(MAC/MAI) Mycobacterium Avium Complex Pulmonary Disease: Join us

Posted by Katherine, Alumni Mentor @katemn, Nov 21, 2011

I am new to Mayo online .. I was hoping to find others with .. MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and/or BRONCHIECTASIS. I found only 1 thread on mycobacterium accidently under the catagory "Lungs". I'm hoping by starting a subject matter directly related to MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) I may find others out there!

I was diagnosed by a sputum culture August 2007 (but the culture result was accidentally misfiled until 2008!) with MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) and BRONCHIECTASIS. I am now on 5 antibiotics. Working with Dr. Timothy Aksamit at Rochester Mayo Clinic .. he is a saint to have put up with me this long! I was terrified of the treatment . started the first antibiotic September 3, 2011 ... am now on all 5 antibiotics for 18 mos to 2 years. Am delighted at the very bearable side effects!

I wrote on the 1 thread I found: If you google NON-TUBERCULOUS MYCOBACTERIUM AVIUM COMPLEX PULMONARY DISEASE (MAC/MAI) you will learn a LOT about the disease. But PLEASE do NOT get scared about all the things you read .. that is what I did and nearly refused to do the treatment until after a 2nd Micomacterium was discovered! Educate yourself for "due diligence" .. but take it all with a grain of salt .. you are NOT necessarily going to have all the terrible side effects of the antibiotics! Good luck to you!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 2017 Update

One of our great Connect Members .. @Paula_MAC2007  .. had a wonderfully helpful idea that I wanted to share! Her idea .. as you read through the pages to gather information on our shared disease of MAC you can develop a personal "file cabinet" for future reference without the necessity of reading all the pages again!

If you have the "MS Word" program on your computer:
- Document Title Example:  Mayo Clinic Connect MAI/MAC Information
- Then develop different categories that make sense to you such as:  Heath Aids .. Videos .. Healthy Living .. Positive Thinking .. Baseline Testing and Regular Testing .. Antibiotics ..
Tips for
- As you read the pages .. copy/paste/save things of interest into that MS Word document under your preferred categories for future reference.

Then as you want to refer back to something in the future .. YEAH!  You have now created your own personal "file cabinet" on MAC/MAI!  Go to it!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@katemn

Hello @internalmeddoc. I am curious .. where do you practice .. do your medical research?

I was diagnosed with MAI/MAC in 2011 at Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN by Dr. Timothy Aksamit .. a worldwide respected expert on MAC/MAI. I found his philosophy on initial diagnosing of MAC/MAI to be EVALUATING: Xrays .. sputum culture .. CT scans .. pulmonary function tests .. and my responses to his VARIOUS medical questions. He then puts it all together like a big puzzle and then based on his MAI/MAC experience decides if/when to treat with what antibiotic regimen.

I am going to be very frank with you as the Volunteer Mentor of this Mayo Clinic Connect .. I find your statement " bronchoscopy to obtain samples and a possible biopsy even better. A lung scan or MRI is also a good idea prior to bronchoscopy to locate and target areas in the lung involved. Also, if there are any peripheral lymph nodes involved (enlarged or inflamed), these should be biopsied and sent to the lab. Also available are the more advanced PCRs for all tissue, sputum or bronchoscopy samples." .. to be possibly misleading and frightening to our newer members just newly diagnosed.

I am not a doctor but even I know a bronchoscopy to be MUCH more invasive than the method used by Dr. Timothy Aksamit. IF/WHEN the MAC/MAI CANNOT be diagnosed by 3 consecutive sputum tests (the currently accepted "gold standard) there definitely are times when further means are necessary for diagnosis such as a bronchoscopy etc. But for you to say that " bronchoscopy to obtain samples and a possible biopsy even better" makes me very uncomfortable. I could not allow your statement to stand on our Forum that Newcomers might read and be frightened by.

Mayo Clinic abides by the Hippocratic Oath .. “first, do no harm” .. LESS IS MORE! Katherine. Volunteer Mentor

Jump to this post

@colapyrus Jan, great Advice .. thank you! Again, a great video that explains the Bronchiectasis bleeding . PLUS good information for my File Cabinet .. thank you! Hugs! Katherine

explains blood/bleeding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeomndWSom8

@unicorn

My name is Christa, I have a child's glee about life, so I am a Unicorn. I have a nice life on the beach so it is not depression, I am not depressed. It is just FEAR, plain and simple fear. you guys know how terrifying it is when the blood gurgles up. (just happened this morn) This is why I mentioned the death pill. i don't want to go by way of pulmonary embolism or choking, jeez, can't we just die in our sleep??? I have gotten some great info on this site just now!! Thank you so much!! i feel like I have best doc in the world, Massachusettes General, Dr. O'Donnell, they study this disease and get tests from Jewish.
I mean, I am paying a fortune flying to Boston. I will ask about the colistin and tobramycin and about alternating monthly antibiotics. This is different, this is good. Keep it coming. I am less afraid when talking to someone. xoxoxo

Jump to this post

interesting, no I don't have any other conditions, but am afraid of blood. I know when i take the drugs, I dont bleed

@katemn

Hello @internalmeddoc. I am curious .. where do you practice .. do your medical research?

I was diagnosed with MAI/MAC in 2011 at Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN by Dr. Timothy Aksamit .. a worldwide respected expert on MAC/MAI. I found his philosophy on initial diagnosing of MAC/MAI to be EVALUATING: Xrays .. sputum culture .. CT scans .. pulmonary function tests .. and my responses to his VARIOUS medical questions. He then puts it all together like a big puzzle and then based on his MAI/MAC experience decides if/when to treat with what antibiotic regimen.

I am going to be very frank with you as the Volunteer Mentor of this Mayo Clinic Connect .. I find your statement " bronchoscopy to obtain samples and a possible biopsy even better. A lung scan or MRI is also a good idea prior to bronchoscopy to locate and target areas in the lung involved. Also, if there are any peripheral lymph nodes involved (enlarged or inflamed), these should be biopsied and sent to the lab. Also available are the more advanced PCRs for all tissue, sputum or bronchoscopy samples." .. to be possibly misleading and frightening to our newer members just newly diagnosed.

I am not a doctor but even I know a bronchoscopy to be MUCH more invasive than the method used by Dr. Timothy Aksamit. IF/WHEN the MAC/MAI CANNOT be diagnosed by 3 consecutive sputum tests (the currently accepted "gold standard) there definitely are times when further means are necessary for diagnosis such as a bronchoscopy etc. But for you to say that " bronchoscopy to obtain samples and a possible biopsy even better" makes me very uncomfortable. I could not allow your statement to stand on our Forum that Newcomers might read and be frightened by.

Mayo Clinic abides by the Hippocratic Oath .. “first, do no harm” .. LESS IS MORE! Katherine. Volunteer Mentor

Jump to this post

very good advice Katherine. I will take full dosage, MWF. I will try to get appt. next week. xo

@katemn

Jump to this post

@unicorn .. Christa I am proud of you .. you go Girl! Hugs to you! Katherine

@katemn

Jump to this post

Thanks Katherine, watched the whole thing. :Lots of good info. I'm going to find out what my bugs are!

@katemn

Jump to this post

Did you ever have to have the intervention radiology? My doctor just told me about it, said it was pretty new.

@katemn

Jump to this post

Dear All and @unicorn .. Christa I do not have a clue about intervention radiology .. I just googled it .. do your research .. AND your "due diligence"! Ask LOTS of questions!! Newer is NOT always best! Keep us posted! Hugs! Katherinne

https://www.google.com/search?q=intervention+radiolog+MAC%2FMAI&oq=intervention+radiolog+MAC%2FMAI&aqs=chrome..69i57.9758j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=what+is+interventional+radiology+procedures
@katemn

Jump to this post

I'm not sure if your question was for me but I have not. I had never heard of it until they told me about It this May. So far my bleeding episodes have always stopped on their own but I did check around for the hospitals near me that have intervention radiology depts just in case.

@katemn

Jump to this post

Yes I will do the same, good idea.

@maryjo2sell

Hi. I have been having trouble getting into the discussions. I write, but never see my comments. Are you seeing anything I wrote on levoquin or nebulizer recently?
Thx. Hope this shows up. Fondly, Mary Jo

Jump to this post

Hi @maryjo2sell,
This is the first post that has successfully appeared since Apr 28. I will send you a private message to work out any issues that may still be happening.
Colleen

Please sign in or register to post a reply.