Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

@terrym

Hello all, new to PMR and finding this Connect site very helpful.

I'm a 63 yo male, diagnosed in late June of this year and feel lucky that I was diagnosed quickly, especially after seeing others suffer for years before proper diagnosis. I'm also a type 2 diabetic with mild hypertension.

In April I started having more stiffness in my hips/back than the typical morning stiffness, but not horrible and kept putting off seeing an ortho, thinking it was mild sciatica. In mid/late May, my hip flexors started getting sore and then my right knee started to get stiff/sore. I finally got an ortho appointment June 7th. By the time of my appointment, both hip flexors and knees were sore and stiff (4-5/10 pain scale) pain dropped a bit after early morning walk with the dog, but was constant and built throughout the day. The x-rays showed no damage, but blood tests showed elevated inflammation markers (CRP and ESR) but rheumatoid factor and ANA were negative. He thought it may still be Rheumatoid Arthritis, so he gave me a referral to see a Rheumatologist and a prescription for a 6-day pack of methylprednisolone. Within a few hours felt a lot better and the next day all the pain was gone. The day after finishing the course of meds, the pain started coming back and the following day was fully back. Well, as everyone has found out, it was two months out to see the rheumatologist and the pain started increasing and was in both hip joins and both knee joints. Both shoulders and wrists were also sore, but I attributed that to over exertion to compensate for lifting/pulling my self along because of the leg pain. It took a week to see my new PCP's Nurse Practitioner (NP) and by then, June 26th, the pain level was at a constant 5-6/10 and walking didn't help much anymore. A full panel of blood tests ruled out Lupus, Lyme's, gout, HIV, etc. The inflammation markers were up 3x and 5x from previous elevated tests. I was prescribed Meloxicam, but unfortunately the pain was getting worse, or so seemed because it was constant without any relief and lack of sleep. I could only work for 2-3 hours a day and then went home and laid flat with a pillow under my knees that let me doze for 15 minutes every couple of hours. The entire next July 4th week it was so bad I stayed home in misery. A couple of times I extremely painfully got into the car and sat for 5 minutes but was in so much pain I went back in and laid down. I called the NP on that Wednesday and she called in a 20mg dose of prednisone and we both agreed I most likely had PMR and not RA. Finally within a couple hours of starting, things improved and a few days later I felt fairly normal, except that by early evening the pain and stiffness started returning. After a follow up visit with my NP on July 26th, we thought it best to split the prednisone to 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening and that did the trick. I was feeling back to normal, except for being a bit exhausted and weak from the inactivity as well a losing 20 lbs in 5-6 weeks. Finally saw the rheumatologist about two weeks ago. She agreed that it is PMR. She seemed a bit surprised that I had bilateral pain in all joints (except ankle) at the same time. I also had not seen anyone describe that in any of the posts here or anywhere online. She did "scold" me for splitting my prednisone dose and insisted I only take in the morning as well as asking why I was on such a "high dose" at 20mg and the need to start tapering. Also started me on calcium/vit D supplements for bone loss since I will be on prednisone for awhile. Within three days of dropping to 17.5mg in the morning only, things came roaring back...... I immediately returned to 10mg morn and eve for two days and by the next day was back to pain free. I then went to 10mg morning and 7.5 evening and have only had very mild stiffness pain (1-2/10) in the shoulders the past ten days. At the two week mark, I will go to 7.5 morn/eve and see how that goes.

A few closing items:
- As I mentioned earlier, I feel lucky that this was diagnosed quickly
- Looking forward to tapering the prednisone, but will do it on my schedule, not as prescribed by my rheumatologist. Some great threads on tapering on this site! It is messing with my sleep and blood sugars, as well as having the typical jitters, flushing and very occasional heartbeat issues, but that is better than the pain, as long as I can taper down.
- Also, some good threads here on our providers not listening to us as individuals, but thinking everyone is the same.
- I've attached an article from a doctor who went through the same thing and really struck a cord with me.

Thanks, Terry

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for the link. Great article!

@terrym

I'm a 63 yo male, diagnosed in late June of this year and feel lucky that I was diagnosed quickly, especially after seeing others suffer for years before proper diagnosis. I'm also a type 2 diabetic with mild hypertension.

In April I started having more stiffness in my hips/back than the typical morning stiffness, but not horrible and kept putting off seeing an ortho, thinking it was mild sciatica. In mid/late May, my hip flexors started getting sore and then my right knee started to get stiff/sore. I finally got an ortho appointment June 7th. By the time of my appointment, both hip flexors and knees were sore and stiff (4-5/10 pain scale) pain dropped a bit after early morning walk with the dog, but was constant and built throughout the day. The x-rays showed no damage, but blood tests showed elevated inflammation markers (CRP and ESR) but rheumatoid factor and ANA were negative. He thought it may still be Rheumatoid Arthritis, so he gave me a referral to see a Rheumatologist and a prescription for a 6-day pack of methylprednisolone. Within a few hours felt a lot better and the next day all the pain was gone. The day after finishing the course of meds, the pain started coming back and the following day was fully back. Well, as everyone has found out, it was two months out to see the rheumatologist and the pain started increasing and was in both hip joins and both knee joints. Both shoulders and wrists were also sore, but I attributed that to over exertion to compensate for lifting/pulling my self along because of the leg pain. It took a week to see my new PCP's Nurse Practitioner (NP) and by then, June 26th, the pain level was at a constant 5-6/10 and walking didn't help much anymore. A full panel of blood tests ruled out Lupus, Lyme's, gout, HIV, etc. The inflammation markers were up 3x and 5x from previous elevated tests. I was prescribed Meloxicam, but unfortunately the pain was getting worse, or so seemed because it was constant without any relief and lack of sleep. I could only work for 2-3 hours a day and then went home and laid flat with a pillow under my knees that let me doze for 15 minutes every couple of hours. The entire next July 4th week it was so bad I stayed home in misery. A couple of times I extremely painfully got into the car and sat for 5 minutes but was in so much pain I went back in and laid down. I called the NP on that Wednesday and she called in a 20mg dose of prednisone and we both agreed I most likely had PMR and not RA. Finally within a couple hours of starting, things improved and a few days later I felt fairly normal, except that by early evening the pain and stiffness started returning. After a follow up visit with my NP on July 26th, we thought it best to split the prednisone to 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening and that did the trick. I was feeling back to normal, except for being a bit exhausted and weak from the inactivity as well a losing 20 lbs in 5-6 weeks. Finally saw the rheumatologist about two weeks ago. She agreed that it is PMR. She seemed a bit surprised that I had bilateral pain in all joints (except ankle) at the same time. I also had not seen anyone describe that in any of the posts here or anywhere online. She did "scold" me for splitting my prednisone dose and insisted I only take in the morning as well as asking why I was on such a "high dose" at 20mg and the need to start tapering. Also started me on calcium/vit D supplements for bone loss since I will be on prednisone for awhile. Within three days of dropping to 17.5mg in the morning only, things came roaring back...... I immediately returned to 10mg morn and eve for two days and by the next day was back to pain free. I then went to 10mg morning and 7.5 evening and have only had very mild stiffness pain (1-2/10) in the shoulders the past ten days. At the two week mark, I will go to 7.5 morn/eve and see how that goes.

A few closing items:
- Looking forward to tapering the prednisone, but will do it on my schedule, not as prescribed by my rheumatologist. Some great threads on tapering on this site! It is messing with my sleep and blood sugars, as well as having the typical jitters, flushing and very occasional heartbeat issues, but that is better than the pain, as long as I can taper down.
- Also, some good threads here on our providers not listening to us as individuals, but thinking everyone is the same.
- I've attached an article from a doctor who went through the same thing and really struck a cord with me.

Thanks, Terry

Jump to this post

Hi @tryym, After straining my right ankle, my PMR pain was constant, from the neck down, everywhere in my body. It was like I stepped into an Astronaut suit of pain and stiffness. No amount of exercise that I was able to manage made it any better. Later that pain eased up, but I developed other symptoms. I couldn't even turn my head, my neck was so stiff and sore. I wasn't on Prednisone at that time. Was diagnosed with GCA a year after symptoms started, on prednisone about a year and a half, and off it now, nearly a year with no flareups.
My PCP said he missed the PMR because I didn't present the textbook symptoms!

@terrym

A few closing items:

Thanks, Terry

Jump to this post

Terry, I have had a lot if ups and downs with my pmr. My pcp sent me to the er once because after doing xrays and bloodwork because my left hand was very painful, my WBC count was very high looking like an infection. It was not an infection but an immune response. They gave me 60mg of medrol in an IV. It worked.
I also have a shoulder problem which acts up once in awhile but it's rotator cuff related. I have found physical therapy helpful for some of the isolated problems like my shoulder, my neck, and my hands. I have had the same therapist for these problems and he was extremely helpful. Heat or ice may help. Maybe heat in the morning, I am now periodically icing my hands during the day to see if I can keep my inflammatory arthritis from flaring. I'm also modifying my diet. I found a couple of good anti-inflammation diet magazines that have helpful articles and suggestions about lifestyle changes that could be beneficial. Every little bit helps, one day at a time.
suzanne

I have found bags of frozen peas to be an excellent choice for ice packs. Very inexpensive and conform nicely where they're needed. I've been icing my hands in the car -not driving of course - seems to be helping.

@johnbishop

Thanks for starting a PMR Group Ethan @ethanmcconkey! I hope other members with PMR will share their experience and share any tips they have.

I've had 2 occurrences of PMR. The first time it took me a little over 3 years to taper off of prednisone. The second occurence 6 years later, it took me 1-1/2 years to taper off of prednisone. I lived with a minor amount of aches and pains at each taper point but kept going unless the pain was really bad. It might help to keep a tapering off log and write down the dosage and the pain level so that you have something to compare with each time you drop the dosage. I started tapering by 1/2 mg when it got difficult and that seemed to help me.

Jump to this post

What was your initial dose? I am new to managing PMR and have found relief with 10 mg. of prednisone, and an additional 15 - 7.5 mg. of meloxicam as needed. The benefits of prednisone are great in that the pain is reduced enough to feel like I can "breathe easily." The side effects of moodiness and relapse of depression symptoms are not-so-good. I walk and do pilates and yoga too. I will have an appointment with a new physician in October because of a recent change in where my husband and I now are residing. I know consulting with a physician will help me choose my best course of action, but I also appreciate those who are in the know because you are living with this.

@oldskibunny

What was your initial dose? I am new to managing PMR and have found relief with 10 mg. of prednisone, and an additional 15 - 7.5 mg. of meloxicam as needed. The benefits of prednisone are great in that the pain is reduced enough to feel like I can "breathe easily." The side effects of moodiness and relapse of depression symptoms are not-so-good. I walk and do pilates and yoga too. I will have an appointment with a new physician in October because of a recent change in where my husband and I now are residing. I know consulting with a physician will help me choose my best course of action, but I also appreciate those who are in the know because you are living with this.

Jump to this post

Welcome @oldskibunny, I started both of my occurrences of PMR with 20mg prednisone doses. It relieved my pain within an hour or so of taking the first dose.

It’s great that you are exercising and eating healthy. That’s a big plus for PMR.

Do you keep a daily log of your level of pain when you first get up and your dose for the day?

back to the beginning for me
It was Thanksgiving 2018. I got up that morning or at least attempted to get up but had this horrible hip pain and could hardly walk. Felt better after I walked around a little bit. Got an appt with my pcp early the next week. She prescribed a medrol pack. In the meantime I made an appt with the ortho dr. I felt great while taking the medicine but the pain quickly came back with the last day of the steroid. And now my shoulders were also aching. The ortho office does their own xrays. The dr came in to tell me he could not help me, I needed to see a rheumatologisr. No clue what the problem was and I could tell he felt bad that he couldn't help me. So I left that office, went up to the 6th floor to rheumatology. They could not give me an appt because the two big health insurance providers here were feuding about hospitals. So I went home and made an appt with the other hospital network some distance away the first week in Jan with the P A, not a dr. I researched rheumatic conditions, found pmr, and it was like hitting bingo. I called my pcp, told her I thought that pmr could be my diagnosis and she ordered a battery of blood tests. My crp was 87, sed rate was 60 and RA, ANA, and cpp antibody were negative. Within 3 weeks I had a diagnosis and started on 20 mg prednisone. The P A was not there the day of my appt so I actually saw the dr. He agreed with the pmr diagnosis.
The insurance companies ended their feud and I was able to switch to the practice located in the same bldg with my other drs. It's been a roller coaster ride ever since. My biggest problem is when I taper less than 5 mg. I'm at 7.5 mg now for a couple weeks.
When I left the dr office after that very first visit, he told me I would be more susceptible to viruses etc because I was immunosuppressed. Within a week, I had the worst case of bronchitis ever. I slept, tried to sleep, downstairs because of coughing all night. So with covid, flu and rsv lurking everywhere you need to be mindful when you're out and about.
I do have some medical background, lab related. I worked in a hospital chemistry lab dept for many years.
I have found this website helpful, sharing real experiences is very beneficial.
suzanne

@oldskibunny

Jump to this post

Hello, @oldskibunny , I noticed you mentioned both prednisone and meloxicam and stated, "The side effects of moodiness and relapse of depression symptoms are not-so-good." -- and I wonder if you attribute those side effects to the prednisone, meloxicam, or both?

I was diagnosed with Giant Cell Arteritis in 2020 with a biopsy near my temple. I was also told I had PMR.
I started with 40 mg of Prednisone and tapered off during 6 or 7 months and then started monthly infusions of Actemra for the GCA for one year. It's been a year and a half and the GCA has not returned. But the PMR just returned a month ago. Considering going on Prednisone again but a lower dosage. It didn't affect my blood pressure which I was taking medication for, nor did it affect my sleep but I gained weight. Now I've lost the weight and understand the need for watching my calorie intake with Prednisone.

I am suffering from EXTREME weakness from Prednisone. Don't know whether I should go back up to 20mg. I don't want to because I am practically a zombie now —numbness in face etc.. Does anyone else have this profound weakness? I am not sure my doctor believes me. My vital signs are good except slightly elevated diabetes markers. Guess I don't dare drive. Dr did have me start on 1,000 mg of metformin for diabetes and I stopped because I thought it made weakness worse. Having trouble finding rheumatologist.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.