(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@alleycatkate

@pfists. Hi Sharri...I have pulled up and have been reading all of your past posts as I am interested in the Bidens and Cryptolepsis for preventative measures. I am asymptomatic for MAC....just diagnosed about month ago. I see you went from pos to negative. Do you still feel that you are getting great results with these two tinctures?? Any more you can say about them? I also noticed you mentioning licorice and, shoot, now I forgot the other one but it sounded like it was for Gerd? I am have my shopping cart sitting with the two tinctures and thought I would touch base with you before I ordered. I am feeling like a bit of a maniac with ordering many alternative measures...but, if they bring success, why not? I've always gone the alternative route anyway. Thanks for any input. Kate

Jump to this post

@heathert the probiotic only give you good bacteria to kill the bad one.  No secondary effects!  Use a good one!

@jkiemen

It is amazing to see how we are all searching for an treatment with as many things we can get our hands on because the lack of progress in Medical Research to come up with at better treatment. We seem willing to try anything and everything.

Jump to this post

@jkiemen I agree with you! It is by trying that we will keep our lungs more healthy because they haven’t been successful with there study!  The research is also a trial. They experiment just like we do.  I am glad doing it with natural medicine instead the

the big 3 with all its secondary effects.  I am happy with my success! Nick

@soflo

Hi Kate and all, I am new here to the group and I’m so happy I stumbled upon you all. I have MAC and bronchiectasas and I’m pretty scared. I started three antibiotics for 2 weeks and I just stopped because I got ill and just couldn’t swallow pills for a few days because of nausea. I’m not sure if I got ill because of the antibiotics. I am struggling because I’m not sure how to move forward with this illness. I’m really afraid of the antibiotics and the havec they may cause on my body. I am wondering, do I just move forward and put this in gods hands and be proactive in other healthy ways but not take the antibiotics. I wish us all peace, health and happiness 🙂 Thanks for any input....Dee

Jump to this post

@windwalker yes my brother had a double lung transplant because he had both pulmonary fibrosis. His lungs was all hardened by the disease.  He was a strong smoker and was expose to diesel fume.  He had his transplant for 10 years and pass away  2years ago.

He fought very hard to stay alive.  After his transplant his wife was still smoking outside or in the basement but the toxins was all in the house.  People who smoke around you is very bad for people with lung disease.  I have a lot of problem understand why

people are given permission to smoke around the pool.  It doesn’t matter if you smoke outside the darn toxins is in the air and you have problem breathing. We can’t eat outside a restaurant because smoker try to kill us because they are permitted to smoke

outside a restaurant.  What a pity we are paying for those who don’t care for there life! Nick! 

@soflo

Hi Kate and all, I am new here to the group and I’m so happy I stumbled upon you all. I have MAC and bronchiectasas and I’m pretty scared. I started three antibiotics for 2 weeks and I just stopped because I got ill and just couldn’t swallow pills for a few days because of nausea. I’m not sure if I got ill because of the antibiotics. I am struggling because I’m not sure how to move forward with this illness. I’m really afraid of the antibiotics and the havec they may cause on my body. I am wondering, do I just move forward and put this in gods hands and be proactive in other healthy ways but not take the antibiotics. I wish us all peace, health and happiness 🙂 Thanks for any input....Dee

Jump to this post

@flib i have a very stupid question? Do you have pain on top of your feet above the toes? Or under your feet where your palm is? Nick

@soflo

Jump to this post

@nick52 Awe....I am so sorry that you lost your brother. He did well to stay alive for ten yrs after his transplant. It is the most difficult of transplants. What year did he have his transplant? Did he have it done in Canada?

@pfists

Regarding coliadial silver
My naturalpathic Dr put me on it, so he must believe there is some merit. Mayo clinic doctors have sent him patients they haven't been able to help.
I have read up on its use quite a bit on and know it was used extensively before antibiotics and they still use it for burn patients There won't be extensive testing on it unless big pharma figures out how to make it into a drug for profit.
I don't think it alone has helped me or if it helped me at all. I always took a pretty small amount. I do know there was a problem with silver salts and all acumillating and causing blueish color.
But saying all that I wouldn't be comfortable nebulizing at all until research was done on it. There could be contaminates in the solution or something. I'm pretty careful about what I inhale avoid dust, scents smoke. I know that when bacteria comes in contract with silver from what I have read can't exist and it doesn't become resistant to colidal silver.
But I have an open mind and will keep researching.
Thanks for your concern!
Shari

Jump to this post

@pfists Ha! I was thinking of breaking out the sterling goblets that were handed down from my grandparents! And start drinking from them.

@pfists

Regarding coliadial silver
My naturalpathic Dr put me on it, so he must believe there is some merit. Mayo clinic doctors have sent him patients they haven't been able to help.
I have read up on its use quite a bit on and know it was used extensively before antibiotics and they still use it for burn patients There won't be extensive testing on it unless big pharma figures out how to make it into a drug for profit.
I don't think it alone has helped me or if it helped me at all. I always took a pretty small amount. I do know there was a problem with silver salts and all acumillating and causing blueish color.
But saying all that I wouldn't be comfortable nebulizing at all until research was done on it. There could be contaminates in the solution or something. I'm pretty careful about what I inhale avoid dust, scents smoke. I know that when bacteria comes in contract with silver from what I have read can't exist and it doesn't become resistant to colidal silver.
But I have an open mind and will keep researching.
Thanks for your concern!
Shari

Jump to this post

@alleycatkate Kate, that was an interesting read about the filtering pots. I wonder how much they are? If I ever go on 'Naked and Afraid', that will be my object of choice to bring along. LOL! Seriously, I can imagine they are quite useful in some parts of the world.

@yayaaz

My Aunt is 89 years old. She has had bronchiectasis for quite a few years. It was not as serious until recently. She was diagnosed with MAI/MAC a couple of days ago and will see her doctor tomorrow for treatment. Her doctor told her Medicare/Medicaid won’t cover the treatment. The doctor will send a letter asking for a hearing to allow her to have the medicines needed. Do you have any other ideas that might be helpful? She will not have the money to pay out of pocket for the lengthy treatment.
Also, I’m concerned how she will withstand the treatment.
Thank you for listening and for your help.

Jump to this post

@yayaaz Renee, I was on doxycycline for three yrs without any side-effects. I hope your aunt can tolerate it.

@alleycatkate

@windwalker ...bless your heart for all the work you do to help us cope and get better. I cannot tell you how uplifting your post was that said using a saline solution and nebulizer makes a very hostile environment for MAC. I feel as though i regained my sanity reading that! Looking forward to your FB page!!

Jump to this post

I am interested in opinions about my husband beginning to take the big 3. He has severe COPD, Bronchiectasis, a left lower lobe collapsed lung, he is on oxygen, he is an anemic, weight is down to 114, diabetes type 2, which does not cause him any problems and heart disease with one stint. I wonder if he is strong enough to begin the treatment. However, ID doctor ordered the prescriptions and wants him to begin Monday.

@alleycatkate

@pfists. Hi Sharri...I have pulled up and have been reading all of your past posts as I am interested in the Bidens and Cryptolepsis for preventative measures. I am asymptomatic for MAC....just diagnosed about month ago. I see you went from pos to negative. Do you still feel that you are getting great results with these two tinctures?? Any more you can say about them? I also noticed you mentioning licorice and, shoot, now I forgot the other one but it sounded like it was for Gerd? I am have my shopping cart sitting with the two tinctures and thought I would touch base with you before I ordered. I am feeling like a bit of a maniac with ordering many alternative measures...but, if they bring success, why not? I've always gone the alternative route anyway. Thanks for any input. Kate

Jump to this post

@nick52 Could you please elaborate on how much you use and how you prepare the ginger. Please make it a recipe for "how to prepare ginger for dummies"! Thank you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.