(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@charleycroch

Note from the Community Director
This post was removed because it did not comply with Mayo Clinic Connect's Terms of Use: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/terms-of-use/

We moderate this community to keep it free from posts that are medically inaccurate and contain any information, software, or other material of a commercial nature; contain solicitations or advertisements of any kind; or constitute or contain false or misleading indication of origin or statement of fact.

Learn more about why and how we moderate Connect: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/about-our-moderators-and-mentors/

Jump to this post

That's exactly what I was thinking, too, when I spotted that posting because when I first started reading about MAC I kept running into it being associated with people who are HIV positive.

@bschaper2

Wow, I have been gone too long from this site. Nicole, love your video above.

Question 1 - for those of you that use the saline inhalation 7% twice daily -- how the heck to you get the whole vial inhaled without coughing to death? I usually only make it 1/4 to 1/3 through it before I am coughing so bad that I just cannot finish. Is this normal?

Question 2- do you all believe that certain foods cause more mucus and if so, what foods, please?

Thanks - Barb

Jump to this post

Thanks Windwalker!

@sophie1019

Does anyone use a PIC line to get their meds???

Jump to this post

I had a pic line for 9 weeks. I did 2 antibiotics twice daily through the pic line. If you have questions feel free to contact me by private message.

@sophie1019

Does anyone use a PIC line to get their meds???

Jump to this post

I have a pic line also. Was taking amikican, but made my kidney function bad, very bad. Had to come off. Now my creatine levels are coming down....so happy...

wow everything has gone so quiet, how is everybody doing?

@heathert

Jump to this post

Hi @heathert
I noticed that you are not following the MAC & Bronchiectasis group. That's probably why it seems that things have gone quiet. There has been activity in other threads in the MAC group just not on this one. If you follow the group, then you won't miss anything. Here's how:

1. Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis group https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/mac-bronchiectasis/
2. Cick +Follow (below the description of the group)
3. Select whether to receive an email each time a new post appears or to be notified about posts in an email digest only.
4. Click Update.

To learn more about following groups and optimizing how to use Connect, please see this step-by-step guide https://connect.mayoclinic.org/get-started-on-connect/

I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

@heathert

Jump to this post

Hi Colleen, not sure how that happened, Am I a member now?
Thanks
Heather

@heathert

Jump to this post

Indeed. You are a member of the MAC group now, Heather. You can see which groups you follow on your profile page https://connect.mayoclinic.org/member/93086aa0097c55da17daa9122e2b08158c62b1427/?utm_campaign=hub_email&utm_source=email&utm_medium=comment_intro_userlink

@heathert

Jump to this post

I am doing really good! I’m still waiting for my results of the MRI done this wednesday!

As far as my dysphagia goes. I am using SYMPLY THICK it is a gel instead of the powder.  I am doing really good with thick (nectar) liquid.  I haven’t had sputum since. It might worth a try for those of you who has pneumonia often.  I am glad that I finally

found the cause of my bronchiestasis! 

My last bronchoscopy lab test confirm no MAC or any other bacteria. All were negative on the lab report. I’m still waiting to see my doctor because my appointments were postpone.

We are leaving Dec 3 for Florida.  It would be a pleasure to meet those of you who live in Florida.

Nicole

@heathert

Jump to this post

@nick52 Nicole that is wonderful news! Seems like all of your diligence in taking care of yourself is paying off. How long will you be in Florida?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.