(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@cila

How can you produce sputum if you don't caught? I'm supposed to get sputum when I go to the Dr. but I can't get any. Any suggestion? Please! Thanks.

Jump to this post

@cila, I have great difficulty in bringing up mucous, too. Have you tried doing a nebulizer treatment prior to collection attempt? Drinking a hot tea & breathing the steam in sometimes helps. Taking a warm/hot shower helps me, too. I know they want it to be the first in the morning sputum but I figure it's good whatever time it is... it's better than nothing.

But since I couldn't produce sputum for culture, we had to do a bronchoscopy. They clean out "copious" amounts of mucous yet I can't cough it out!!! It's an extreme way to collect sputum for culture. We only did it that way because I was in need of it due to poor ability to breath & oxygen saturation dropping & threat of respiratory failure (which happens a few times a year). But whatever it takes to get a sputum is what you have to do! Try the ideas I mentioned along with whatever tips people mention here on Connect! The folks on Connect sure have a lot of good information to pass along! Good luck! Best, Jen 🙂

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

What a coincidence that my first name is Katherine/Kathy. I was just diagnosed with MAC, found out via a phone call from my Mayo doctor last night. I have been coughing for over 14 months and I just kept trying to get someone to tell me why..... Now that I have the diagnosis, what do I do? My first reaction was to try to get more information and that is how I stumbled across your posting. My doctor, Dr. Mullen at Mayo in Rochester, is a very nice man and he explained that some of the side effects of the treatment can be worse than the disease. So, I rejected the idea. When I saw your post saying that the reality may not be as bad as the hype, it gives me a different perspective. Would you be willing to share more of your experience with me? The doctors can only tell you what the books tell them unless they have had a patient who has gone through the process. Even then, different folks can have differing reactions. I am a 58 year old, recently retired (in part due to the coughing with the embarrassing results), I am overweight so the shortness of breath was attributed to that.....

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

@contentandwell JK, I too have GERD & Barretts Esophagus. I have annual endoscopys to keep a close eye on it. I take Nexium in the morning & Zantac at night. This helps. I gave up coffee along with some fruits. I LOVE PICKLES & often have a few at bedtime or when I can not sleep. It turns out, that the pickle juice is a natural acid reducer even though it would seem like the opposite would be true! I have blocks under the bed too to help with my breathing & GERD. I would love to someday have an adjustable bed but I don't see that happening anytime soon! Best, Jen 🙂

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

What a coincidence that my first name is Katherine/Kathy. I was just diagnosed with MAC, found out via a phone call from my Mayo doctor last night. I have been coughing for over 14 months and I just kept trying to get someone to tell me why..... Now that I have the diagnosis, what do I do? My first reaction was to try to get more information and that is how I stumbled across your posting. My doctor, Dr. Mullen at Mayo in Rochester, is a very nice man and he explained that some of the side effects of the treatment can be worse than the disease. So, I rejected the idea. When I saw your post saying that the reality may not be as bad as the hype, it gives me a different perspective. Would you be willing to share more of your experience with me? The doctors can only tell you what the books tell them unless they have had a patient who has gone through the process. Even then, different folks can have differing reactions. I am a 58 year old, recently retired (in part due to the coughing with the embarrassing results), I am overweight so the shortness of breath was attributed to that.....

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

@jentaylor Jen, interesting about the pickle juice. I avoid pickles because they are high in sodium. Do all types of pickles help? It sounds as if you must have ongoing discomfort from the Barrett's, do you? If so what? I had hoarseness which led to my endoscopy but there are no other symptoms. These days I take 40 mg of omeprazole in the morning. It was doubled after my transplant to combat some of the effects of the post-transplant drugs I have to take. I believe it will be reduced back to where it was at the one year "tranniversary". I am hoping for that because from what I have read long term use of PPIs is not good for you.
In cirrhosis you can get "varices" in your esophagus so I wonder/hope it will turn out that I didn't actually have Barrett's, which reminds it might be time to schedule another endoscopy. I will be looking forward to the results of that. I have been told that is not possible, but I still hope.
JK

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

Yes! I'm a masters prepared nurse & have noticed that coming up frequently. One of the sources for MAC has been cited as hospital environment because they keep the water temps below the level that kills MAC. Could that be the variable??

Thanks Jen, I will try that. Its just weird that I thought if you have broche. you caught but I don't. The only time I cough when my allergy tickles my throat. Maybe when I start my inhaled Amikacine will help. Thanks for your advised! Blessing to all. Cila.

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

I've noticed there are also a few teachers. I thought the same thing, working so many years with so many kids, if that may have weakened the immune system and made me susceptible to getting MAI. Wondering is certainly not going to change anything for us but if research could find SOME common causes, maybe others can avoid it.

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

Yes, it would be nice to find a common denominator. I was a nurse first, then a teacher forever (43 years), went to China six times, have two of six Chinese children who always test positive for TB due to BCG, and had a huge amount of dental work which ended ultimately in a mouth full of implants. Those professions and environmental variables seem to increase susceptibility. It really doesn't matter - it's just nice to have a bond with so many people on this forum to discuss all this.

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

@irene5 I
agree Irene.

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

@ginak I
agree, I am seeing a commonality and that is being exposed to many human
beings.

@kathyg

Hello, Kate

Thank you, Kathy

Jump to this post

@ginak,
Not only exposure to humans beings, but also in hotbeds of concentrated germs
and illness. i.e. children with colds and flu, hospitals with all kinds of
bugs.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.