How do I get rid of Morton's Neuroma?

Posted by smoen55 @smoen55, Jan 17, 2017

I have been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma in each foot between my 3rd and 4th metatarsal. How do I get rid of these?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bones, Joints & Muscles Support Group.

My new podiatrist took one look at my feet and asked if I have any Scottish or Scandinavian ancestry. I do, all over the place. He pointed out that my second toe is longer than my big toe, which is very common in people with northern European ancestry. He diagnosed onset Morton's neuroma caused by a lifetime of walking incorrectly. Because of the longer second toe, I do not roll onto the first/second metatarsal but instead pronate onto the second/third metatarsal. He thinks he caught it early; some inflammation but no nerve node/bundle (yet). He gave me a corticosteroid injection and prescribed a wide toe box shoe and orthotics that have a a cavity under the sore joint and a small "met pad" just behind the joint. So far so good.

You might also get a second opinion.
I have seen lots of women with a second longer toe, but have never
heard it was a "condition." Did you go to him because it hurt??

I was diagnoses with Morton's Neuroma many years ago. The podiatrist said the days of walking in my bare feet needed to stop. He recommended a pair of high quality insoles, not custom orthotics. I do go a little in my bare feet in the summer but pay for it. When I don't do what I am told, yes, the pain in my toes come back. All I do is wear my good sneakers or put my insoles in my slippers and stay off my feet a day or two and I am OK again. I haven't needed a cortisone shot or anything to take care of this.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.