Pancreatic Cancer Group: Introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Pancreatic Cancer group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with pancreatic cancer or caring for someone with pancreatic cancer. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with cancer, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by fellow members and volunteer patient Mentors, when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Volunteer Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Pull up a chair. Let's start with introductions.

When were you diagnosed with pancreatic cancer? What treatments have you had? How are you doing?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Pancreatic Cancer Support Group.

@markymarkfl

@rbaum123 , I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. Delays are almost never good in cancer treatment. There may still be some treatment options, but it definitely depends on what your mom wants to do, just how weak/frail she actually is, and what medical centers she has access to. I fully understand and respect any well-informed decision not to treat as well. Wishing you both all the best.

Jump to this post

Thank you very much. Both surgeon and oncologist said that the spread was already there when she was first diagnosed it just didn’t show in scan until they opened her. We started at Columbia medical center in NYC first ahd than transferred to NYU. Each decision we made after getting at least three opinions from different oncologists from other hospitals

@marciak9

Hello
I just had My fourth round of Gemcitabine with Abraxane, After two rounds, all my hair fell out. Anybody know if and when it might grow back. I didn’t lose it during Folfirinox treatment last year.

Jump to this post

Sorry to hear it, but that's about right on schedule for Abraxane. I wouldn't expect the hair to begin returning until after you stop.

In my case, a few gray whiskers remain, but the healthier, faster-growing black hairs are all gone.

We reduced the Abraxane dose by 15% during two treatments in January, and then I missed a treatment in February due to Covid. During that period, some of the black hairs slowly started to reappear. The most aggressive hair for me came back in the nostrils, lol... my scalp got jealous. But within a month of resuming treatment at the full dose, everything is gone again.

You might try some steps to help preserve the hair on your scalp, or at least assist/maintain the vitality of follicles. On the scalp, you could try an ice cap during during chemo, and a red laser helmet afterward. After chemo, you could try "LDOM" (low-dose oral minoxidil), which has been getting a lot of attention recently in the general hair-restoration business. Be sure to investigate interaction with your chemo drugs first. You could also apply topical minoxidil (Rogaine) to the scalp and eyebrows, and you could also try Latisse to help the eyelashes and maybe the brows.

The drug in LDOM is a vasodilator -- opens up blood vessels. I have often wondered if vasodilators and blood thinners would help chemo penetrate deeper into pancreatic tumors and make chemo more effective. That would be a good research study some day. But a quick google search last year raised some concerns for me about mixing minoxidil with Gemcitabine, Abraxane, or Cisplatin. I don't remember which one or how serious the interactions were. Those would be important questions to ask an oncology pharmacist about if you want to go that route.

I'm not overly self-conscious about the Mr. Clean look, but it's not what I'm used to after growing my first mustache almost 50 years ago. I've shaved my head a few times since my hippy days, so that doesn't shock me either. It's the missing eyebrows that throw me off a bit when I look in a mirror... makes me want to wear a cap or eyeglasses to distract from that. I would recommend anyone who's about to start Abraxane take some pictures of where your natural eyebrows are, and if you're really concerned, consider an eyebrow microblading treatment or something like that before you start.

The overall chemo regimen also tends to make your skin hypersensitive to sunlight. Nobody wants melanoma or any skin cancer for that matter, but the risk might be elevated while on chemo. (ATM mutation also seems to increase risk of melanoma.)

I'm used to being tan, and staying out of the sun takes some effort. The ultra-white scalp sometimes makes me think I look like a neo-Nazi skinhead. Not often, but sometimes... Funny thing about wearing a beanie cap is that people think I'm hiding my bald head because of the cancer, which is usually not the case. The chemo drugs also tend to cause anemia and a tendency to feel cold, so I'm just wearing the beanie to stay warm most of the time.

@beckyshops

Hi,
I was diagnosed on March 21st after going to the ER with Jaundice. What a shock. I'm a lifelong "pretty healthy" person and never would have guessed this kind of diagnosis. So far, I've had good news in this journey and am hopeful for a Whipple surgery after 3 months of chemo, with the mass at the head of the pancreas and no lymph nodes or signs in other areas appearing affected.
I start chemo treatments tomorrow and am concerned about what I can do to avoid neuropathy. None of the "big cancer hospitals" are promoting cold therapy for mouth/hands/feet, but other GI cancer discussion groups and some small test groups have seen it successful. Anyone dealt with tring to do this?

Jump to this post

My suggestion is to have the Whipple Operation as soon as possible! You need all the strength you can get, I have had friends who have been driven down the chemo path to never regain enough strength for the Whipple surgery.
My Whipple was done back in 2013, neither my gastroenterologist or Whipple surgeon gave chemo a second thought & I’m glad they didn’t.
Been looking at stage 1 Pancreatic cancer in the rear view mirror ever since.
Gods Speed..

@marciak9

Hello
I just had My fourth round of Gemcitabine with Abraxane, After two rounds, all my hair fell out. Anybody know if and when it might grow back. I didn’t lose it during Folfirinox treatment last year.

Jump to this post

Marcia, I had 44 treatments with Gemcitabine & Abraxane. My hair fell out after the second round. I stopped chemo at the end of Dec. 2023 and have hair growing back now. It has been growing/coming in for about 2 months. I kind of look like Bernie Sanders/Christopher Lloyd (back to the future) but only with fuzz. It is very interesting to watch how it is coming back! I can say that there are a few places I did not need it to come back like legs, underarms! I did get my eyebrows & eyelashes coming back too! Yeah!
I am a 74-year-old female who had baby fine & thin hair before it went away 🙂

Thanks for sharing! Did you wear a wig or scarf?

@markymarkfl

Sorry to hear it, but that's about right on schedule for Abraxane. I wouldn't expect the hair to begin returning until after you stop.

In my case, a few gray whiskers remain, but the healthier, faster-growing black hairs are all gone.

We reduced the Abraxane dose by 15% during two treatments in January, and then I missed a treatment in February due to Covid. During that period, some of the black hairs slowly started to reappear. The most aggressive hair for me came back in the nostrils, lol... my scalp got jealous. But within a month of resuming treatment at the full dose, everything is gone again.

You might try some steps to help preserve the hair on your scalp, or at least assist/maintain the vitality of follicles. On the scalp, you could try an ice cap during during chemo, and a red laser helmet afterward. After chemo, you could try "LDOM" (low-dose oral minoxidil), which has been getting a lot of attention recently in the general hair-restoration business. Be sure to investigate interaction with your chemo drugs first. You could also apply topical minoxidil (Rogaine) to the scalp and eyebrows, and you could also try Latisse to help the eyelashes and maybe the brows.

The drug in LDOM is a vasodilator -- opens up blood vessels. I have often wondered if vasodilators and blood thinners would help chemo penetrate deeper into pancreatic tumors and make chemo more effective. That would be a good research study some day. But a quick google search last year raised some concerns for me about mixing minoxidil with Gemcitabine, Abraxane, or Cisplatin. I don't remember which one or how serious the interactions were. Those would be important questions to ask an oncology pharmacist about if you want to go that route.

I'm not overly self-conscious about the Mr. Clean look, but it's not what I'm used to after growing my first mustache almost 50 years ago. I've shaved my head a few times since my hippy days, so that doesn't shock me either. It's the missing eyebrows that throw me off a bit when I look in a mirror... makes me want to wear a cap or eyeglasses to distract from that. I would recommend anyone who's about to start Abraxane take some pictures of where your natural eyebrows are, and if you're really concerned, consider an eyebrow microblading treatment or something like that before you start.

The overall chemo regimen also tends to make your skin hypersensitive to sunlight. Nobody wants melanoma or any skin cancer for that matter, but the risk might be elevated while on chemo. (ATM mutation also seems to increase risk of melanoma.)

I'm used to being tan, and staying out of the sun takes some effort. The ultra-white scalp sometimes makes me think I look like a neo-Nazi skinhead. Not often, but sometimes... Funny thing about wearing a beanie cap is that people think I'm hiding my bald head because of the cancer, which is usually not the case. The chemo drugs also tend to cause anemia and a tendency to feel cold, so I'm just wearing the beanie to stay warm most of the time.

Jump to this post

Thank you for your response. Are you able to wear sun screen on your head and let it tan a little?

@rbaum123

Hi. I joined for my mother who is 84 and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in June of last year. In the beginning we were very hopeful and optimistic because we were told that the cancer is in the tail and the tumor is very small. We were planning a surgery but somehow it took three months before the surgery was scheduled and when the surgeon opened her up he discovered a spread to liver and basically just closed her up. The oncologist did not want to do chemo because my mom is not strong enough to go throw it. So basically there are no treatment options for my mom. Her symptoms so far are abdominal and back pain and weight loss. I do the best I can by reading about her diagnoses and participating in groups with this disease where everyone shares helpful information. This is how I learned about soursop, celery juice and hot lemon water as detox. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you

Jump to this post

Did they discuss Gemzar for your mom? Folfurinox can be very tough but most find Gemzar to be easier to tolerate.
You might have a discussion about this drug for her.

@marciak9

Thank you for your response. Are you able to wear sun screen on your head and let it tan a little?

Jump to this post

If I'm really careful. I tend to get in a zone and don't do things in moderation... But the tan is starting come in a little now that the days are longer. I got the worst sunburn of my life the first time I shaved my head before a surf trip to Australia. That hole in the ozone down there is no joke!!!

@gamaryanne

Did they discuss Gemzar for your mom? Folfurinox can be very tough but most find Gemzar to be easier to tolerate.
You might have a discussion about this drug for her.

Jump to this post

The family and the oncologist all agreed that chemo is not an option. The doctor said it would make her very sick.

@marciak9

Hello

Jump to this post

Mine began to return after a few months and today is fully returned

Please sign in or register to post a reply.