Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@rachelrayburn10

i’ve dealt with this now for two years off and on, anyone with ideas?

Jump to this post

Hi @rachelrayburn10, I'm sorry that you're going through this, but I hope you know you're not alone! A good starting point would be to skim through as many comments as you can in this thread (there are a lot, I know). You'll likely find a few people with similar symptoms as you, especially if you're dealing with additional symptoms.

Have you identified any triggers of your symptoms?

Hi guys, some advice from me (been around the block when it comes to autonomic issues)

OK so I have recently had similar symptoms as those described above. Basically had been in psyche med withdrawal for last two years, was doing better so I was starting to enjoy normal life again, and after a night a out in early Jan, suddenly experienced massive shortness of breath issues. Almost had to call paramedics. things haven't been anywhere as bad since that night, but I have consistently been feeling air hunger, like I cannot get enough air.

Explored all medical possibilities apart from asthma which I haven't tried yet: all tests are normal (chest scan, blood tests, blood O2 levels, ECG).

Essentially, it's almost definitely an issue with my autonomic issue, possibly made worse by my recent anxiety around it.

It's not my first 'rodeo' with autonomic issues: I've had chronic gastritis in the past, and a huge bout of chronic insomnia which is what I was put on antidepressant for in 2019.

The idea is always the same: lifestyle (work stress+ unhealthy habits) take their toll and cause autonomic system to break down, then I get anxious about it and can't stop thinking about it and develop an anxiety related to it.

I think many here will have similar issues: autonomic issue for whatever reason (could be you got sick, or a vaccine, or stress or whatever - it happens), and then for some reason the autonomic system gets stuck in a pattern, and you need to get it unstuck.

The key to let the body heal is not think about it, but that's really hard because the more you tell yourself don't think about it, the more you think about it, and the more you try and shut down the thoughts, the more you push your CNS in fight or flight mode.

What really helped me with insomnia was acceptance and commitment therapy. essentially, slowly work towards accepting the discomfort, as well as the negative thoughts and anxiety around it, and progressively replace them / challenge them with positive thoughts.

Here's a bunch of assertions I write down every day (many of these are from my insomnia days - that was pure hell).

-Air hunger is nothing to worry about: it's just a sign that my autonomic system (AS) is overly sensitive.
-My mind and body will work together to reach a perfect equilibrium eventually, and I will feel normal again one day.
-This is a marathon, not a sprint: healing takes time, and the best way to help the process is to accept the discomfort as a part of life while I do my best to live life to the fullest.
-I need to welcome and accept anxious thoughts. Don't shut them down: it's important to be able to sit with them comfortably in order to be able to alleviate the issue posed by intrusive thoughts.

The underlying principle is this: we can't stop intrusive thoughts from occurring because we have no control over the thoughts that cross your mind. what we can do however is control how we react to those thoughts. if a thought stops bothering us, we do not activate the fight or flight response, and we let the body heal.

If the we continue to try and stop the thoughts, or let ourselves get run over by them and indulge in spending hours a day thinking about SOB, we remain stuck in fight or flight mode, and the body cannot heal itself. makes sense when you think about it: you already have air hunger, and top of that your mind is racing, you've got thousands of intrusive thoughts all day, and when it gets bad your heart rate goes up, you're sweating: your mind is in panic... how could air hunger heal if this ha[[ens multiple times a week (or even, per month: it takes a Long time to heal a destabilised autonomic / nervous system).

Note that I have also started doing the buteyko method this week to help the healing. I think it's likely it will last for months (most of my bouts last minimum 3 months, often 6-12 months to get better, but let's see how it goes.

Would encourage people interested in googling acceptance and commitment therapy

@husy

Hi guys, some advice from me (been around the block when it comes to autonomic issues)

OK so I have recently had similar symptoms as those described above. Basically had been in psyche med withdrawal for last two years, was doing better so I was starting to enjoy normal life again, and after a night a out in early Jan, suddenly experienced massive shortness of breath issues. Almost had to call paramedics. things haven't been anywhere as bad since that night, but I have consistently been feeling air hunger, like I cannot get enough air.

Explored all medical possibilities apart from asthma which I haven't tried yet: all tests are normal (chest scan, blood tests, blood O2 levels, ECG).

Essentially, it's almost definitely an issue with my autonomic issue, possibly made worse by my recent anxiety around it.

It's not my first 'rodeo' with autonomic issues: I've had chronic gastritis in the past, and a huge bout of chronic insomnia which is what I was put on antidepressant for in 2019.

The idea is always the same: lifestyle (work stress+ unhealthy habits) take their toll and cause autonomic system to break down, then I get anxious about it and can't stop thinking about it and develop an anxiety related to it.

I think many here will have similar issues: autonomic issue for whatever reason (could be you got sick, or a vaccine, or stress or whatever - it happens), and then for some reason the autonomic system gets stuck in a pattern, and you need to get it unstuck.

The key to let the body heal is not think about it, but that's really hard because the more you tell yourself don't think about it, the more you think about it, and the more you try and shut down the thoughts, the more you push your CNS in fight or flight mode.

What really helped me with insomnia was acceptance and commitment therapy. essentially, slowly work towards accepting the discomfort, as well as the negative thoughts and anxiety around it, and progressively replace them / challenge them with positive thoughts.

Here's a bunch of assertions I write down every day (many of these are from my insomnia days - that was pure hell).

-Air hunger is nothing to worry about: it's just a sign that my autonomic system (AS) is overly sensitive.
-My mind and body will work together to reach a perfect equilibrium eventually, and I will feel normal again one day.
-This is a marathon, not a sprint: healing takes time, and the best way to help the process is to accept the discomfort as a part of life while I do my best to live life to the fullest.
-I need to welcome and accept anxious thoughts. Don't shut them down: it's important to be able to sit with them comfortably in order to be able to alleviate the issue posed by intrusive thoughts.

The underlying principle is this: we can't stop intrusive thoughts from occurring because we have no control over the thoughts that cross your mind. what we can do however is control how we react to those thoughts. if a thought stops bothering us, we do not activate the fight or flight response, and we let the body heal.

If the we continue to try and stop the thoughts, or let ourselves get run over by them and indulge in spending hours a day thinking about SOB, we remain stuck in fight or flight mode, and the body cannot heal itself. makes sense when you think about it: you already have air hunger, and top of that your mind is racing, you've got thousands of intrusive thoughts all day, and when it gets bad your heart rate goes up, you're sweating: your mind is in panic... how could air hunger heal if this ha[[ens multiple times a week (or even, per month: it takes a Long time to heal a destabilised autonomic / nervous system).

Note that I have also started doing the buteyko method this week to help the healing. I think it's likely it will last for months (most of my bouts last minimum 3 months, often 6-12 months to get better, but let's see how it goes.

Would encourage people interested in googling acceptance and commitment therapy

Jump to this post

Plus one more thing: In order to be less anxious about it, I like to dedicate half an hour / an hour a day (less when it gets better) where I make myself sit with my uncomfortable thoughts, take time to notice them (and my breathing), and work on not being anxious about them.

@cjam

Hi Gabrielm. I was so happy I stumbled upon your post , because I have the exact same symptoms and have for years. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind! Anyone who has not experienced air hunger like this can't truly imagine how awful it is. I will say that I do have GERD, however the last doctor I saw related it somehow to taking adderall and not getting enough sleep while taking it. I am not sure how he came up with that, but said the alveoli were collapsing before refilling , or something like that . I will continue to follow the posts to see if anyone else has any similar experiences.

Jump to this post

@cjam, glad you found this thread. It's quite extensive as you can see by the number of pages of comments. There should be an emerging field in the medical world studying and treating this kind of thing! Yes, it can be pretty awful especially when it starts up and not knowing what's going on.

In my research, I've found that it's possible GERD and GI issues in general can affect breathing in different ways, including acid splashing into the lungs and irritating the tissue. What your doctor mentioned might be due to a collapsed or collapsing lung, but can be related to a number of things.

Are you being treated for the GERD?

I also experiencing very similar symptoms. Tighness upper chest, restrictive feeling in breathing or at times, either with those symptoms or just on its own when it takes more effort in taking in deeper breaths with this constant feeling in needing to clear my lungs. It does produce clear phlegm as well, when active or exercising on my treadmill.
I may be good for a couple of months or so and then I get these bouts of symptoms appear, lasting days or weeks.
What did I do about it?
Had lung function test done. Showed normal and above 80%. Yes, i have heart disease but that is under good control and is counted out as I can exercise, hike and push myself without any Angina or heart related symptoms. BP is fine and my fitness level for a 68 year old is that if the top 20%. Tried the use of a ventolin but seems to have no impact, same as others have stated.
I am leaning more toward either an allergy or bronchial restriction caused by something other than an allergy. Exercise induced? Not convinced. So? In the mean time I am baffled by it as many are with similar experience with these symptoms. Especially when numerous including myself stated that tests done are negative. I am on a whole plant base diet, so doubt it could be from my diet. Never the less, there is still a chance that perhaps chemicals used on plants may set it off. People seem to get more issues these days than they did before. Environment, what we consume? It is hard pinning it down. Allergists are not cheap and not everyone can afford that. So? In the mean time I am assuming it's nothing serious as it has been going on for years, coming and going. Doctors are often not much help and just shrug their shoulders.

OMG, I feel like I have found a sense of community where I am understood! @gabrielm, thank you for starting this post.

For the past 1-2yrs. I feel like I have been going through the same thing, and it keeps getting more annoying every day, in large because It seems to have no explanation. Long story short: A few years ago, while exercising I would feel SOB and had to get deep breaths. Then, it only happened while working out. Fast forward to now, it’s an everyday thing with some days worse than others. Maybe, getting covid made it worse?… I am in the process of getting all the tests done, as most people on here have done. I feel like they will end up telling me it’s anxiety. Anyway, I believe, for me in my case, and perhaps could help some of you, it could be due to a combination of things. First, I do think it is something to do with GERD, my sister in law, a Nurse practitioner, told me, if left untreated the esophagus could become damage, which could be my case. There is such a thing as silent acid reflux too.

Next, I have always had a problem with my teeth alignment… I feel this is my main issue. As an adult, a few years ago, I got braces, but obviously that didn’t fix the misaligned jaw or the weird feeling I have that my jaw is misaligned because braces only fix teeth, not jaws. Every, dentist I have seen they all say “no my jaw is not awfully misaligned for me to need jaw surgery”, since in the US, it’s a very invasive procedure! However, after doing intense research, I have learned that having a misaligned jaw, even if it’s slightly, misaligned, meaning, it’s not so obvious, could lead to breathing, speaking, chewing, and even swallowing issues! This is huge! because up until now, this is a topic that there is not much research on or not even is it a topic that is spoken of much. Therefore, I am convinced that if I have a jaw surgery it could help my problem. My jaw deviation is slight, but even then I feel like it affects a lot of things for me and it has for a long while now, and it could perhaps help my breathing issue A lot! Through my research of “why’s” I discovered that there is a doctor, in Venezuela who is specializing in minimally invasive jaw surgery, to treat all sorts of jaw issues including misaligned jaws even if it’s not that visible. He does speak about misaligned jaws, and how that could affect A lot of issues, as I mentioned above, including breathing. For anyone who might be interested his name is Dr. Nelson. He is even, doing international teachings on the “minimally invasive procedure” and was just recently in New York at NYU, giving a conference. He is the Real Deal! Anyway, this is not to say this is for everyone or that it will fix my problem, 🤞🏻or your problem, but perhaps it’s an option to look into. Also, I am changing my diet, which is what I am in on now and looking at taking probiotics and vitamins is my next step. Although my main ultimate goal is to travel to Venezuela 🇻🇪 to see this doctor. You can find him on IG, if interested.

Last Option, I also knew of someone who was having sort of the same issue. She said that eventually she went to an ENT, who diagnosed her with something in her sinuses. Not exactly sure, but she ended up having Balloon Sinuplasty. Apparently her sinuses would get inflamed causing obstruction in her airway and her shortness of breath! Now, I am not saying any of this is something for you to do. I am only throwing my ideas out there because I am on the same boat as everyone on here and have done extensive research, that lead me here, and perhaps it could be something worthwhile for everyone to explore.

Also, @hoda2022, mentioned Vitamin B2, helped her. I am definitely trying that next! Also, @felicityr, a Doctor 🥼🙏, joined the convo and gave great insight. Thank You to everyone for your stories.

As for me, what has worked, is trying not to panic when I am trying to gasp for deep breaths. I try to research but not psyche myself out. I have gone to urgent care 2x now, and EKG and oxygen levels are fine, but I know my body is trying to tell me something… perhaps, I need vitamins, exercise, or a jaw surgery. But whatever the case, I am on the pursuit of understanding my body and listening to it to see what it wants and needs. Also, I have quit, drinking and I was a former smoker but nothing to crazy for me to think that is the cause of this. I will find out tho, when I get my pulmonary lung function test. For reference I am 34yrs old 158lbs in decent shape and lab works seems fine. Either way, I am changing my diet and lifestyle to get to a healthier place overall. I also tell myself that I am “Healing” even when I have bad thoughts, I know I am healing. ❤️‍🩹

Lastly, I hope this helps someone or at least gives you comfort, as reading a lot ya’lls replies made me know I am not alone.

I send everyone, light, positivity and, most importantly Healing Vibes! May we all feel better soon!

P.s. posted pictures incase you are interested.

@rainerl

I also experiencing very similar symptoms. Tighness upper chest, restrictive feeling in breathing or at times, either with those symptoms or just on its own when it takes more effort in taking in deeper breaths with this constant feeling in needing to clear my lungs. It does produce clear phlegm as well, when active or exercising on my treadmill.
I may be good for a couple of months or so and then I get these bouts of symptoms appear, lasting days or weeks.
What did I do about it?
Had lung function test done. Showed normal and above 80%. Yes, i have heart disease but that is under good control and is counted out as I can exercise, hike and push myself without any Angina or heart related symptoms. BP is fine and my fitness level for a 68 year old is that if the top 20%. Tried the use of a ventolin but seems to have no impact, same as others have stated.
I am leaning more toward either an allergy or bronchial restriction caused by something other than an allergy. Exercise induced? Not convinced. So? In the mean time I am baffled by it as many are with similar experience with these symptoms. Especially when numerous including myself stated that tests done are negative. I am on a whole plant base diet, so doubt it could be from my diet. Never the less, there is still a chance that perhaps chemicals used on plants may set it off. People seem to get more issues these days than they did before. Environment, what we consume? It is hard pinning it down. Allergists are not cheap and not everyone can afford that. So? In the mean time I am assuming it's nothing serious as it has been going on for years, coming and going. Doctors are often not much help and just shrug their shoulders.

Jump to this post

You're right @rainerl, it's hard to pin down what in the environment could cause certain things. It seems you at least know how to deal with the symptoms mentally when they come up and know that it's nothing serious. That's a good way to think because knowing you'll be ok helps reduce anxiety when you're going through symptoms.

You mentioned chest tightness and restrictive breathing at times. Have you gotten your heart examined? Are you aware of anything inflammatory or GI related?

@mmbelle14

OMG, I feel like I have found a sense of community where I am understood! @gabrielm, thank you for starting this post.

For the past 1-2yrs. I feel like I have been going through the same thing, and it keeps getting more annoying every day, in large because It seems to have no explanation. Long story short: A few years ago, while exercising I would feel SOB and had to get deep breaths. Then, it only happened while working out. Fast forward to now, it’s an everyday thing with some days worse than others. Maybe, getting covid made it worse?… I am in the process of getting all the tests done, as most people on here have done. I feel like they will end up telling me it’s anxiety. Anyway, I believe, for me in my case, and perhaps could help some of you, it could be due to a combination of things. First, I do think it is something to do with GERD, my sister in law, a Nurse practitioner, told me, if left untreated the esophagus could become damage, which could be my case. There is such a thing as silent acid reflux too.

Next, I have always had a problem with my teeth alignment… I feel this is my main issue. As an adult, a few years ago, I got braces, but obviously that didn’t fix the misaligned jaw or the weird feeling I have that my jaw is misaligned because braces only fix teeth, not jaws. Every, dentist I have seen they all say “no my jaw is not awfully misaligned for me to need jaw surgery”, since in the US, it’s a very invasive procedure! However, after doing intense research, I have learned that having a misaligned jaw, even if it’s slightly, misaligned, meaning, it’s not so obvious, could lead to breathing, speaking, chewing, and even swallowing issues! This is huge! because up until now, this is a topic that there is not much research on or not even is it a topic that is spoken of much. Therefore, I am convinced that if I have a jaw surgery it could help my problem. My jaw deviation is slight, but even then I feel like it affects a lot of things for me and it has for a long while now, and it could perhaps help my breathing issue A lot! Through my research of “why’s” I discovered that there is a doctor, in Venezuela who is specializing in minimally invasive jaw surgery, to treat all sorts of jaw issues including misaligned jaws even if it’s not that visible. He does speak about misaligned jaws, and how that could affect A lot of issues, as I mentioned above, including breathing. For anyone who might be interested his name is Dr. Nelson. He is even, doing international teachings on the “minimally invasive procedure” and was just recently in New York at NYU, giving a conference. He is the Real Deal! Anyway, this is not to say this is for everyone or that it will fix my problem, 🤞🏻or your problem, but perhaps it’s an option to look into. Also, I am changing my diet, which is what I am in on now and looking at taking probiotics and vitamins is my next step. Although my main ultimate goal is to travel to Venezuela 🇻🇪 to see this doctor. You can find him on IG, if interested.

Last Option, I also knew of someone who was having sort of the same issue. She said that eventually she went to an ENT, who diagnosed her with something in her sinuses. Not exactly sure, but she ended up having Balloon Sinuplasty. Apparently her sinuses would get inflamed causing obstruction in her airway and her shortness of breath! Now, I am not saying any of this is something for you to do. I am only throwing my ideas out there because I am on the same boat as everyone on here and have done extensive research, that lead me here, and perhaps it could be something worthwhile for everyone to explore.

Also, @hoda2022, mentioned Vitamin B2, helped her. I am definitely trying that next! Also, @felicityr, a Doctor 🥼🙏, joined the convo and gave great insight. Thank You to everyone for your stories.

As for me, what has worked, is trying not to panic when I am trying to gasp for deep breaths. I try to research but not psyche myself out. I have gone to urgent care 2x now, and EKG and oxygen levels are fine, but I know my body is trying to tell me something… perhaps, I need vitamins, exercise, or a jaw surgery. But whatever the case, I am on the pursuit of understanding my body and listening to it to see what it wants and needs. Also, I have quit, drinking and I was a former smoker but nothing to crazy for me to think that is the cause of this. I will find out tho, when I get my pulmonary lung function test. For reference I am 34yrs old 158lbs in decent shape and lab works seems fine. Either way, I am changing my diet and lifestyle to get to a healthier place overall. I also tell myself that I am “Healing” even when I have bad thoughts, I know I am healing. ❤️‍🩹

Lastly, I hope this helps someone or at least gives you comfort, as reading a lot ya’lls replies made me know I am not alone.

I send everyone, light, positivity and, most importantly Healing Vibes! May we all feel better soon!

P.s. posted pictures incase you are interested.

Jump to this post

@mmbelle14, thanks for sharing your story and information. I'm glad you're doing what you can to get things checked out. It definitely helps, especially in the beginning, to do some research and listen to what your body is trying to tell you. I think it gives a great sense of hope and optimism, which sounds like what is happening with you. Keep up the positive mindset- I think this is fundamental when going through certain health issues. Let me know how everything goes with the testing. I know it's encouraging to many others to see your positive outlook, so thanks for sharing what you're doing to journey through this!

OK started doing the buteyko method but wanted to share this video I found on YouTube

In short:

-Although we feel like we are suffocating /can't breath / are lacking air, the oxygen levels in our bodies are fine. In reality we have the opposite problem: we are exhaling too much carbon dioxide and this means we lower our body's CO2 tolerance

-When our body's C02 tolerance is low, there is negative feedback loop: the lower it goes, the sooner our body feels saturated with CO2, the more we try and breathe more and the worse it becomes. Essentially, anxiety has broken our breathing pattern (part of ou autonomic system).

-Bad advice: a lot of people advise to 'take deep breaths'. This is OK for panic attacks because it slows the hyperventilation. but for people with general shortness of breath, breathing more is not the solution: you actually need to breathe less.

-What to do about it: The buteyko breathing method: increase your body's tolerance to C02 gradually by exposing your body to exercises where you hold your breath slightly repeatedly over 20 mins, 3 times a day. take a normal breath in, exhale, and only inhale when you start feeling short of air. in the West, most people have to inhale within 15secs of exhaling. Healthy levels are actually more like 30-40secs.

Over a period of several weeks you should start seeing progress and after a few to several months, thing should be in the process of normalising.

@husy

OK started doing the buteyko method but wanted to share this video I found on YouTube

In short:

-Although we feel like we are suffocating /can't breath / are lacking air, the oxygen levels in our bodies are fine. In reality we have the opposite problem: we are exhaling too much carbon dioxide and this means we lower our body's CO2 tolerance

-When our body's C02 tolerance is low, there is negative feedback loop: the lower it goes, the sooner our body feels saturated with CO2, the more we try and breathe more and the worse it becomes. Essentially, anxiety has broken our breathing pattern (part of ou autonomic system).

-Bad advice: a lot of people advise to 'take deep breaths'. This is OK for panic attacks because it slows the hyperventilation. but for people with general shortness of breath, breathing more is not the solution: you actually need to breathe less.

-What to do about it: The buteyko breathing method: increase your body's tolerance to C02 gradually by exposing your body to exercises where you hold your breath slightly repeatedly over 20 mins, 3 times a day. take a normal breath in, exhale, and only inhale when you start feeling short of air. in the West, most people have to inhale within 15secs of exhaling. Healthy levels are actually more like 30-40secs.

Over a period of several weeks you should start seeing progress and after a few to several months, thing should be in the process of normalising.

Jump to this post

Thanks for sharing @husy! Butyeko has helped me tremendously. When it first started for me, I was breathing through my mouth all day and slowly learned to nasal breathe and to breathe properly during exercise and has helped to regulate my breathing a lot better. The rescue exercises helped me when I was having bad symptoms early on. I'm glad it's helping you as well.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.