesterday. I submitted a study from NIH Efficacy of mua at different intervals. He manipulated mr to 120 degrees and I start therapy today. Im sore walking gently knowing therapy is going to be tough to push to the limits not easy. Wish I could take advil but my kidney functions tells me not to by family doctor. Have hydrocodone but too strong. May need to take half before my session.

@buickturboman Did you have a chance to scroll through the discussion I have linked below?

- Knee pain post surgery https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/knee-pain-post-surgery/

I have gone to a massage therapist. Not very happy with my overall status 7 months post-op.

@mr11344

I have gone to a massage therapist. Not very happy with my overall status 7 months post-op.

Jump to this post

I’m three years out and started PT again. You know – the stretching fun part of PT?! Six weeks and I’m actually making pretty good progress. Hoping to keep myself away from the scalpel again

@golfshrink

I’m three years out and started PT again. You know – the stretching fun part of PT?! Six weeks and I’m actually making pretty good progress. Hoping to keep myself away from the scalpel again

Jump to this post

What pain meds were you on and how long?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.