Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@rosey5713

Hello! I have been experiencing these same symptoms for the past 3 years. I have been to a doctor twice and have been prescribed allergy medication and an inhaler, both of which did not work. I am able to exercise completely fine, and it has been more of an annoyance than anything. Still, I would love to not be taking deep breaths constantly or trying to yawn without success. Wondering if you have found any answers over the last two years? Thanks!

Jump to this post

Minerals ( in their alkaline form--especially magnesium), bicarbonates, fruits and vegetables, alkaline diet.

@rosey5713

Hello! I have been experiencing these same symptoms for the past 3 years. I have been to a doctor twice and have been prescribed allergy medication and an inhaler, both of which did not work. I am able to exercise completely fine, and it has been more of an annoyance than anything. Still, I would love to not be taking deep breaths constantly or trying to yawn without success. Wondering if you have found any answers over the last two years? Thanks!

Jump to this post

Hi @rosey5713. I have not found answers in the sense that it's completely gone, but I have been able to manage the condition through breathing exercises and moderate physical exercise. So it's an annoyance at this point, but manageable.

@rosey5713

Jump to this post

@rosey5713- Good morning and welcome to Mayo Connect. My apologies for not welcoming you sooner. This mysterious shortness of breath has so many of us stumbling and bumbling along until we wind up exhausted from visiting doctors, having tests, sleepless nights, and worrying if breathing will just stop one day. I encourage you to read as many posts as you can to see if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms with your activity level. There is something that is called Exercise-induced SOB and exercise-induced asthma.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/exercise-induced-asthma/symptoms-causes/syc-20372300

Has your doctor mentioned having asthma when he/she prescribed inhalers? Have you had a lung function test?

Ok guys I am pleased to inform you that I cured perfectly from mysterious short of breath that everyone is talking about, and I got rid of it after several checkups with neurologist + abdominal doctors.
There is a reason triggered it first which is Acid reflux in my case, you may have different trigger, acid reflux later on had gone, but my body still didn't understand it.
After getting acid reflux due to several reasons among them:
1. Lying face down for massage for long time.
2. Wrong style in eating food.
3. Fast food like potato
4. Too oily food
And drinking too much cold drinks on an empty stomach, this all led to acid reflux after abdominal pain.

Now bear with me to understand what happened, acid reflux couses you to feel short of breath, which is well known to anyone, however, after getting medical attention and the reflux is gone, your body still in the same situation feeling short of breath, so it becomes a habit now, in the medical world, they call it 'a Tik'
Something that is similar to the word "syndrome", taking deep breath becomes something like a habit that you can't relax without doing it.
After understanding my situation, I was resisting the feeling to do it, the doctor told me to skip one every time, and compensate with another, until you minimize it to zero, but normal human being do it from time to time, I noticed it in my child while he is sleeping.
So this is all of it, I hope everyone shares my post and start doing what I did to get rid of it completely like I did.
Please note that too much responsibilities can make you do it from time to time, so control your anxiety level and understand that this kind of feeling the need to take a deep breath becomes a habit, the body doesn't feel ok if it doesn't do it.

Please try to breath from your mouth all the times, do you yawn a lot then?

@favilavir

Ok guys I am pleased to inform you that I cured perfectly from mysterious short of breath that everyone is talking about, and I got rid of it after several checkups with neurologist + abdominal doctors.
There is a reason triggered it first which is Acid reflux in my case, you may have different trigger, acid reflux later on had gone, but my body still didn't understand it.
After getting acid reflux due to several reasons among them:
1. Lying face down for massage for long time.
2. Wrong style in eating food.
3. Fast food like potato
4. Too oily food
And drinking too much cold drinks on an empty stomach, this all led to acid reflux after abdominal pain.

Now bear with me to understand what happened, acid reflux couses you to feel short of breath, which is well known to anyone, however, after getting medical attention and the reflux is gone, your body still in the same situation feeling short of breath, so it becomes a habit now, in the medical world, they call it 'a Tik'
Something that is similar to the word "syndrome", taking deep breath becomes something like a habit that you can't relax without doing it.
After understanding my situation, I was resisting the feeling to do it, the doctor told me to skip one every time, and compensate with another, until you minimize it to zero, but normal human being do it from time to time, I noticed it in my child while he is sleeping.
So this is all of it, I hope everyone shares my post and start doing what I did to get rid of it completely like I did.
Please note that too much responsibilities can make you do it from time to time, so control your anxiety level and understand that this kind of feeling the need to take a deep breath becomes a habit, the body doesn't feel ok if it doesn't do it.

Please try to breath from your mouth all the times, do you yawn a lot then?

Jump to this post

@favilavir- This is wonderful news for you and you must feel on top of the world. A lot of us have GERD as the cause of our SOB, but many of us do not. There are so many other reasons for it and this is why someone called it "mysterious", very aptly, I would say.

There is more to mouth breathing than just opening your mouth and inhaling. I'm going to link a video so that you can get the whole picture. It begins with inhaling through your nose and exhaling, with pursed lips. Your breath needs to fill your belly, not your upper chest.

Does this make sense?

@merpreb

@rosey5713- Good morning and welcome to Mayo Connect. My apologies for not welcoming you sooner. This mysterious shortness of breath has so many of us stumbling and bumbling along until we wind up exhausted from visiting doctors, having tests, sleepless nights, and worrying if breathing will just stop one day. I encourage you to read as many posts as you can to see if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms with your activity level. There is something that is called Exercise-induced SOB and exercise-induced asthma.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/exercise-induced-asthma/symptoms-causes/syc-20372300

Has your doctor mentioned having asthma when he/she prescribed inhalers? Have you had a lung function test?

Jump to this post

Hello, thank you for your reply! When I was around 10, I was told I have exercise-induced asthma, but it has not bothered me in over 5 years. I did recently take the lung function test again, and was prescribed a new inhaler. That's what I assumed this shortness of breath was from, but it does not seem to get worse when I am exercising and the inhaler I have does not make any difference in relieving it.

@rosey5713- I have lung cancer and my pulmonologist just changed my inhaler too. I take Trellegy. It's wonderful. What were you switched to? Do you know of a way to control this asthma?

Here is a link to help you gain more control of your breathing during and after exercise while continuing your inhaler
https://rocketpure.com/blogs/news/controlling-exercise-induced-asthma-without-medication

Hey, wanted to pop in to give an update.

I've been on Lexapro now five weeks, and the last three or so days I've kind of stopped doing the breathing stuff unless I really think about it. I believe it was anxiety/OCD driving this. I truly believe healing is possible.

@qbug

Hey, wanted to pop in to give an update.

I've been on Lexapro now five weeks, and the last three or so days I've kind of stopped doing the breathing stuff unless I really think about it. I believe it was anxiety/OCD driving this. I truly believe healing is possible.

Jump to this post

@qbug- Good morning and thank you for getting back to us! This is good news for you. Anxiety, which is my middle name, can wreak havoc on so much of our bodies. I hope that you can move forward now and use some great relaxing techniques so that perhaps you can wean off of Lexapro at some time in the future. Keep in touch please.

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/depression-anxiety/

How have you handled anxiety in the past?

@merpreb

@qbug- Good morning and thank you for getting back to us! This is good news for you. Anxiety, which is my middle name, can wreak havoc on so much of our bodies. I hope that you can move forward now and use some great relaxing techniques so that perhaps you can wean off of Lexapro at some time in the future. Keep in touch please.

https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/depression-anxiety/

How have you handled anxiety in the past?

Jump to this post

I haven't handled it well. This is the first time I've used an AD to tackle it. I am now almost 6 weeks in and the breathing thing is 90% gone. I don't think about it and I found myself yawning last night because I was tired and wow, it was automatic!! Amazing!

So I encourage those suffering to try an OCD/anxiety targeted medication.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.