(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@kathyhg

How may cups do you drink a day. To find it helpful?

Jump to this post

Usually two, sometimes just one. I find it helps loosening mucus and with shortness of breath. My husband drinks it too, but adds a bit of honey.
Sue

@mrf5629

Thank you Sue. Which do you think works better? The licorice root or the Breathe Easy?

Jump to this post

I don't use licorice root because the tea works for me & I get a much lower dose of licorice, so less concern about BP.
Sue

@goddard

Unfortunately the dong quai in Clear Lungs has estrogenic properties, so those of us with estrogen positive tumors Are advised to avoid. A wonderful website re contraindications and side effects of herbs and botanicals is contained in MSKCC.org , Website for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. They have All About Herbs App, very informative.

Jump to this post

clpc, Thanks for posting. It appears dong quai will increase estrogenic effects. Any drug that does that will decrease testosterone as well. It was hard for me to locate that info on the MSKCC.org site. Here is a direct link: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/dong-quai#field-herb-mechanism-of-action Bill

@poodledoc

clpc, Thanks for posting. It appears dong quai will increase estrogenic effects. Any drug that does that will decrease testosterone as well. It was hard for me to locate that info on the MSKCC.org site. Here is a direct link: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/dong-quai#field-herb-mechanism-of-action Bill

Jump to this post

I've used the site for years. I'm a patient at MSKCC, but anyone can use it. The one on the internet has amazing depth of information. You can drill down and find every ncbi peer reviewed medical article if you want, or can get just a short summary of effects. The site always addresses how the herb relates to cancer, but also all other med conditions. I just downloaded the app for my phone yesterday (also Free). mmmmIm not sure it is as in depth as the site online you found. Example of how useful it is-----My daughter.-in-law and I were together and she was drinking an herbal tea Ashwatanga (sp?) and offered me some, so I looked it up first on the MSKCC site and it said do not combine with anesthetics---I was just coming out of ( a couple hours later) general anesthesia from my SuperD Navigation Bronchoscopy. Thank goodness for that warning. . In addition. she was then having problems with her pregnancy, and lo behold the site said that tea is known to cause spontaneous abortion. I was bummed after reading all the good reviews on Clear Lungs that I couldnt take it because I had ER/PR tumor-- but better to know. MSKCC actually also has a Chinese med pharmacy at one of their campuses.

Can someone tell me whether the Breathe East tea referred to is the brand called Traditional Nedicinals? Tough night so surfing for products!

@mrf5629

Can someone tell me whether the Breathe East tea referred to is the brand called Traditional Nedicinals? Tough night so surfing for products!

Jump to this post

Yes, Beth, the tea is made by Traditional Medicines. I am so sorry that you had a tough night. I think we can all relate to that. Was there a specific symptom that kept you awake?

@windwalker

Yes, Beth, the tea is made by Traditional Medicines. I am so sorry that you had a tough night. I think we can all relate to that. Was there a specific symptom that kept you awake?

Jump to this post

Thank yoy!

@windwalker

Jump to this post

Dear friends, can somebody help me with advice ?
Unfortunately I had to stop all my TB meds today. I've developed rapidly worsening Long QT (now in the 'severe' range) and Hypokalemia from the Azithromycin and Clofazimine.
I tried so hard to be a very compliant patient over the past 2 years, but have to stop now even though I still haven't got rid of the MAI. I just can't seem to make it to the finish line!
Has anyone else gone through this ? Do you have any advice for me ?
This site has been quiet for a while, but I think of you all, and I hope somebody can help me and all of us
Anniepie x

@anniepie

Dear friends, can somebody help me with advice ?
Unfortunately I had to stop all my TB meds today. I've developed rapidly worsening Long QT (now in the 'severe' range) and Hypokalemia from the Azithromycin and Clofazimine.
I tried so hard to be a very compliant patient over the past 2 years, but have to stop now even though I still haven't got rid of the MAI. I just can't seem to make it to the finish line!
Has anyone else gone through this ? Do you have any advice for me ?
This site has been quiet for a while, but I think of you all, and I hope somebody can help me and all of us
Anniepie x

Jump to this post

@anniepie I am so sorry you are dealing with these other health issues arising from the meds. That is a problem with MAC/MAI. It is difficult to get rid of for many of us, and the drugs to accomplish that are harsh. The suggestion I will make is to talk to your ID doctor about Arikayce. It is inhaled and, therefore, goes directly to your lungs. It is for people like you and others who have not responded to conventional treatment or can’t tolerate the other meds alone. It is worth asking about. irene5

@anniepie What a difficult path many are on with lung infection. I have no suggestions but hope you are able to find a solution. Good luck to you. Kate

Please sign in or register to post a reply.