How do I get rid of Morton's Neuroma?

Posted by smoen55 @smoen55, Jan 17, 2017

I have been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma in each foot between my 3rd and 4th metatarsal. How do I get rid of these?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bones, Joints & Muscles Support Group.

My new podiatrist took one look at my feet and asked if I have any Scottish or Scandinavian ancestry. I do, all over the place. He pointed out that my second toe is longer than my big toe, which is very common in people with northern European ancestry. He diagnosed onset Morton's neuroma caused by a lifetime of walking incorrectly. Because of the longer second toe, I do not roll onto the first/second metatarsal but instead pronate onto the second/third metatarsal. He thinks he caught it early; some inflammation but no nerve node/bundle (yet). He gave me a corticosteroid injection and prescribed a wide toe box shoe and orthotics that have a a cavity under the sore joint and a small "met pad" just behind the joint. So far so good.

You might also get a second opinion.
I have seen lots of women with a second longer toe, but have never
heard it was a "condition." Did you go to him because it hurt??

I was diagnoses with Morton's Neuroma many years ago. The podiatrist said the days of walking in my bare feet needed to stop. He recommended a pair of high quality insoles, not custom orthotics. I do go a little in my bare feet in the summer but pay for it. When I don't do what I am told, yes, the pain in my toes come back. All I do is wear my good sneakers or put my insoles in my slippers and stay off my feet a day or two and I am OK again. I haven't needed a cortisone shot or anything to take care of this.

@mslw

Wide toe box and “met pad” are working for me.

Jump to this post

What is a “met pad? I have been having pain on one foot near where my toes and ball of the foot meet. My primary do tor had an xray taken which didn’t show any fractures. My second toe was misshapen. She thought it might be a hammer toe. I just saw a podiatrist today who diagnosed neuromas in 3 spots. He said the treatment is a series of 2 steroid shots. I would bot be able to jog for a day or so. I decided i wanted to think about it before getting the shots. I asked about some type of pad. A number of years ago, i had pain on the ball of my left big toe and the doctor recommended a toe pad that he said ballet dancers use. I used that for about a year and have not had any problems since then . I would like to try to find something similar to use for my current problem.

@cheriums

It's associated with feet which over pronate. I had two in my left foot. Temporarily controlled by steroid injections. Then I saw a good podiatrist, someone who taught at the local college of podiatry. I needed shoes engineered for stability and inserts (orthotic insoles) which had a "met pad" which kept the bones of the forefoot separated. All can be found at a very good shoe store where the staff is trained to know what you need.

Jump to this post

I need recommendations on a pad i can try for foot neuromas

@walk4life

What is a “met pad? I have been having pain on one foot near where my toes and ball of the foot meet. My primary do tor had an xray taken which didn’t show any fractures. My second toe was misshapen. She thought it might be a hammer toe. I just saw a podiatrist today who diagnosed neuromas in 3 spots. He said the treatment is a series of 2 steroid shots. I would bot be able to jog for a day or so. I decided i wanted to think about it before getting the shots. I asked about some type of pad. A number of years ago, i had pain on the ball of my left big toe and the doctor recommended a toe pad that he said ballet dancers use. I used that for about a year and have not had any problems since then . I would like to try to find something similar to use for my current problem.

Jump to this post

Answering your question:
Metatarsal pads (met pads for short), provide pain relieving support to your metatarsal bones. Forefoot pain that can be addressed with met pads is primarily caused by, metatarsalgia, bursitis of the feet, rheumatoid arthritis, *neuromas * and plantar warts.
A “met pad” solved my neuroma problem, but I don’t remember which brand I bought. Try one or two available locally or online….best thing would be if your podiatrist gave you a few to try and showed you where to position them.

@mslw

Answering your question:
Metatarsal pads (met pads for short), provide pain relieving support to your metatarsal bones. Forefoot pain that can be addressed with met pads is primarily caused by, metatarsalgia, bursitis of the feet, rheumatoid arthritis, *neuromas * and plantar warts.
A “met pad” solved my neuroma problem, but I don’t remember which brand I bought. Try one or two available locally or online….best thing would be if your podiatrist gave you a few to try and showed you where to position them.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the information. This was my first time seeing this podiatrist and when i asked about pads, he was not helpful. What types of local stores would sell these?

@walk4life

Thanks for the information. This was my first time seeing this podiatrist and when i asked about pads, he was not helpful. What types of local stores would sell these?

Jump to this post

Most large store have a section with bunion pads and similar items. Amazon.com has a huge selection.

Many years ago (30?) I had mine surgically removed because the metatarsal pads were not working and the pain was extreme. It was about the size of a quarter

There’s a place called the feet store, something like that on line, that has many variety of met pad. I have a different problem now (fat pads in feet gone, migrated to stomach) so my podiatrist made my orthotics with the met pads in them. What a difference! When I don’t wear the orthotics I will put a met pad on my foot. Tons of options.
Good luck.

@willow5

Many years ago (30?) I had mine surgically removed because the metatarsal pads were not working and the pain was extreme. It was about the size of a quarter

There’s a place called the feet store, something like that on line, that has many variety of met pad. I have a different problem now (fat pads in feet gone, migrated to stomach) so my podiatrist made my orthotics with the met pads in them. What a difference! When I don’t wear the orthotics I will put a met pad on my foot. Tons of options.
Good luck.

Jump to this post

I had mine surgically removed and that solved the problem!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.