Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@kperry

He suggested a therapist which I have. I asked him for a chest X-ray. It’s just a matter of leaving my house to get it.

Jump to this post

@kperry I can empathize with you that this sounds to be very overwhelming and all-consuming, however, I also know that you have motivation to get back to the mom you were prior to this. If I could inspire you to make one small step each day that would help your health, I would say to start with making an appointment for the X-ray. Once that is done, the next thing is to make a plan for how you will get to that appointment. Do you have someone that could assist you?

This community is here for the support you need and would like nothing more to see you get answers.

@yaramarthe

You guys know my history of excessive yawning after eating. Well yesterday something weird happened to me I had fresh mint tea early in the morning that was for the first time in a while but 15 minutes after drinking it my whole body started stinging and It felt minty all over my body up to my throat and started itching me so bad. It kept coming back everytime and then I had this extreme thirst that wouldn't go away I had 20 bottles of water I couldn't control the thirst if I didn't drink something I felt like I was going to pass out and my throat was so dry I had white thick mucus coming out of my mouth. I went to the ER they said everything is fine it was like that from 10 am to 9 pm then I went to sleep. I'm still thirsty not as much now guys. I know that mint tea is antioxidant I'm think it found something in body idk let me know what you guys think.

Jump to this post

@yaramarthe- Oh, my goodness. That certainly sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Can you think of anything other than the tea that might have been different? Did you have blood work done? If I were you I'd get a copy of them and all other tests and try and get in to see your doctor. How are you feeling today?

@merpreb

Jorge- I'm sure that you know that smoking is a big part of these troubles. Have you considered stopping? I smoked for 35 years and it's been 23 years since my last cigarette.

Please check this out so that you can get support.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/ways-to-curb-your-cravings-for-nicotene/

Jump to this post

Thank you Merry. Yes, I know do and I am planning to quit. I will check for support
best wishes

@kperry

I don’t want to go out because it’s hard to breathe I’m scared I won’t be able to while I’m out

Jump to this post

@kperry set a timer in your house for 10 min and walk. Do this a couple times a day. You can breath- take tiny sips of air in and out and focus on getting stronger. Sometimes putting a liitle esential oil (peppermint or eucalylptus) on a tissue and inhaling that will help you breath. Drink plenty of water. Reach out to your doctor about anxiety meds and think positive. Get a pulse oximeter so you can see your oxygen levels. When we have extra time to foucus on every breath we take it is overwhelming. I'm only saying this from a firmilar place. You will be ok.

@merpreb

@yaramarthe- Oh, my goodness. That certainly sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Can you think of anything other than the tea that might have been different? Did you have blood work done? If I were you I'd get a copy of them and all other tests and try and get in to see your doctor. How are you feeling today?

Jump to this post

Usually after I get an allergic reaction it's always like excessive yawning and air hunger but this time I didn't get any of those my oxygen was at 100 I did not yawn once throughout the day and I watch my body stinging and pin and needles without any breathing problem. I can't tell if it was an allergic reaction or if the tea found toxins in my body.

@merpreb

Jump to this post

The only think I had all day was the tea I didn't eat until 10 o clock at night my mouth was sore I couldn't chew

@jorgeolmedom

@funcountess
Thanks a lot for your suggestions and for your interest in my case.
Well, I saw an ear, nose and throat doctor in he said that my problem is acid reflux. I was taking Pantoprazole and I did not get any better. Yesterday I started taking ometprazole, (a suggestion from Terry @windwalker) and following her recommedations and I feel some reliefe today. I will continue with this treatment and reflux protocols.
Well, to answer some of your questions, I am 46 years old, I do not drink alcohol but I do smoke.I do not have carpets or pets but I am very sensitive to insect bites and yes, my skin itches all the time.
I will have to continue treatment in Colombia since traveling to the US is not possible now.
I appreciate your concern and good bless you.

Jump to this post

Hello,
Sounds like you are feeling better. Smoking is a big NO NO. That could be part of your health issues. Do you eat spicy foods?
From what I understand the food in Columbia can be spiced up a bit. Insect bites are another issue. I’m sensitive to their bites, and get itchy skin also.
Best to keep your skin moisturized. Do you have a lot of humidity where you live?
46 years old is too young for all your health concerns. You could be setting yourself up for future lung trouble. I suggest you get help to stop smoking.
Stay well,
Funcountess

@yaramarthe

The only think I had all day was the tea I didn't eat until 10 o clock at night my mouth was sore I couldn't chew

Jump to this post

@yaramarthe- Good morning. I'm sorry that you have had such a scary and rough time. Please remember to write down the name of the tea so that it's ingredients can be given to your pharmacist and doctor. If I were you I would also call the company that makes the tea (not the shipping company) and get all of the ingredients. I would pursue this until you get every single one.

How are you feeling today? Is your mouth still sore?

@yaramarthe

Usually after I get an allergic reaction it's always like excessive yawning and air hunger but this time I didn't get any of those my oxygen was at 100 I did not yawn once throughout the day and I watch my body stinging and pin and needles without any breathing problem. I can't tell if it was an allergic reaction or if the tea found toxins in my body.

Jump to this post

@yaramarthe- If you still have symptoms I suggest a return to the ER. It sounds as if you weren't given any medications to help with your symptoms. Have you called your doctor about this?

It was fresh mint leaves straight from the plant that’s why I still don’t understand how I got this reaction

Please sign in or register to post a reply.