Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

Hi Johnmacc,
Are you able to function on that dose of gabapentin?
Drive, shop etc.
Thanks for answering.
Shara

@glokart1957

I quit Gabapentin because of “weird” issues but had to go back on it because the pain was getting too bad again. But now I am having ringing/static in my ears. Anyone else have this side effect from Gabapentin?

Jump to this post

Have been on gabapentin for several years and within two months of starting it , I, too, developed a constant case of tinnitus.

@deb1972

Have been on gabapentin for several years and within two months of starting it , I, too, developed a constant case of tinnitus.

Jump to this post

Good evening @deb1972, I just ran back on my calendar and realized that I, too, may have developed Tinnitus from a medication. No one mentioned that it could be Gabapentin. I was just happy that one of the benefits of wearing hearing aids is that my Tinnitus is significantly reduced. Thanks.
Chris

I have a pretty severe case of neuropathy starting at my feet and continuing up to my hips. You know how you can hold an ice cube in your hand until it's so cold that it 'burns ' ? You can just drop it. I can't. The whole lower half of my body feels like it's encased in solid ice. I'm telling you it burns like someone is using a blowtorch on my legs. I wake up screaming for my husband. Does anyone else face this horrible mess but me ?

@deb1972

I have a pretty severe case of neuropathy starting at my feet and continuing up to my hips. You know how you can hold an ice cube in your hand until it's so cold that it 'burns ' ? You can just drop it. I can't. The whole lower half of my body feels like it's encased in solid ice. I'm telling you it burns like someone is using a blowtorch on my legs. I wake up screaming for my husband. Does anyone else face this horrible mess but me ?

Jump to this post

Good evening @deb1972. Hello again. I think you have described the feeling that I get in my feet and lower legs. I call it "liquid ice". Unfortunately, sometimes when my MFR therapist works on my feet, she says they are not as cold on the outside as they appear to be for me on the inside.

Do you wear socks at night or use a heating blanket?
May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering?
Chris

@shara

Hello,
I have peripheral neuropathy. The doctor who diagnosed this had no explanation for why. She simply said it was pn and progressive. Start with low dose of gabapentin.
I feel that there has to be a reason and have considered trying to go to Mayo Clinic.
I also have high B/P and take lisinopril and spironolact.
A research dr. In Stanford has written a article as to possible causes and mentions the above.
It is getting worse and trying to find a cause gives me hope.
Thank you for this blog,
Shara

Jump to this post

I too have Peripheral Neuropathy, it’s been about 6 years or so since it started. I believe the cause is from either damage to my feet from standing on my feet for 10 hours straight/5 days a week at work or when I was getting burning itchy welts all over my body-my only relief was to scratch my feet on the concrete steps at the front of the house. My pain has gotten gradually worse over the years and I’ve tried EVERYTHING- Lyrica, Gabapentin, T1s, Vitamin B12, CBD/THC, magnesium, custom orthotics, compression socks, hot/cold foot baths, stretching, massage therapy. Nothing works! My pain has gotten so bad that I’ve had to call off work the last 2 days because it’s so painful to walk. I am using a walker just to take some of the pressure off my feet. I too have high blood pressure and am on meds for that and my thyroid. Yup I am a mess!! Sorry I’m not much help here but I am commenting to let you know you’re not alone and to follow your feed to learn more and talk to others going thru the same thing.
Best of luck,
Kristin

@artscaping

Good evening @deb1972, I just ran back on my calendar and realized that I, too, may have developed Tinnitus from a medication. No one mentioned that it could be Gabapentin. I was just happy that one of the benefits of wearing hearing aids is that my Tinnitus is significantly reduced. Thanks.
Chris

Jump to this post

I see you have Tinnitus in your ears, my exhusband had that from being a mechanic for 30 years. He took Biaxin when he got Pneumonia and lost his hearing completely. I don’t want that to happen to anyone else so please don’t take Biaxin if it’s prescribed to you, ask for an alternative. We had no idea that if you have Tinnitus and take Biaxin, it can cause permanent hearing loss.

@artscaping

Good evening @deb1972. Hello again. I think you have described the feeling that I get in my feet and lower legs. I call it "liquid ice". Unfortunately, sometimes when my MFR therapist works on my feet, she says they are not as cold on the outside as they appear to be for me on the inside.

Do you wear socks at night or use a heating blanket?
May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering?
Chris

Jump to this post

Hi, Chris. Yes, I wear socks all the time. They only come off for changing into clean ones after my bath. I can't bear to be without them. I stay under a heating blanket all the time, too. Just feel like I am frozen solid from the waist down. My feet and legs don't feel cold to the touch either. Question- do you feel like you are walking inches above the floor?

@kristin8

I too have Peripheral Neuropathy, it’s been about 6 years or so since it started. I believe the cause is from either damage to my feet from standing on my feet for 10 hours straight/5 days a week at work or when I was getting burning itchy welts all over my body-my only relief was to scratch my feet on the concrete steps at the front of the house. My pain has gotten gradually worse over the years and I’ve tried EVERYTHING- Lyrica, Gabapentin, T1s, Vitamin B12, CBD/THC, magnesium, custom orthotics, compression socks, hot/cold foot baths, stretching, massage therapy. Nothing works! My pain has gotten so bad that I’ve had to call off work the last 2 days because it’s so painful to walk. I am using a walker just to take some of the pressure off my feet. I too have high blood pressure and am on meds for that and my thyroid. Yup I am a mess!! Sorry I’m not much help here but I am commenting to let you know you’re not alone and to follow your feed to learn more and talk to others going thru the same thing.
Best of luck,
Kristin

Jump to this post

Kristin, are you taking anything now to help give you some relief?
Gabapentin helps me get through the night. During the day I’m using a cream called Naturulz ultimate healing cream on legs. Amazon has it. It’s a world of hurt isn’t it. So sorry!

Yes I listened everything I’m taking in my last comment including Gabapentin. Haven’t tried the cream, will have to look into that.
Thanks

Please sign in or register to post a reply.