Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

Hi Gabe and folks,
I’m a 21 yr old male, I’m vegan and usually healthy. I’ve experienced these same issues for almost a year now.
Here’s what I’ve came across.
-No certain food allergy cause
-Chest X-ray was clear
-I’ve had history of GERD more specifically bile gastritis
-acid pills haven’t helped to this point
-inhaler hasn’t helped
-Benadryl hasn’t helped
-Recent CT scan on the neck came back that I had lingual tonsillar hypotrophy
^ This is interesting to read about and will be something I will be talking to a Dr about soon. I wanted to know if anyone else has done a CT scan on the neck.

@gabrielm

Thanks for the update @camomma. It's always good to hear how people who are doing especially who have previously commented. I certainly didn't expect this post to blow up like it has over the few couple of years! I never realized how much of a widespread issue this is, but glad that we're all here trying to help each other out.

I also had a lung function test some time back, and usually it'll check lung capacity and your ability to exhale forcefully and volume of air you inhale. It's a common way to check for asthma, but can also check for other things like COPD. I had normal numbers though they were on the lower end of that. I can't remember what that number was, but it had to do with tidal volume and capacity of the lungs holding air, and also velocity of air when exhaling. It will be interesting when you get those results back.

I may have asked this before, but have you looked into breathing exercises like the Buteyko method or other methods? It helps me to stabilize the air hunger feeling so that I don't feel the "empty lung" feeling like I used to.

Wearing a mask may have an effect on your breathing, but hard to tell. I don't know a whole lot of what effect masks have on breathing over the long term, but if you can breathe through your nose as much as possible even with a mask on, that could help.

Jump to this post

I am going to look further into all of this. Are any of you that have posted "open mouth" breathers/sleepers, snorers, etc. I came across an article that spoke a bit about irregular breathing that can be brought about by "mouth breathin" as well as some dental consequences. I just find it odd that all of this started up suddenly. I've mentioned before that I noticed my SOB shortly after having mild Covid in January, but also some other stressful personal events. I am starting to get a bit frustrated with all the tests of medications. I am going to have to ask my doctor for more specific help. I want answers as we all do. I think I will proceed with a sleep study.

@kc05

Hi Gabe and folks,
I’m a 21 yr old male, I’m vegan and usually healthy. I’ve experienced these same issues for almost a year now.
Here’s what I’ve came across.
-No certain food allergy cause
-Chest X-ray was clear
-I’ve had history of GERD more specifically bile gastritis
-acid pills haven’t helped to this point
-inhaler hasn’t helped
-Benadryl hasn’t helped
-Recent CT scan on the neck came back that I had lingual tonsillar hypotrophy
^ This is interesting to read about and will be something I will be talking to a Dr about soon. I wanted to know if anyone else has done a CT scan on the neck.

Jump to this post

Hi @kc05, I haven't had a CT scan on the neck. I haven't heard of that condition, so I will have to look that up! Have you had your breathing symptoms daily, or does it come and go? Do you plan on getting any other tests done?

@camomma

I am going to look further into all of this. Are any of you that have posted "open mouth" breathers/sleepers, snorers, etc. I came across an article that spoke a bit about irregular breathing that can be brought about by "mouth breathin" as well as some dental consequences. I just find it odd that all of this started up suddenly. I've mentioned before that I noticed my SOB shortly after having mild Covid in January, but also some other stressful personal events. I am starting to get a bit frustrated with all the tests of medications. I am going to have to ask my doctor for more specific help. I want answers as we all do. I think I will proceed with a sleep study.

Jump to this post

Early on when this started for me, I was more of open mouth breather and I think I did snore a lot. The first time I started the breathing exercise regimen, part of what I learned was to change the open mouth breathing to just breathing through the nose, even during exercise. So for the first three days, I only did nasal breathing unless I absolutely had to breathe through my mouth such as when talking. But even then, each inhale during talking is through the nose. I even taped my mouth shut at night, every night for a good few weeks. But the first three days or so in doing this, that's when my symptoms greatly diminished. So to this day, I nasal breathe and I think this helps to keep the symptoms at bay.

I think that's a good idea to ask for more specific help from your doctors. Physicians are mostly general physicians who have knowledge in various areas, so it's kind of a "helping them to help me" type situation.

I hear you about getting frustrated with all the tests and medications. I felt the same, though over time when I accepted that I would be dealing with this for a long time, that it made me feel better and turned the search for answers into more of a journey than trying to rush to find an answer.

I think a sleep study will be worth it. It may discover something, who knows. But I wonder if your Covid symptoms sort of transitioned to a "long covid" that I've heard about and briefly read upon. So I think there is some hope of the possibility of the symptoms diminishing over time, but just more slowly than others.

Update : today my sob after 2 weeks is come back
Now 100 % im beleive anxiety cause my air hunger ,
In 2 last week im understand when im talking with people my symptoms are more active
I hoped i can cured it completely
And Suddenly today its come back same of first day
For now im in buteyko training and maybe xanax again

@gabrielm

Hi @kc05, I haven't had a CT scan on the neck. I haven't heard of that condition, so I will have to look that up! Have you had your breathing symptoms daily, or does it come and go? Do you plan on getting any other tests done?

Jump to this post

Hey Gabe, thanks for the response.

First I want to make clear I’m not a doctor. I do plan to test some more, not sure what route yet. To answer your questions I’ve had these same symptoms described for about 8 months, everyday, some are worse than others.

If you don’t mind me asking a couple questions that other people could join in on as well. We have to find things or more symptoms we all have in common.
-Are your neck tendons/muscles super tight?
-Does it bother you to touch any part around your throat?
-Do your symptoms get worse with anxiety?
-Do you notice your symptoms subside when your mind is elsewhere?

@dovey

5/5

I’ll end this by explaining why I’ve devoted so much time and energy to describing, researching, and trying to understand this issue. It’s not because I’m crazy or a weirdo who loves to waste days of their life reading through medical studies online. I’m doing this because this condition is HELL and it’s absolutely imperative that I figure out what on earth is happening to me so I can stop it.

I’m so overwhelmed by this condition. It is utterly brutal. Physically. Emotionally. I have TMJ and was born with an abnormal jaw joint. Every yawn is agony and puts stress on my jaw joint. I’m worried that it will destroy my jaw completely over time and I will no longer be able to talk or chew food. It has also taken a serious toll on my mental health. I’ve begun seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist because this issue is so disruptive and debilitating that suicide has become a viable option for the first time in my life. I already deal with so many awful chronic health and pain issues on a daily basis. Like interstitial cystitis, for example, which is chronic, incurable, treatment-resistant irritation of the bladder that feels like a raging bladder infection that flares for months at a time. It is so painful that IC patients consistently rate a worse quality of life than people on dialysis. And yet, it doesn’t compare to this breathing issue. Nothing has been more detrimental to my quality of life than this chronic breathing problem. Nothing has left me with suicidal ideations for months at a time, before. And doctors just brush it off like it’s NOTHING. Like I’m just being paranoid and noticing my breath more, or something.

For me, this has become a life or death situation. I must find a cure or effective treatment, because I cannot live the next 40 years of my life this way. It is unbearable.

Jump to this post

Hi Dovey,

I read all your posts. Thanks for sharing! . We have a similar but also different issue going on here. I have done a ton of research as well and I have pages full of Google Docs. I have seen doctors both at the University of Utah where I live and more recently, the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. I am going to the National Jewish in Colorado and continuing to do whatever I can until this mystery is solved.

Would you be open to speaking one on one? I am looking to talk to people one on one and brainstorm things. I feel like this is more effective than writing on this thread (even though this thread is very helpful).

I will DM you and we can go from there. But Basically I have the same thing.. Mine goes as follows: (I am copy/pasting this from my google doc)

What does it feel like?

Every few minutes, or every few seconds (especially during an “episode”), I start getting this sensation that I am not getting enough air in. I don’t know how to describe it, except that it is a sensation that tells me I need to yawn, or take a deep breath. Then, I try to take a deep breath, a really deep breath where I can feel my stomach and to a smaller extent, my chest rise and then fall. (I am a diaphragmatic breather). Then there is a millisecond between the inhale and exhale where I can feel as if the air went all the way down into my belly. And then I let out a strong exhale, which can sound like a sigh. This satisfies my breath for the time being and then the cycle repeats, minutes later, sometimes seconds later. Sometimes not until hours later. This can be accompanied by tightness in the throat, which massaging it can help a little.

However, The scariest thing is when I am having an “episode”, and I try to take a deep breath, it doesn’t always satisfy the feeling or help relieve the tension. Then I will try again and it still won’t satisfy. This is where I need to keep calm and breathe in my nose and out my throat. Eventually I will get a breath in and I will shudder or feel a huge relief but also it scares me. In this case, I usually try to lay down with two pillows and try to distract myself with something else or meditate and calm down. I can’t always calm down (so I wonder if it is anxiety related).

And in rare instances, the sensation goes away but then I start feeling like I am no longer breathing. And I know this because I am still not satisfying a deep breath, but the urge to take a deep breath or yawn goes away. This is also where I have felt like passing out in the past, but this is very rare. I try to then force a yawn or deep breath but it doesn’t help. I try to lay down and breathe calmly and this kind of helps. Eventually it just resolves.

This sensation can also happen as I am falling asleep and I will get scared, but I have monitored my O2 through the night before, and it stays above 90 almost the whole time. So I need to remind myself it won’t kill me.

During the poor air quality winter days of 2022, I had this above sensation a lot and I couldn’t satisfy. I would keep trying and I can feel how the abnormal breathing took a toll on my muscles, even in my back, the muscles would ache because I was doing this constantly. I couldn’t make it stop

Basically it all started in 2013, got better from 2014-2021 and came back with a vengeance in Nov 2021. in 2013, it started after I cut pressure-treated lumber (I was warned never to because it has chemicals in it that can ruin your lungs).

I want to add that I recently have been diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome (on 2/14/22). Also, recently I have been having this painful abdominal spasms, usually after I get a deep breath in and then exhale.

@kc05

Hey Gabe, thanks for the response.

First I want to make clear I’m not a doctor. I do plan to test some more, not sure what route yet. To answer your questions I’ve had these same symptoms described for about 8 months, everyday, some are worse than others.

If you don’t mind me asking a couple questions that other people could join in on as well. We have to find things or more symptoms we all have in common.
-Are your neck tendons/muscles super tight?
-Does it bother you to touch any part around your throat?
-Do your symptoms get worse with anxiety?
-Do you notice your symptoms subside when your mind is elsewhere?

Jump to this post

@kc05, in general I've had tight neck muscles. Probably just due to years of straining in front of a computer all day for work and just the stresses of life, but it doesn't really restrict any movement. The symptoms are the same whether or not I have anxiety. I don't get anxiety very much anyway, but if I'm a little anxious about something, it doesn't seem to affect the breathing at least that I've noticed.

It's interesting about the symptoms subsiding when distracted or concentrating. I have hobbies where I'm deeply concentrated and don't notice the symptoms a whole lot when I'm doing them. So either due to being distracted enough to not notice them, or that the mind perceives them less when it's focused on something. So that's definitely interesting, but a few years when the symptoms were worse, sometimes trying to distract myself didn't work.

Let me know what tests you plan on doing. Who knows if they will uncover anything, but at least it gives you a good overall idea of your health in general.

@mostafamahjoori

Update : today my sob after 2 weeks is come back
Now 100 % im beleive anxiety cause my air hunger ,
In 2 last week im understand when im talking with people my symptoms are more active
I hoped i can cured it completely
And Suddenly today its come back same of first day
For now im in buteyko training and maybe xanax again

Jump to this post

I am wondering if you have SILENT REFLUX……Xanax is helpful and can diminish the feeling of shortness of breath, but at the same time - it can depress breathing. One way to test if you have silent reflux, is to take a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) 30-40 minutes before eating a meal - and then see if your sob improves. Sometimes it takes doing this a couple of times. Talk to your doctor about this. This happens to me sometimes…….my neck can actually start to feel tight after a meal - not every time - which tells me that stomach acid has made it’s way to my esophagus and lungs…….which can cause shortness of breath - and over time lead to asthma.

@kelly7232

I am wondering if you have SILENT REFLUX……Xanax is helpful and can diminish the feeling of shortness of breath, but at the same time - it can depress breathing. One way to test if you have silent reflux, is to take a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) 30-40 minutes before eating a meal - and then see if your sob improves. Sometimes it takes doing this a couple of times. Talk to your doctor about this. This happens to me sometimes…….my neck can actually start to feel tight after a meal - not every time - which tells me that stomach acid has made it’s way to my esophagus and lungs…….which can cause shortness of breath - and over time lead to asthma.

Jump to this post

Hi kelly
I have acid reflux
And i using ppi and other medicine for so i think its not relation between them
Recentlly i find out when im in public or talking whit other my symptoms get worse
Some people beleive this is OCD , like when someone wash his hands regularly
But i know for me whatever it is related to anxiey even when i dont feel anxious
I hate to be anyone who have to use medicine for rest of my life
My jaw and throat are hurt because of fighting whit it

Please sign in or register to post a reply.