Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@jakeduck
So you can butcher a beautiful cow with those two gorgeous mournful brown eyes and long eyelashes.? 😔
Are you saying chickens aren’t cute? Tiny adorable chicks grow up to be chickens and you eat chicken.🤔
I guess this is why people are vegetarians.

Have a stress free day my sparing partner....still eating candy?

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
Beautiful, gorgeous? Sounds like someone checked out of hotel reality. Oh yeah like there’s any comparison, besides someone has to eat it so you can have shoes and clothes. Anything as ugly as a chicken deserves to be eaten. My kidney doctor suggested I become a vegetarian then tell me I can’t have this veg or that veggie. Good thing he’s a doctor and not a salesman.
Jake

@debbraw

Inspired by @merpreb @imallears and some of the rest of you, I bought Israeli Couscous and made a delicious roasted veggie couscous dish for dinner last night. Thanks for sharing good ideas here! I used a prepackaged bag of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots along with some poblano pepper and sweet red pepper strips. Put all of that on a cookie sheet sprinkle with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Cook the couscous, mix it up with the veggies. Just delicious!!

Jump to this post

@debbraw

Yum...I like couscous too...can’t go wrong roasting veggies and I find the prepackaged brocolli, cauliflower and carrots easier and cheaper in the long run. I pull the brocolli out first and I like it near charred.
Try taking frozen corn and putting on frying pan with a little EVO... brings out the sweetness ...I do this with Marzano tomatoes.
Throw any of this stuff on couscous or faro or brown rice.......so healthy and tasty., cheap and fast. Toss sliced scallions on top..now we’re talking.

FL Mary...gone for the day

@debbraw

Inspired by @merpreb @imallears and some of the rest of you, I bought Israeli Couscous and made a delicious roasted veggie couscous dish for dinner last night. Thanks for sharing good ideas here! I used a prepackaged bag of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots along with some poblano pepper and sweet red pepper strips. Put all of that on a cookie sheet sprinkle with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Cook the couscous, mix it up with the veggies. Just delicious!!

Jump to this post

@debbraw
Prepackaged, I like the sound of that. How long did it take you to make?
Jake

@imallears

@jakeduck
So you can butcher a beautiful cow with those two gorgeous mournful brown eyes and long eyelashes.? 😔
Are you saying chickens aren’t cute? Tiny adorable chicks grow up to be chickens and you eat chicken.🤔
I guess this is why people are vegetarians.

Have a stress free day my sparing partner....still eating candy?

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
Well finally, your talking normal.
Jake

@imallers never had nutritional yeast is it just a flavor enhancer or a specific taste?

@contentandwell

@imallears There is no lactose in aged cheese so the hard cheeses like Parmesan and Romano are fine for those of us who are lactose intolerant. Apparently the lactose is in the whey and that drops out during the aging. I can eat them, plus aged cheddar, Swiss, and some aged blue cheeses.
I miss being able to have a caprese salad though, goat cheese, and ricotta.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I must be lactose intolerant because I cant do dairy but hard cheese I can . When I do dairy my tinnitus sounds like a swarm of bumblebees in my ear. And I do Almond milk

@lioness

@imallers never had nutritional yeast is it just a flavor enhancer or a specific taste?

Jump to this post

@lioness
I’d say it has a mild nutty somewhat cheesy flavor...a yellow powder...so a specific taste. I use it on popcorn in place of salt and I’ve put it on top of eggs and in some soups. It has a lot of the B vitamins and is fairly low in calories but some people may be allergic to it. It is yeast and they say that sensitive people or those with Crohns disease, glaucoma or hypertension may have adverse reactions . You’re not using a lot...just sprinkling. Sprinkled on roasted veggies with tumeric also. It’s not a necessary thing to have and I seem to use it mainly on popcorn and eggs and use half Parmesan half yeast on pasta depending on the pasta dish. I really like it on scrambled eggs and popcorn and occasionally sprinkle on salads just for the vitamins but the taste gets lost in the salads.

FL Mary

@imallears

@lioness
I’d say it has a mild nutty somewhat cheesy flavor...a yellow powder...so a specific taste. I use it on popcorn in place of salt and I’ve put it on top of eggs and in some soups. It has a lot of the B vitamins and is fairly low in calories but some people may be allergic to it. It is yeast and they say that sensitive people or those with Crohns disease, glaucoma or hypertension may have adverse reactions . You’re not using a lot...just sprinkling. Sprinkled on roasted veggies with tumeric also. It’s not a necessary thing to have and I seem to use it mainly on popcorn and eggs and use half Parmesan half yeast on pasta depending on the pasta dish. I really like it on scrambled eggs and popcorn and occasionally sprinkle on salads just for the vitamins but the taste gets lost in the salads.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallers Thanks I like the Bagel seasoning on popcorn, cream cheese with it

@jakedduck1

@debbraw
Prepackaged, I like the sound of that. How long did it take you to make?
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 - Leonard, this is your kind of recipe. It took 2 minutes to find the scissors and open the bag of veggies. Another couple of minutes to cut up some peppers (optional). About 30 seconds to sprinkle all the veggies with olive oil. Once popped in the 400 degree oven leave it for 20 minutes. While it is cooking, boil water and cook the couscous according to package directions. It probably won't take more than 8 - 10 minutes. All of this happens while your veggies are in the oven. Once they are out, mix together the couscous and veggies. I promise that you will not have spent more than 5 minutes prepping this and you will be rewarded by a delicious and healthy dish! Enjoy. PS: Please write back and say the three little words every woman loves to hear: "You were right"....

@imallears - Mary - I will definitely put in the frozen corn next time. Sounds excellent. Thanks for the tip!

@lioness

@contentandwell I must be lactose intolerant because I cant do dairy but hard cheese I can . When I do dairy my tinnitus sounds like a swarm of bumblebees in my ear. And I do Almond milk

Jump to this post

@lioness. If you can only do aged cheeses you probably are lactose intolerant. Some people who are can eat regular yogurt, generally full fat type, and some can eat goat cheese. I cannot. It took me a long time to figure out what was causing my problem, I thought it was from my immunosuppressants. Now I think my immunosuppressants triggered it since it started right after I began taking them.
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.