How do I get rid of Morton's Neuroma?

Posted by smoen55 @smoen55, Jan 17, 2017

I have been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma in each foot between my 3rd and 4th metatarsal. How do I get rid of these?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bones, Joints & Muscles Support Group.

@nazleer

Yes the tingling sensation is the only symptom I'm experiencing.

Jump to this post

Hmm, based on what I know about Morton's neuromas (after having them) and diabetic neuropathy (which my husband has)
I am going to guess that you should be thinking more about neuropathy than neuroma. Neuromas are little "knots" on the nerves, for lack of a better description. It often feels as though you are walking on a pebble. Mine were very painful, especially when walking in a hard soled shoe, walking barefoot, or walking any distance on a hard surface. The associated numbness was in between 2 toes. One of mine required surgical removal. The second, which I recognized much sooner, was resolved with a steroid injection to calm things down.
Your note that you often feel it while in bed coincides with what many people feel in early stages of diabetic neuropathy.
Also, have you noticed when it occurs - sometimes, it can be an indication that your blood sugar is poorly controlled, or for some reason higher than usual. It should not be ignored, because if it progresses it can lead to permanent numbness, and you may not know when there is a wound or sore on your foot, or if you have an infected toenail or other problem.
Perhaps you could talk to your doctor about getting a diagnosis?

Sue

I had bilateral Morton's neuromas in my feet which felt like walking on a rock in my shoe. After a series of five shots of alcohol didn't help and were very painful, the podiatrist did surgery through the top of my foot to reach the neuromas which were on the sole. The pain was relieved, the neuromas never came back and the only residual problem is that sometimes it feels like my sock is in a fold.

@sueinmn

Hmm, based on what I know about Morton's neuromas (after having them) and diabetic neuropathy (which my husband has)
I am going to guess that you should be thinking more about neuropathy than neuroma. Neuromas are little "knots" on the nerves, for lack of a better description. It often feels as though you are walking on a pebble. Mine were very painful, especially when walking in a hard soled shoe, walking barefoot, or walking any distance on a hard surface. The associated numbness was in between 2 toes. One of mine required surgical removal. The second, which I recognized much sooner, was resolved with a steroid injection to calm things down.
Your note that you often feel it while in bed coincides with what many people feel in early stages of diabetic neuropathy.
Also, have you noticed when it occurs - sometimes, it can be an indication that your blood sugar is poorly controlled, or for some reason higher than usual. It should not be ignored, because if it progresses it can lead to permanent numbness, and you may not know when there is a wound or sore on your foot, or if you have an infected toenail or other problem.
Perhaps you could talk to your doctor about getting a diagnosis?

Sue

Jump to this post

Thanks for responding. I'm discussing it with my doctor. She seems to think it is associated with diabetes.

It's associated with feet which over pronate. I had two in my left foot. Temporarily controlled by steroid injections. Then I saw a good podiatrist, someone who taught at the local college of podiatry. I needed shoes engineered for stability and inserts (orthotic insoles) which had a "met pad" which kept the bones of the forefoot separated. All can be found at a very good shoe store where the staff is trained to know what you need.

@ggopher

I had one in each foot also. First podiatrist tried several shots on one foot but it just kept growing. Then operated on that foot and it grew again. Second podiatrist said second surgery not practical as it would be from the bottom up etc. so for 6 years i have lived with custom-molded inserts. Not deal but not the biggest problem I have either. Current podiatrist is looking at a heated probe.

Jump to this post

@ggopher if you don't mind, could you tell me how your Morton's neuroma was diagnosed? Did your doctor do a biopsy after your surgery?

I thought I might have morton's neuroma a few years ago. The first podiatrist confirmed just by touching my feet and my symptoms. I managed by selecting right shoes. Went to a second podiatrist last year she did an xray and asked my symptoms in detail, she ruled out of morton's neuroma!

@mayblin

@ggopher if you don't mind, could you tell me how your Morton's neuroma was diagnosed? Did your doctor do a biopsy after your surgery?

I thought I might have morton's neuroma a few years ago. The first podiatrist confirmed just by touching my feet and my symptoms. I managed by selecting right shoes. Went to a second podiatrist last year she did an xray and asked my symptoms in detail, she ruled out of morton's neuroma!

Jump to this post

I Morton's neurons several years ago the doctor took X-Ray and I had the growth removed from a nerve on both my feet and haven't had a problem since . before I had the surgery my toes felt like they were on fire and I could barely walk . I hope this information has helped you .

@me75 thank you so much for your reply! Yes your info definitely helps!

My symptoms puzzled me for the past 4 years and the 2 podiatrists' assessments didn't agree with each other. The symptoms that you described sounded more like morton's neuroma, while mine dont appear to be afterall. The weird and very uncomfortable lumps that I feel are between 3rd and 4th toes on both feet, which is strange. I have to get hard to find shoes to be able to walk or exercise.

Best wishes

@mayblin

@me75 thank you so much for your reply! Yes your info definitely helps!

My symptoms puzzled me for the past 4 years and the 2 podiatrists' assessments didn't agree with each other. The symptoms that you described sounded more like morton's neuroma, while mine dont appear to be afterall. The weird and very uncomfortable lumps that I feel are between 3rd and 4th toes on both feet, which is strange. I have to get hard to find shoes to be able to walk or exercise.

Best wishes

Jump to this post

The doctor felt of my feet and did X-rays and I told him how they burned and stung , he did not do a biopsy . I did know that the incision was on top of the foot close to my toes between the second and third toes. My toes would burn so bad it would make me cry . Hope you find out soon what it is .

I get a steroid shot in mine once a year and pain is gone for a year. I no longer wear pointed toe or tight shoes.

Wide toe box and “met pad” are working for me.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.