Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome (MALS)

Posted by Kari Ulrich, Alumna Mentor @kariulrich, Dec 26, 2016

I am looking for other patients that have been diagnosed with Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome. Although it is caused by compression of the celiac artery many people experience abdominal pain after eating, diarrhea, food avoidance. Usually the first doctors they see are GI doctors. It is a diagnosis that is made after everything else is ruled out. I am curious if anyone else has had surgery?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

@hollyreeves

I’m glad you are recovering! Which type of Doctor at Mayo diagnosed you? Did you then see a surgeon ? I’m at Mayo now trying to get answers but the GI Department is booked through August.

Jump to this post

Honestly, no one at Mayo acknowledges Mals. There are several Mals doctors around the country that are very experienced and knowledgeable about Mals. It’s very complicated and you need a doctor that has lots of experience, not just 70% success rate. There are multiple concerns that need to be addressed.

@hollyreeves

I’m glad you are recovering! Which type of Doctor at Mayo diagnosed you? Did you then see a surgeon ? I’m at Mayo now trying to get answers but the GI Department is booked through August.

Jump to this post

@hollyreeves
A gastroenterologist ordered test that eventually led to the MALS diagnosis.
I had surgery at another University hospital.

@astaingegerdm

@hollyreeves
A gastroenterologist ordered test that eventually led to the MALS diagnosis.
I had surgery at another University hospital.

Jump to this post

How’d your surgery go? Also did you have pressure in your chest a lot? Thankyou!

@graceym1

How’d your surgery go? Also did you have pressure in your chest a lot? Thankyou!

Jump to this post

Surgery went well. I had discomfort in the chest afterwards but Gabapentin helped.

Glad it went well!!! Wonderful to hear. 😊. Thankyou for response. Did you have the surgery that you have to have your stomach cut open? That’s the one my vascular surgeon will perform on me.

I had laparoscopy, but the surgeons warned me that they may have to do open surgery if it was needed.

Yes I’ve heard that a lot. Do you know how much compression you had on your celiac artery? Mines 60 percent.
Thanks
Grace

I don’t know the percentage, but there was a Knick in the artery that didn’t leave much room for blood flow. They eventually placed a stent because the Knick remained. The pressure on the stent continued and I got a new one 7 years later. All fine now.

I’m so happy for you! That’s excellent news!😊🎈 stay well. Have a great day

Hi ladies, I've been reading your post. I recently also have been diagnosed with MALS after seeing the fourth gastro doctor at the Mayo clinic. I've lost over 50 lb. My symptoms are not the classic ones though. I have pain most all of the time. Eating food or not eating food doesn't seem to affect the way I feel. I was just at the Mayo clinic this week to see the vascular surgeon for additional testing which was mesenteric artery angiogram and a plexus nerve block. It did not go well for me. I didn't think the communication with the surgeon was good. During the angiogram I had a moment of intense pain when he said he was injecting the contrast. I said something about feeling hot, but he said you have to differentiate between temperature and pain then he walked away. He didn't give me the opportunity to explain. It felt like a burn. Sometimes my pain feels like a burn, sometimes like a knife or twisting. The next day I had the nerve block which I had some side effects from. My BP was super low so they kept me for an extra four hours. I was laying down or reclined the entire time. I find when I'm in this position, I feel better. I thought my pain was gone. I just felt some pressure in my stomach area. When I was finally released and we were starting our trip back home, the pain came flooding back!! I cried. I sent a message right away to the vascular surgeon but was told I would have to discuss it at my post op appointment next week. This pain is intense and I don't know what to do... I need help now. I'm hoping someone can recommend something or has had symptoms like me. I never been given any kind of meds for pain. It just keeps getting worse 😭

Please sign in or register to post a reply.