Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome (MALS)

Posted by Kari Ulrich, Alumna Mentor @kariulrich, Dec 26, 2016

I am looking for other patients that have been diagnosed with Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome. Although it is caused by compression of the celiac artery many people experience abdominal pain after eating, diarrhea, food avoidance. Usually the first doctors they see are GI doctors. It is a diagnosis that is made after everything else is ruled out. I am curious if anyone else has had surgery?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

@bfort

After having a robotic lap surgery to release the Median Arcuate Ligament and nerves, I had reached out to Dr Hsu, a very well known surgeon in Connecticut. He wanted a CPB. I had 2 that failed and he would see me or consider surgery.
I reached out to Dr Park from University Hospital in Ohio. He also wanted another Block but wanted it done another way, and by someone he knew at Cleveland Clinic. I saw Dr Abrahams and it worked.. Don't give up. You need to find the right qualified doctors and sometimes that may mean you need to travel to get help. I traveled from Florida. Reach out to the MALS Foundation and MALS Pals on Facebook. You won't find a better place for resources. Good Luck and Stay Positive.

Jump to this post

Oh wow! How was the plexus block different? And how did you find that doctor you went to see?

@josiemals

Thanks for your kind words. I started with gastro. I've had every tests there is, colonoscopy, Endo, Barium swallow, and others. I've been told I have IBS-C, which I believe I do so I follow the low fodmap diet and it helps. Another gastro told me it was constipation causing my stomach pain and weight loss. The third gastro told me it was Eosinophilic gastroenteritis. It was the Mayo clinic Gastro that was concerned about the extreme weight loss and ordered the CT Angio and U/S, then referred me to the vascular surgeon. I was praying that this would work. When they were doing the ultrasound, that's right where the pain was, right where that celiac artery would be. It has to still be the cause of my weight loss and pain. I just need a fix!! I have my post op appointment Friday. Hopefully there will be something good to come from all of this that can help. I'm surprised they didn't send you to gastro first. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of your health issues and help you ♥️

Jump to this post

I think so too. The Mals causes so much pain and definitely weight loss as well. You will find healing. Just need the right Dr sometimes or right test. I went for many tests through gi. Many! But I haven’t had a endoscopy with biopsies in two years. So a friend of mine who’s a nurse practitioner says I need the endoscopy. Because the biopsies can answer and diagnose many things. I pray you too get the answer and healing you deserve. Keep in touch. Let me know how it’s going. Hang in there MAlS warrior!

@josiemals

Oh wow! How was the plexus block different? And how did you find that doctor you went to see?

Jump to this post

I went to Dr Benjamin Abrahams, an anesthesiologist at the Cleveland Clinic..Dr Park had worked with him when he worked there last year.
Dr Abrahams had reviewed all my tests (CTA, Ultrasounds and the actual CPB)done by my doctor from Florida.
He said my vertebrae was curved therefore they wouldn't be able to place the medication where it needed go, hence it didn't work. He went directly thru the Aorta which he said is very safe and it worked. I had 2 failed CPB until Dr Abrahams did one that worked allowing me to have surgery. I have to tell you that I had no sedation or drugs other than what the doctor needed to numb the nerves. It really wasn't bad at all. It also allowed me to drive immediately without being drugged.

If you haven't been out to MALS Pals on Facebook, you're really missing out. There's a wealth of information out there from people who are experiencing and sharing their journey. You can post under anonymous if you prefer.

@graceym1

I think so too. The Mals causes so much pain and definitely weight loss as well. You will find healing. Just need the right Dr sometimes or right test. I went for many tests through gi. Many! But I haven’t had a endoscopy with biopsies in two years. So a friend of mine who’s a nurse practitioner says I need the endoscopy. Because the biopsies can answer and diagnose many things. I pray you too get the answer and healing you deserve. Keep in touch. Let me know how it’s going. Hang in there MAlS warrior!

Jump to this post

I sure will ❤️

@bfort

I went to Dr Benjamin Abrahams, an anesthesiologist at the Cleveland Clinic..Dr Park had worked with him when he worked there last year.
Dr Abrahams had reviewed all my tests (CTA, Ultrasounds and the actual CPB)done by my doctor from Florida.
He said my vertebrae was curved therefore they wouldn't be able to place the medication where it needed go, hence it didn't work. He went directly thru the Aorta which he said is very safe and it worked. I had 2 failed CPB until Dr Abrahams did one that worked allowing me to have surgery. I have to tell you that I had no sedation or drugs other than what the doctor needed to numb the nerves. It really wasn't bad at all. It also allowed me to drive immediately without being drugged.

If you haven't been out to MALS Pals on Facebook, you're really missing out. There's a wealth of information out there from people who are experiencing and sharing their journey. You can post under anonymous if you prefer.

Jump to this post

Oh thank you so much for this information.. This makes sense with what happened during my pnb. My entire left side from my hip to toes went numb and my autonomic system dysfunction, BP never got above 90/50 the entire time. I have back issues and see a chiropractor on a regular basis. I'll see what the vascular surgeon says on Friday and go from there.

@bfort

Jump to this post

I just joined the FB MALS Pals ❤️

@josiemals

I just joined the FB MALS Pals ❤️

Jump to this post

See you there. ❤️

Please sign in or register to post a reply.