Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

Was Thursday the day after a crossfit session? Even on prednisone with fairly well controlled joint and muscle pain, I always wake with extra joint aches after doing a little more gardening than usual, or after trying out a new light exercise to help mitigate muscle deterioration.

@wilmingtonemperor

So I am off prednisone entirely for 3 weeks at this point and all of the effects that are referred to in the Forum have showed up. Thursday morning I woke up stiff in all the major joints and most surprisingly in the hands and wrists which are toughest to deal with in the morning. By mid morning I have loosened up enough to consider myself OK but not the hands and wrists which makes shaving difficult. I would like to hear from other members of this august group as to whether your Docs review Sed rate, mine is high, and Hgb and Hct. Mine are low enough to classify me as anemic. I try to get moving as soon as possible each day and do CrossFit 2 days a week.

Jump to this post

wilmigtonemperor, after reading a lot of discussions on this site, it is evident that no two stories are identical. Similar, but everyone's story seems to take a 'twist'.
IMO your anemia is causing your elevated sed rate. In the last few years my H&H has dipped into the slightly anemic state with flares but returned to normal when my inflammation was under control. Abnormal lab test results seem to normalize as inflammation decreases. I have standing orders for monthly crp and sed rate. My crp is more sensitive than sed rate. With every flare my crp is abnormally elevated, sed rate elevates but not to the extent it's in the abnormal range. And I have had hand, wrist involvement. Perhaps you should have xrays. My latest flare involved my hands, not my hips and shoulders like in the beginning of my pmr journey. I seem to have developed inflammatory arthritis, synovitis, along with osteoarthritis in my hands. My rheumatologist is postulating prednisone tapering triggering an autoimmune response. Vicious circle. I went back up to 10 mg in July, now at 7 mg. Find as many anti inflammatory foods you enjoy eating. The osteoarthritis in my hands is not going to go away. I'm trying to ward off the swelling I had this last flare.
Sometimes I ice my hands later in the day, heat in the morning, gentle hand exercises, low impact exercise. I focus on more healthy foods than I used to eat. I focus on meal planning. Simple things like picking a healthier bread, salad dressing, cereal, fruits, lower fat lower salt snacks will help lessen inflammation. Read labels.
suzanne

@pmrsuzie

wilmigtonemperor, after reading a lot of discussions on this site, it is evident that no two stories are identical. Similar, but everyone's story seems to take a 'twist'.
IMO your anemia is causing your elevated sed rate. In the last few years my H&H has dipped into the slightly anemic state with flares but returned to normal when my inflammation was under control. Abnormal lab test results seem to normalize as inflammation decreases. I have standing orders for monthly crp and sed rate. My crp is more sensitive than sed rate. With every flare my crp is abnormally elevated, sed rate elevates but not to the extent it's in the abnormal range. And I have had hand, wrist involvement. Perhaps you should have xrays. My latest flare involved my hands, not my hips and shoulders like in the beginning of my pmr journey. I seem to have developed inflammatory arthritis, synovitis, along with osteoarthritis in my hands. My rheumatologist is postulating prednisone tapering triggering an autoimmune response. Vicious circle. I went back up to 10 mg in July, now at 7 mg. Find as many anti inflammatory foods you enjoy eating. The osteoarthritis in my hands is not going to go away. I'm trying to ward off the swelling I had this last flare.
Sometimes I ice my hands later in the day, heat in the morning, gentle hand exercises, low impact exercise. I focus on more healthy foods than I used to eat. I focus on meal planning. Simple things like picking a healthier bread, salad dressing, cereal, fruits, lower fat lower salt snacks will help lessen inflammation. Read labels.
suzanne

Jump to this post

"My rheumatologist is postulating prednisone tapering triggering an autoimmune response. Vicious circle. I went back up to 10 mg in July, now at 7 mg."

Can you explain what your rheumatologist means by this?

It seems like 7 mg of prednisone is a tough dose for many people. My personal belief is that 7 mg isn't enough prednisone to regulate inflammation. Prednisone replaces the cortisol that your adrenals should produce.

Approximately 5-7 mg of prednisone is the equivalent to the "physiological amount of cortisol" that your adrenals need to produce on a daily basis. Cortisol is an essential hormone that affects almost every organ and tissue in your body. It plays many important roles, including regulating inflammation.

My guess is there begins to be a shortfall of cortisol caused by prednisone induced adrenal insufficiency. This in turn results in the body's inability to regulate inflammation. We either increase our prednisone dose or face the consequences of adrenal insufficiency.

Yes ... it does become a vicious circle:

Not taking more prednisone causes unregulated inflammation and inflammatory pain.

Taking more prednisone continues to suppress adrenal function. This causes adrenal insufficiency which can be painful too.

@dadcue

"My rheumatologist is postulating prednisone tapering triggering an autoimmune response. Vicious circle. I went back up to 10 mg in July, now at 7 mg."

Can you explain what your rheumatologist means by this?

It seems like 7 mg of prednisone is a tough dose for many people. My personal belief is that 7 mg isn't enough prednisone to regulate inflammation. Prednisone replaces the cortisol that your adrenals should produce.

Approximately 5-7 mg of prednisone is the equivalent to the "physiological amount of cortisol" that your adrenals need to produce on a daily basis. Cortisol is an essential hormone that affects almost every organ and tissue in your body. It plays many important roles, including regulating inflammation.

My guess is there begins to be a shortfall of cortisol caused by prednisone induced adrenal insufficiency. This in turn results in the body's inability to regulate inflammation. We either increase our prednisone dose or face the consequences of adrenal insufficiency.

Yes ... it does become a vicious circle:

Not taking more prednisone causes unregulated inflammation and inflammatory pain.

Taking more prednisone continues to suppress adrenal function. This causes adrenal insufficiency which can be painful too.

Jump to this post

Here's what happened at my last visit at the rheumatologist: the practice is associated with a large university medical center. My Dr is also a professor and has a 'fellow' in training. It was her first day. She did the routine questioning assessment of how I was doing, had a discussion with my Dr and then they both came in the room. So besides asking ME questions, THEY were having a conversation about pmr treatment, what can go wrong and why. My pmr seemed to be gone and the inflammation attacked the joints in my hands. Maybe because I already had osteoarthriti in those joints.Paraphrasing what he said to her was .... How many times have we seen tapering trigger inflammation somewhere else. My hands were visibly swollen. They said I need more than prednisone and suggested methotrexate.
This whole cortisol thing has never been brought up at any of my appts. I will ask some questions at my next appt. which was s in Oct.. My appt is with the new Dr, not sure if my reg Dr will be there also.

@pmrsuzie

Here's what happened at my last visit at the rheumatologist: the practice is associated with a large university medical center. My Dr is also a professor and has a 'fellow' in training. It was her first day. She did the routine questioning assessment of how I was doing, had a discussion with my Dr and then they both came in the room. So besides asking ME questions, THEY were having a conversation about pmr treatment, what can go wrong and why. My pmr seemed to be gone and the inflammation attacked the joints in my hands. Maybe because I already had osteoarthriti in those joints.Paraphrasing what he said to her was .... How many times have we seen tapering trigger inflammation somewhere else. My hands were visibly swollen. They said I need more than prednisone and suggested methotrexate.
This whole cortisol thing has never been brought up at any of my appts. I will ask some questions at my next appt. which was s in Oct.. My appt is with the new Dr, not sure if my reg Dr will be there also.

Jump to this post

Thank-you for your reply.

My appointments over the years at a large university medical center were just like your appointment. I almost always had a fellow and a professor in rheumatology as my staff doctor and sometimes 2 staff rheumatolgists. They all seemed very interested in my case and I liked all of the attention. The educational discussions they had with the fellow were educational to me as well.

The cortisol thing is more in the purview of an endocrinologist. You might get to see one of those doctors when you get to a lower dose of prednisone. I think there should be joint specialty consisting of training in endocrinology and rheumatology.

@dadcue

Thank-you for your reply.

My appointments over the years at a large university medical center were just like your appointment. I almost always had a fellow and a professor in rheumatology as my staff doctor and sometimes 2 staff rheumatolgists. They all seemed very interested in my case and I liked all of the attention. The educational discussions they had with the fellow were educational to me as well.

The cortisol thing is more in the purview of an endocrinologist. You might get to see one of those doctors when you get to a lower dose of prednisone. I think there should be joint specialty consisting of training in endocrinology and rheumatology.

Jump to this post

I WAS seeing an endocrinologist for several years until a couple years ago when she thought my problem was stable enough for my pcp to order yearly thyroid tests. Back in the 1980s I had what they referred to then as a 'cold' nodule and had surgery to remove it and half of my thyroid on that side. It was benign. I have never had abnormal thyroid tests (knocking on wood). But down the road I developed what she referred to as benign nodular thyroid if I remember correctly. She did her own sonograms in her office. I had multiple thyroid sonograms. She was also ordering my bone density and reclast infusions. So if necessary, I can go back there.
She is an excellent Dr.
suzanne

@pmrsuzie

I WAS seeing an endocrinologist for several years until a couple years ago when she thought my problem was stable enough for my pcp to order yearly thyroid tests. Back in the 1980s I had what they referred to then as a 'cold' nodule and had surgery to remove it and half of my thyroid on that side. It was benign. I have never had abnormal thyroid tests (knocking on wood). But down the road I developed what she referred to as benign nodular thyroid if I remember correctly. She did her own sonograms in her office. I had multiple thyroid sonograms. She was also ordering my bone density and reclast infusions. So if necessary, I can go back there.
She is an excellent Dr.
suzanne

Jump to this post

I won't pretend to know anything about thyroid function. However, the thyroid, the adrenals, cortisol levels combined with autoimmune disorders like PMR are potentially an endocrine problem just as much as a rheumatology problem. Your medical history sounds complicated.

Seeing your endocrinologist again might be a good idea. Maybe a followup visit or send her a note to let her know that you have been on prednisone. It sounds like you are having difficulty tapering off prednisone. Depending on how long you have been on prednisone, you will probably need an endocrinologist eventually.

When people take prednisone for a long time and have difficulty tapering off prednisone, the chances of an endocrine problem are more likely. That is why I see an endocrinologist.

At the very least, it would be interesting to see what your endocrinologist says.

@johnbishop

I think there are too many variables for how long PMR normally lasts. My experience matches up with info from the Arthritis Foundation:

"It typically develops by age 70 and is rarely seen in people younger than 50. PMR may last from one to five years; however, it varies from person to person. Approximately 15 percent of people with PMR develop a potentially dangerous condition called giant cell arteritis."
--- Polymyalgia Rheumatica - Arthritis Foundation: https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/polymyalgia-rheumatica.

My first occurrence of PMR came at age 64 and lasted 3 and half years until I was able to taper off. My second occurrence came at age 73 and lasted one and a half years. I credit the shorter visit the second time around with PMR with lifestyle changes I made, more exercise, eating healthier, eliminating most processed foods and sugar. I do still have my treats but not like the old days.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the post. I am new to PMR having contracted it at 78, but have long noted that sugar intake increases inflammation. Having recently lost my husband, I took to self comfort with poor eating habits, and am in the process of revering that.

@1sunny

Thanks for the post. I am new to PMR having contracted it at 78, but have long noted that sugar intake increases inflammation. Having recently lost my husband, I took to self comfort with poor eating habits, and am in the process of revering that.

Jump to this post

Hello @1sunny, Welcome to Connect. I'm sorry for the recent loss of your husband. That has to make dealing with PMR that much more difficult. I'm happy to hear that you are in the process of changing some eating habits. That was also one of my more difficult things to do but it really helped shorten my second time around with PMR and I'm hoping it helps keep it away forever.

There are many other discussions in the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group that you might find helpful in dealing with PMR. Here is the list of discussions if you want to take a look - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/polymyalgia-rheumatica-pmr/.

Do you find that some stretching and a little exercise helps in the mornings to get rid of the stiffness when you wake up?

Has anyone had any experience with PR when you have had knee replacements? It seems like it should make walking easier but not sure that is the case. Just wondering……

Please sign in or register to post a reply.