(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@auntnanny

To the best of my recollection, when I was at Mayo's 2 years ago I gave sputum samples on three different days. It seems to me they knew immediately that there was a showing of MAC but decided to not treat it because it was not much. Now, since I've been home and using a more local lab, my primary care physician has usually requested the analysis and I take the sample to the lab. Have done this about 8 times over the last two years....... it has shown MRSA, MSSA, pseudomonas, etc., and there would be a listing of antibiotics recommended for whatever was there. I have hard copies of all. I always ask for that. But, the last four times the report has said negative and therefore there has been no recommended antibiotic. Dr. Moua (Mayo's) has just told me to use clindamycin as that has always worked well. When I've inquired of the lab about MAC they tell me there has been nothing to culture and I've never had a culture report from the local lab. I'm doing pretty well...... but I've read it takes 6-8 weeks to culture for Mac, and therefore, just wonder if they are getting it right. I have questioned why I seem to have a flare of coughing and no bacteria (for four times) ....... then I take antibiotics for a couple of weeks and am clear for about a month. It's just not all understandable to me. but certainly I'm not ill like I was when I got to Mayo's two years ago after five years of horrid coughing and green phlegm and 7 local doctors saying I had asthma (which I knew was not right). Mayo's is 10 hours from here so I'll go back if I become ill again but I've done okay with whatever program I'm on presently. Could change tomorrow....... but that is my story as of now. The coughing used to be so bad I sat up in bed for years to try to sleep at all. I was never able to go to any public function because I would steal the show. So...... one thing I found relieved that cough just for a few hours at night was a hydrocodone. I came upon that by accident. It was given to me for an injury and I found that it suppressed the cough for about 4 hours -- enough that I could get a little bit of sleep. Just passing this on in case there is someone who has not been able to get any rest at all. Worth a try. I didn't take it in the daytime because I certainly didn't want to become addicted but at night, it was the only relief I ever found ----- until I got to Mayo's.

Jump to this post

Just wanted to know the name of the filter that you installed in your home. I believe that Katherine installed the Pall Kleenpak Disposable Shower Head Filter. Was wondering if that was the one that you installed. She put it on a shower head that is only used by her and thus she changes it every other month instead of monthly. Can get pricey and confusing. Terry

@auntnanny

To the best of my recollection, when I was at Mayo's 2 years ago I gave sputum samples on three different days. It seems to me they knew immediately that there was a showing of MAC but decided to not treat it because it was not much. Now, since I've been home and using a more local lab, my primary care physician has usually requested the analysis and I take the sample to the lab. Have done this about 8 times over the last two years....... it has shown MRSA, MSSA, pseudomonas, etc., and there would be a listing of antibiotics recommended for whatever was there. I have hard copies of all. I always ask for that. But, the last four times the report has said negative and therefore there has been no recommended antibiotic. Dr. Moua (Mayo's) has just told me to use clindamycin as that has always worked well. When I've inquired of the lab about MAC they tell me there has been nothing to culture and I've never had a culture report from the local lab. I'm doing pretty well...... but I've read it takes 6-8 weeks to culture for Mac, and therefore, just wonder if they are getting it right. I have questioned why I seem to have a flare of coughing and no bacteria (for four times) ....... then I take antibiotics for a couple of weeks and am clear for about a month. It's just not all understandable to me. but certainly I'm not ill like I was when I got to Mayo's two years ago after five years of horrid coughing and green phlegm and 7 local doctors saying I had asthma (which I knew was not right). Mayo's is 10 hours from here so I'll go back if I become ill again but I've done okay with whatever program I'm on presently. Could change tomorrow....... but that is my story as of now. The coughing used to be so bad I sat up in bed for years to try to sleep at all. I was never able to go to any public function because I would steal the show. So...... one thing I found relieved that cough just for a few hours at night was a hydrocodone. I came upon that by accident. It was given to me for an injury and I found that it suppressed the cough for about 4 hours -- enough that I could get a little bit of sleep. Just passing this on in case there is someone who has not been able to get any rest at all. Worth a try. I didn't take it in the daytime because I certainly didn't want to become addicted but at night, it was the only relief I ever found ----- until I got to Mayo's.

Jump to this post

Sorry. I don't have a filter. Never installed one. Linda

@auntnanny

Jump to this post

Hi lindam, do you take your 3 med for MAC everyday? How long have you been taking the Amikacin? I have been on the big 3 for 14 months now and almost 2 weeks on Amikacin and I have not seen any changes. Did you get your result on your CT scan yet. Thanks for your help. Cila.

@colleenyoung

Katherine’s relentless trumpeting of the message “knowledge is learning to advocate for yourself. Knowledge is taking back the power over your health care” will forever remain with me and continue to echo throughout Connect. Now Katherine (@katemn) is practising what she preaches — knowledge is also knowing when it is time to take care of oneself.
Thank you from a community you helped make strong.
Always grateful
Colleen

Jump to this post

HELLO MODERATORS: HELP!!! Virtuous69 here. PLEASE REMOVE ALL MAC/MAI POSTS. CLOGGING MY EMAIL BY THE HUNDREDS. I;m having trouble staying up with the Chronic Pain Discussion Panel where I originally signed up. Thanks so much.

@colleenyoung

Katherine’s relentless trumpeting of the message “knowledge is learning to advocate for yourself. Knowledge is taking back the power over your health care” will forever remain with me and continue to echo throughout Connect. Now Katherine (@katemn) is practising what she preaches — knowledge is also knowing when it is time to take care of oneself.
Thank you from a community you helped make strong.
Always grateful
Colleen

Jump to this post

@virtuous Here is how you can stop the email notifications from this group from coming to your inbos:
1. Click on the View and Reply button of any of the emails from this group to get to the web site.
2. Scroll up to the top of the page and click on the down arrow next to the little person image in a circle.
3. Select Account Settings, then scroll down the page to find Email Notifications section.
4. Click on the + sign (Edit) next to Groups. Find the group you want the emails to stop. It is probably MAC & Brochiectasis.
5. Click on the down arrow to the right of the group name and select "Unfollow. Do not notify me anymore."
6. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click Save button.
This should stop the subsequent emails from this particular group from going to your Inbox. Hope this helps.

@auntnanny

Jump to this post

Hi, Cila, I was taking my meds every day but stopped them a month ago when I was getting very confused - a side effect of the Rifampin. I haven't taken Amikacin. I was taking Azithromycin, Ethambutol and Rifampin. I get my CT scan this week and see my doctor in a couple of weeks to see where to go from there. I will keep you all posted once I see him and get my results and game plan. Thanks for asking! Linda

@auntnanny

Jump to this post

Does that mean that they cannot i.d. a supecie or subspecie when sputems get tested at the labs at places like Mayo? I know places like Labcorp don't.

@auntnanny

Jump to this post

My husband installed some kind of reverse osmosis system under the kitchen sink. It has three filters. It was installed about 4 months ago. I asked him about changing the filter and he said he is only willing to do it every 6 months. I know that after 2 months the MAC starts to biofilm the filters. So, now I just boil the reg tap water since the filtered water may contain even more MAC! And drink mostly store bought juices and wine. At least those things had to go through heavy duty purifying processes. (Sigh) this sucks.....

@auntnanny

Jump to this post

So glad to hear that you got a recent test Gina.

@auntnanny

Jump to this post

Sounds good!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.