Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@fred101

I am an 80 year old Vietnam Veteran and way past the 70,000 mile warranty. I have tried everything I come across on the Internet and all have the same pitch to me- all find some type of exotic plan or herb that will surely cure people like me with severe PN and it now appears my blood sugar is way up- so things are not looking good for me. I try exercise but that only seems to inflame the nerves and muscles.
I have tried Nerve Savior and it does not work at all- only makes things worse if you can believe that and they don't respond to communications for refunds. At my age I believe one just has to count their blessings as I do each and every day and endure to horrific pain as I am totally allergic to opiates and most drugs like Gabapentin, Pregabalin, and Flexitine. Amazing 3000 years of Chinese Medicine and no one has found help with pain control for PN. Hang in there and Semper Fi.

Jump to this post

Welcome Home, sir. I will NEVER forget.

Have you ever noticed that there are certain motions/activities which wildly exasperate your neuropathy, activities or motions which you wouldn't necessarily think would do so? I found one of them today. Mowing the lawn. I went through the whole week teaching, working out, on my feet much of the day (yes, the pain was always there on some level), but never got one of those astronomical pain spikes.

So I go out to mow the lawn this morning (not a big lawn) with a stand up self driving mower. About three quarters of the way through the back lawn and an astronomical pain spike sets in. I stubbornly finish the back lawn, but soon was brought to my knees. I had to take an hour off to bring the pain down enough to finish the small front yard, and the pain spike took off again. I finished...but JFC!

There was just some certain motion in the activity which set it off. There are other motions/activities I do which seem like they would set if off more than this one. Go figure.

So now it looks like I'm going to have to pay some kid to do our lawn now, and save myself from other tasks.

I have (apparently) chemo induced peripheral neuropathy. Cold fingers with some pain and 90% numb from calves down with no pain but my balance continues to deteriorate. The balance part started about 9 years ago but this last year it’s really gotten bad. I was walking for exercise using trekking poles but now am too afraid of falling. Use cane for just getting around. Wondering if there’s any research on this and possible answers. I’m 73 and chemo/radiation was 12 years ago.

@frcraig1

I have (apparently) chemo induced peripheral neuropathy. Cold fingers with some pain and 90% numb from calves down with no pain but my balance continues to deteriorate. The balance part started about 9 years ago but this last year it’s really gotten bad. I was walking for exercise using trekking poles but now am too afraid of falling. Use cane for just getting around. Wondering if there’s any research on this and possible answers. I’m 73 and chemo/radiation was 12 years ago.

Jump to this post

Welcome @frcraig1, Many of us with neuropathy also battle with balance problems. I do like trekking poles for walking any distance outdoors but don't use them often. Finding a good pair of shoes that feel good while not being too cushy has helped me some with the balance but I have learned to shuffle more when it's a little slippery outside. Physical therapy has also provided some good balance exercises that help some. There are other discussions that you might find helpful:

--- Can neuropathy in my feet cause balance problems?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/can-neuropathy-in-my-feet-cause-balance-problems/
--- Anyone try Tai Chi to help with neuropathy and balance?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/anyona-try-tai-chi/
--- Chemotherapy-induced neuropathy: What helps get rid of it?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/chemotherapy-induced-neuropathy/

Have you looked into any physical therapy or exercises to help with your balance?

Hi Colleen, Bcool123 here. I have followed connect for a couple of years now and really appreciate everybody’s input. I saw an ad for something called “neuro socks” … A copper infused compression sock and I wonder if anyone at Connect has heard of or tried them. I’ve ordered other things from ads and just ended up trashing them or sending them back so I didn’t order these socks. Haven’t tried any compression socks at all because tight things on my feet make my toes so cold. So instead of ordering them, I’m asking you all. They look to be about ankle high and open toes. … oh, for a solution for our neuropathy…
Appreciate input from anyone. I think it’s finally spring in Colorado! Bcool123

@bcool123

Hi Colleen, Bcool123 here. I have followed connect for a couple of years now and really appreciate everybody’s input. I saw an ad for something called “neuro socks” … A copper infused compression sock and I wonder if anyone at Connect has heard of or tried them. I’ve ordered other things from ads and just ended up trashing them or sending them back so I didn’t order these socks. Haven’t tried any compression socks at all because tight things on my feet make my toes so cold. So instead of ordering them, I’m asking you all. They look to be about ankle high and open toes. … oh, for a solution for our neuropathy…
Appreciate input from anyone. I think it’s finally spring in Colorado! Bcool123

Jump to this post

Compression socks …..tried them for month
Not for me! Did not help

@sheriff1898

Not for me! Did not help

Jump to this post

Welcome @sheriff1898, I haven't tried the neuro socks that @bcool123 mentioned but I do wear knee high compression socks for lymphedema in my legs but they don't help my neuropathy symptoms. At the end of the day, it does feel good to take them off. They definitely help with the swelling in my legs during the day though.

Have you been diagnosed with neuropathy?

@frcraig1

Jump to this post

I have successfully with using Red Light Therapy by Novaalab FDA aproved I bought ON INTERNET directly from them $224 it worked FANTASTIC an my Legss an Feet have been great for 2.months.

@johnbishop

Welcome @sheriff1898, I haven't tried the neuro socks that @bcool123 mentioned but I do wear knee high compression socks for lymphedema in my legs but they don't help my neuropathy symptoms. At the end of the day, it does feel good to take them off. They definitely help with the swelling in my legs during the day though.

Have you been diagnosed with neuropathy?

Jump to this post

Thank you

@sheriff1898

Not for me! Did not help

Jump to this post

Thank you, Bcool123

Please sign in or register to post a reply.