Myelofibrosis*

Posted by wellness3070 @wellness3070, Jan 5, 2017

Anyone out there wishing to discuss above diagnosis?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Blood Cancers & Disorders Support Group.

I was diagnosed with Myelofibrosis almost 2 1/2 years ago. Lost 50 pounds, have tremendous fatigue, pains that come and go in various spots.

Went to the ER after a long night of abdominal discomfort and chronic constipation. A PetScan indicated possible presence of a second, but extremely rare, blood cancer called Erdheim Chester Disease (ECD).

A couple biopsies later, ECD was confirmed.

After consulting with the few medical experts around the globe who follow ECD (including Mayo), my oncologist prescribed Cotellic by Genentech.

Very quickly, my medical condition improved by perhaps 50-plus percent!

It seems that my symptoms were coming from the ECD as opposed to the Myelofibrosis all along and I could have been treated a year earlier as the ECD showed up a year earlier on a CatScan ordered by my urologist looking for a kidney stone, but nobody read the report carefully. Bad primary!!!

What’s my point here? Get a PetScan!!! Your symptoms that you think are coming from your Myelofibrosis might not be.

@hopeful33250

Hello @wellness3070 and thanks for beginning this conversation. Please share with us your interest in this disorder. Is this a recent diagnosis for you? We look forward to getting to know you better and having others share with you from their experiences as well.

Jump to this post

I have had Pilycthemia Vera for almost 20 years. It’s now has changed to Myelofbrosis. Just looking for people that has this as well and how are they dealing with it.

@sunbird09

I have had Pilycthemia Vera for almost 20 years. It’s now has changed to Myelofbrosis. Just looking for people that has this as well and how are they dealing with it.

Jump to this post

Welcome to Connect, @sunbird09 Over time, some people with PV may develop MF. This occurs if scar tissue replaces bone marrow which can interfere with the bone marrow’s ability to produce enough healthy blood cells.

Here’s another link to a good discussion in the forum with members who have MF. You can reverse the order of the conversations to see the most current replies.
Do you know if you have a genetic mutation such as JAK2?

~Myelofibrosis w/ JAK2 mutation
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myelofibrosis-w-jak2-mutation/

Where you on any treatment plan for your PV? What has your hematologist oncologist suggested for this next phase of your condition?

@snakebite

Hello; I've been fighting MF for a very long time, about 15 yrs. I'm 75 yrs old. I've had just about every treatment available. Some seemed to help for a while, but didn't last for the long term. I take Reblozyl injections every 3 weeks, Aranesp injections every 2 weeks, Dacogen infusions every 4 weeks. Vonjo oral twice every day. Blood transfusions are needed every 2-4 weeks to keep HGB above 8. I've been anxiously awaiting the release of momelotinib. I ask the FDA about it today, 7/10/23, and they said a decision on it will be made by Sept 16, 2023. No doubt that I have been slowly loosing ground over the entire time and my ability to continue my active life style as usual has been greatly decreased. I do continue to take a long walk daily, but I take care not to push myself too hard. Without the available Oxygen it's easy to overdo things. The one thing I suggest is to not just sit on your butt and cry.... get up every morning, clean yourself up, look your best and find something every day to be greatful for.

Jump to this post

Please sign in or register to post a reply.