Partial nephrectomy in October 2021

Posted by pamcaponio @pamcaponio, Feb 25, 2023

I was diagnosed with a mass in left kidney and it was removed in 12 days. My robotic urologist said you will be fine. Part of kidney remains. I have had 2 clear cat scans and have another appt in May. Was not told of any special diet. Not on any kidney meds. No chemo or radiation. I am hoping it doesn’t return. Good luck to all.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Kidney & Bladder Support Group.

Me too! But radical total nephrectomy 3 weeks recovering. Fabulous care and no chemo no radiation as surgery is my cure. I’m so happy my doctor said as far as he is concerned I am cancer free now! Scan of lungs and abdomen in 3 months.

My dad died of end stage renal failure about 35 yrs. ago. Because he was a veteran, a dialysis unit was delivered to his home and Mom was taught how to use it. He used to scream in pain during the treatments and he asked Mom to get his gun and shoot him. He was, obviously, out of his head with pain, because even Mother Teresa wasn't nicer or more gentle than my Mom. He ended up dying in a VA hospital. Now, 2 doctors are concerned about my kidneys. My husband and I are very old, crippled, weak, feeble and hurt badly for several reasons. Additionally, I have Dementia. I don't want to go through dialysis if I'm told that's what I need. I'm forgetting things, doing things that could have potentially been dangerous. Dialysis, just to get worse and be a bigger burden to my husband. Am I being stupid or can you see my point?

@kidney777

My dad died of end stage renal failure about 35 yrs. ago. Because he was a veteran, a dialysis unit was delivered to his home and Mom was taught how to use it. He used to scream in pain during the treatments and he asked Mom to get his gun and shoot him. He was, obviously, out of his head with pain, because even Mother Teresa wasn't nicer or more gentle than my Mom. He ended up dying in a VA hospital. Now, 2 doctors are concerned about my kidneys. My husband and I are very old, crippled, weak, feeble and hurt badly for several reasons. Additionally, I have Dementia. I don't want to go through dialysis if I'm told that's what I need. I'm forgetting things, doing things that could have potentially been dangerous. Dialysis, just to get worse and be a bigger burden to my husband. Am I being stupid or can you see my point?

Jump to this post

@kidney777 Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. Kidney disease and dialysis is often different for each person. We share many similarities, but there are variables. I'm truly sorry your Dad suffered so much.

What are the doctors saying about your kidneys that is concerning to you? And to answer your question, every patient has the right to decline treatment of any condition, whether it be for kidney disease or something else. We cannot be forced.
Ginger

@gingerw

@kidney777 Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. Kidney disease and dialysis is often different for each person. We share many similarities, but there are variables. I'm truly sorry your Dad suffered so much.

What are the doctors saying about your kidneys that is concerning to you? And to answer your question, every patient has the right to decline treatment of any condition, whether it be for kidney disease or something else. We cannot be forced.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Apparently, doctors think I'm bordering on kidney disease. Nothing has been said about treatment yet. They're doing labs on a regular basis to see if they're getting worse. As of today, they have not said anything about dialysis. But I've got a personality that makes me find out everything I can before I get slapped with a diagnosis. I'm praying my situation won't get worse. But I'm trying to prepare myself in case it does get worse. I've correctly diagnosed several medical problems I have where the doctors said "everything's fine." So I research all I can. You sound very nice and it was so very nice of you to write me.
Jo

@kidney777

Apparently, doctors think I'm bordering on kidney disease. Nothing has been said about treatment yet. They're doing labs on a regular basis to see if they're getting worse. As of today, they have not said anything about dialysis. But I've got a personality that makes me find out everything I can before I get slapped with a diagnosis. I'm praying my situation won't get worse. But I'm trying to prepare myself in case it does get worse. I've correctly diagnosed several medical problems I have where the doctors said "everything's fine." So I research all I can. You sound very nice and it was so very nice of you to write me.
Jo

Jump to this post

@kidney777 If you peruse through the kidney and bladder support group, you will see there are several discussions about chronic kidney disease. One of the important things to understand is the reason for kidney issues. The two main culprits are diabetes and uncontrolled high blood pressure. Other factors for an underlying cause can be genetic issues, long-term use of certain medications, and life-style choices. If you need some guidance on where to look, here are a couple threads:
Understanding eGFR and kidney disease: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/gfr/
Dialysis and questions: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/dialysis-stories-and-questions/

Of course, there are the websites for general information, including:
National Kidney Foundation: https://www.kidney.org/kidney-basics
and Mayo clinic itself: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-kidney-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20354521

Thank you. I am a volunteer mentor here on Mayo Clinic Connect. My health concerns include end stage kidney disease, and I am on daily dialysis. Please feel free to post a question in any support thread, and if you mention me @gingerw I'll be sure to see it!
Ginger

Thank you, Ginger,

I have a doctor's appt. later this month and have decided not to worry, not to research, just to let it be until I find out if it's even a problem! Jo

Please sign in or register to post a reply.