Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

Started getting pins and needles about a year ago out of no where.. my night started with 3 brain zaps, went to the ER all brain and heart testing was normal. After leaving I started getting the pins and needle pricks currently seeing a neurologist and they just cant seem to figure out the cause 🙁

I had a broken ankle which resulted in surgery with pins and plates. After 20 months I saw surgeon and complained that my foot still did not feel normal. He sent me for nerve testing which came back as neuropathy. He told me to have B12 injections. My new PCP did blood work and said I didn't need it and there isn't much to be done for me. I was going through a sleep study and found I have Restless Leg Syndrome. Was prescribed gabapentin. This has helped with RLS and sleep and the sensations in my foot.

@dettal

I had a broken ankle which resulted in surgery with pins and plates. After 20 months I saw surgeon and complained that my foot still did not feel normal. He sent me for nerve testing which came back as neuropathy. He told me to have B12 injections. My new PCP did blood work and said I didn't need it and there isn't much to be done for me. I was going through a sleep study and found I have Restless Leg Syndrome. Was prescribed gabapentin. This has helped with RLS and sleep and the sensations in my foot.

Jump to this post

Hi @dettal, Welcome to Connect. It sounds like the gabapentin gave you back some quality of life with the neuropathy symptoms when it was prescribed for the Restless Leg Syndrome. Were your symptoms only in the foot that had the surgery?

@johnbishop

Hi @dettal, Welcome to Connect. It sounds like the gabapentin gave you back some quality of life with the neuropathy symptoms when it was prescribed for the Restless Leg Syndrome. Were your symptoms only in the foot that had the surgery?

Jump to this post

Pretty much for now. Foot/ankle and lower leg sometimes.

Question on compression socks. What is a good brand to wear?

@dettal

Jump to this post

you are fortunate that gabapentin works for you. It did not for me.

@taytamar

Started getting pins and needles about a year ago out of no where.. my night started with 3 brain zaps, went to the ER all brain and heart testing was normal. After leaving I started getting the pins and needle pricks currently seeing a neurologist and they just cant seem to figure out the cause 🙁

Jump to this post

I'm assuming that you have gotten an EMG and MRI and and imaging to see if you have a nerve damage in your back I have a couple discs that are missing in my lower back I have degenerative disc and sciatica I think that adds to my diabetic neuropathy I have type 2 diabetes I might take gabapentin I am praying and changing my diet and I've got my A1C from 6.4 down to 6.1 and my cholesterol is better I'm eating berries blueberries mixed berries avocados spinach occasionally broccoli I'd like to eat more salmon I try to eat a low fat cottage cheese and yogurt and just making tweaks like this my cholesterol is getting better my triglycerides are getting better I drink a lot more water I don't drink pop anymore I am battling with coffee the caffeine is not good for nerves I was told this by American diabetic Association I was told this by Calgary neuropathy Association and so I am really battling to cut back on coffee and also chocolate which has caffeine in it and the sugar is not good for my diabetes either but just I trust in the Lord and I keep praying I ask other Christians at church to pray at different churches and a lot of Christian friends that I have I asked them to pray I am making progress It's it's slow I was misdiagnosed for 4 years with depression and the Lord sent a doctor to me that gave me the right medication for anxiety and it helped me to be able to start driving the car and to be able to quit rocking when I was sitting and I was able to sleep at night without sleepwalking and also I am able to watch movies and read concentrate better and I just thank God he's my savior he died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead he's the great physician

I found that product reviews on Amazon are helpful and accurate. Pay attention to the compression level (15-20 mm, 30-40mm).

@taytamar

Jump to this post

Hello @taytamar and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I wanted to bring you into the main discussion on Neuropathy where you will be able to meet and read about others and their experiences, as well as connect with them. You will notice I have moved your post here:
- Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/living-with-neuropathy-welcome-to-the-group/

I see that @cgs has joined you to ask if you have looked into an potential nerve damage in your back, so will let you respond.

Is there any coincidence with removing a medication like an antidepressant shortly before you experienced the brain zap?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.