Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@parrotqueen

There are many many people taking 150 mg of boron daily for osteoporosis. My osteoporosis is extremely serious (severe is -2.5 and my DEXA score was -5.7 - alarming). You know Ruth Bader Ginsburg ate a bag of prunes daily for her osteoporosis - but you can't get enough from prunes. I'm not willing to take a lot over the recommended upper limit, but truth be told, they do not really know much about boron and limits. It IS known that a lack of boron will cause osteoporosis. I am not worried about how much I am taking. Over 20 mg a day is when there are changes (increases) in the amount of estrogen in your body. I am not worried about estrogen. I couldn't believe it when all my arthritis symptoms disappeared when I took boron! But if you miss even one dose, it comes. back. While it may cure (or significantly help) osteoporosis, it is not a cure for arthritis. It does get rid of all the pain while you are taking it.

Yes monk fruit IS considered sugar. I do not eat any fruit except a few berries a day (6 or fewer). I do not eat vegetables high in sugar such as root vegetables, beans, peas, etc. It is VERY hard to avoid sugar - it is in everything - and there are over 187 names for it - so they sneak it into everything. Pick up a box of Morton's salt and look at the ingredients. Salt and dextrose - dextrose is sugar. They are adding sugar to milk these days and milk already has sugar in it. I have to be very very careful. One surprising source of a ton of sugar are condiments and rubs - look at your ketchup bottle! The only sweeteners I am allowed are Xylitol and Stevia. And those only a little at a time. I make a great chocolate pudding - you won't believe this - out of avocados! I use unsweetened chocolate powder. It tastes like chocolate mousse! The best way to go off sugar is cold turkey - all at once. Having that book The Candida Cure would be a real help because she outlines everything you need to know. The author, Ann Boroch, had MS and was in a wheelchair for 24 years. She cured herself. She knew she had candida overgrowth. She became a nutritionist and then became a naturopathic doctor. My stomach and esophagus were killing me for over three years. The pain was unbearable but the doctor I had at the time would never tell me what was going on. She was testing me for dementia - I was such a mess. I felt dizzy all the time, brain fog, couldn't stand to smell cigarettes or perfume, there were so many bad symptoms. But the pain in my gut - and I was having chest pains that were legion - so bad I had to pull over on the freeway a couple of times. That turned out to be candida overgrowth in may esophagaus - causing it to cramp up - which feels like a heart attack. I decided to kill myself - hand a handful of pills to do the deed. At the last minute, I decided to take one sleeping pill and see how I felt when I woke up. When I awoke, I KNEW it was candida overgrowth. A friend suggested that book - I downloaded it to my Kindle and headed to the grocery store to buy compliant foods. I cleaned out all my cupboards and refrigerator, and took all the food to a neighbor that had just had hip replacement and didn't bother to buy any food. That was April 2, 2015 - more than 5-½ years ago. Now, though I will be 70 at the end of December, I feel like I am in my 20s all the time! It is amazing what going off sugar has done for me. I sleep like a baby now. I am usually sharp as a tack (I had to take medication for migraine today - it's a long story - and is tied to Mitral Valve Prolapse getting worse - at any rate - the meds have me loopy as I usually don't take this stuff). I had metaplasia cells in my stomach - those are pre-cancerous. I also had polyps in my colon all the time. Those and the metaplasia cells are gone. When I went to the dental college, they made everybody stop what they were doing and come and look at my "perfect and healthy" mouth!! I even got rid of my toenail fungus. I have energy all the time. It is truly amazing. I didn't realize how much sugar I was getting. It is in a lot of medicine too. I get IVIG every two weeks, and I had to find an IVIG product that didn't have sugar! But if you think you will get off sugar gradually, you will keep craving it. The craving fir sugar usually stops in 14 days - if you just go off some sugar, you will continue to crave it on a daily basis. All baked goods have to go - unless you find something that has no wheat, sugar, etc. I have candida overgrowth because I must take steroids daily for adrenal insufficiency (I have hypopituitarism because of a pituitary tumor - it cannot be completely removed because it is on the optic nerve... so I have to take cortisol or I will go into a coma. Steroids, antibiotics, hormones and stress and some of the common causes of candida overgrowth. Basically, those drugs kill off all the bacteria in your body, and when that happens in your gut, the candida can overgrow when the good bacteria that usually lives in your gut is wiped out. We all have candida in our bodies, The key is to keep it in balance so it does not overgrow and become a problem. If you don't deal with candida overgrowth, it causes problems like MS, myasthenia gravis, erectile dysfunction, cancer, ALS, all sorts of things. Nothing good.

As for supplements and what they do - I have given this website out on Mayo Connect and they allowed it - check out http://www..consumerlab.com. It is a nonprofit group for consumers - it is a consumer watchdog group for supplements. They test supplements to be sure they are what they say they are, they have as many mg. as they claim, they do not have any impurities, they open up in the body (many of these things go right through your body without opening up). Additionally, they post hundreds if not thousands of peer-reviewed articles and the like so you can search and read all about whatever it is you are thinking of taking. There isn't much about boron there - boron is relatively obscure and little-understood. People have known it cures osteoporosis and treats arthritis and fibromyalgia for a long time, but where's the money in that? Also, many doctors do not know anything about nutrition. They know as much as the man on the corner, The more you learn, the better you can heal yourself. Food is medicine. I have had remarkable luck in pulling my body back from the brink of death into being relatively healthy (for me). I read about nutrition all the time. I'm reading Ph.D.-level nutrition books now! I find it fascinating. My doctors are in awe of me now,. They always tell me how proud of me they are. And one more thing: You get unbelievable respect from doctors when you tell them you don't eat sugar in any form. Sugar causes inflammation and it feeds candida, cancer, and lots of other terrible things. Inflammation leads to disease, So stopping inflammation is a very good idea. Your body will be so grateful. What about all my friends and family who initially thought the diet wouldn't last and I was crazy? They are all trying the diet now too! They can't believe their eyes when they see how healthy I've become. They thought for sure I was dying. So if you are having pain associated with fibromyalgia, arthritis, osteoporosis (which includes men), or if you are having ANY pain, I suggest try going off sugar. Just know you are going to be cranky for a couple of weeks - allow yourself extra time for everything and try to reduce your workload - and just go off the stuff. You will feel a little rough for about two weeks, then you will start feeling better. I highly recommend that book - The Candida Cure by Ann Boroch. If you don't have candida but think you'd like to go off sugar - she has a great guide for doing that and tells you everything to avoid. I did not do any of the organ cleanses she suggests - I think cleanses are too hard on the body. There are good recipes in the book and she has a cookbook with very good recipes in it. And if you are on Facebook, I can help anybody that wants to go off sugar by giving you membership in a private group for people doing the Ann Boroch diet. We have a library with recipes galore.

Jump to this post

@parrotqueen thank you for all the time you put into sharing this information- it is wonderful! Birthday cake with buttercream frosting only is my all time favorite food group. This would be a huge challenge for me but I will definitely give it much thought.

@parrotqueen

There are many many people taking 150 mg of boron daily for osteoporosis. My osteoporosis is extremely serious (severe is -2.5 and my DEXA score was -5.7 - alarming). You know Ruth Bader Ginsburg ate a bag of prunes daily for her osteoporosis - but you can't get enough from prunes. I'm not willing to take a lot over the recommended upper limit, but truth be told, they do not really know much about boron and limits. It IS known that a lack of boron will cause osteoporosis. I am not worried about how much I am taking. Over 20 mg a day is when there are changes (increases) in the amount of estrogen in your body. I am not worried about estrogen. I couldn't believe it when all my arthritis symptoms disappeared when I took boron! But if you miss even one dose, it comes. back. While it may cure (or significantly help) osteoporosis, it is not a cure for arthritis. It does get rid of all the pain while you are taking it.

Yes monk fruit IS considered sugar. I do not eat any fruit except a few berries a day (6 or fewer). I do not eat vegetables high in sugar such as root vegetables, beans, peas, etc. It is VERY hard to avoid sugar - it is in everything - and there are over 187 names for it - so they sneak it into everything. Pick up a box of Morton's salt and look at the ingredients. Salt and dextrose - dextrose is sugar. They are adding sugar to milk these days and milk already has sugar in it. I have to be very very careful. One surprising source of a ton of sugar are condiments and rubs - look at your ketchup bottle! The only sweeteners I am allowed are Xylitol and Stevia. And those only a little at a time. I make a great chocolate pudding - you won't believe this - out of avocados! I use unsweetened chocolate powder. It tastes like chocolate mousse! The best way to go off sugar is cold turkey - all at once. Having that book The Candida Cure would be a real help because she outlines everything you need to know. The author, Ann Boroch, had MS and was in a wheelchair for 24 years. She cured herself. She knew she had candida overgrowth. She became a nutritionist and then became a naturopathic doctor. My stomach and esophagus were killing me for over three years. The pain was unbearable but the doctor I had at the time would never tell me what was going on. She was testing me for dementia - I was such a mess. I felt dizzy all the time, brain fog, couldn't stand to smell cigarettes or perfume, there were so many bad symptoms. But the pain in my gut - and I was having chest pains that were legion - so bad I had to pull over on the freeway a couple of times. That turned out to be candida overgrowth in may esophagaus - causing it to cramp up - which feels like a heart attack. I decided to kill myself - hand a handful of pills to do the deed. At the last minute, I decided to take one sleeping pill and see how I felt when I woke up. When I awoke, I KNEW it was candida overgrowth. A friend suggested that book - I downloaded it to my Kindle and headed to the grocery store to buy compliant foods. I cleaned out all my cupboards and refrigerator, and took all the food to a neighbor that had just had hip replacement and didn't bother to buy any food. That was April 2, 2015 - more than 5-½ years ago. Now, though I will be 70 at the end of December, I feel like I am in my 20s all the time! It is amazing what going off sugar has done for me. I sleep like a baby now. I am usually sharp as a tack (I had to take medication for migraine today - it's a long story - and is tied to Mitral Valve Prolapse getting worse - at any rate - the meds have me loopy as I usually don't take this stuff). I had metaplasia cells in my stomach - those are pre-cancerous. I also had polyps in my colon all the time. Those and the metaplasia cells are gone. When I went to the dental college, they made everybody stop what they were doing and come and look at my "perfect and healthy" mouth!! I even got rid of my toenail fungus. I have energy all the time. It is truly amazing. I didn't realize how much sugar I was getting. It is in a lot of medicine too. I get IVIG every two weeks, and I had to find an IVIG product that didn't have sugar! But if you think you will get off sugar gradually, you will keep craving it. The craving fir sugar usually stops in 14 days - if you just go off some sugar, you will continue to crave it on a daily basis. All baked goods have to go - unless you find something that has no wheat, sugar, etc. I have candida overgrowth because I must take steroids daily for adrenal insufficiency (I have hypopituitarism because of a pituitary tumor - it cannot be completely removed because it is on the optic nerve... so I have to take cortisol or I will go into a coma. Steroids, antibiotics, hormones and stress and some of the common causes of candida overgrowth. Basically, those drugs kill off all the bacteria in your body, and when that happens in your gut, the candida can overgrow when the good bacteria that usually lives in your gut is wiped out. We all have candida in our bodies, The key is to keep it in balance so it does not overgrow and become a problem. If you don't deal with candida overgrowth, it causes problems like MS, myasthenia gravis, erectile dysfunction, cancer, ALS, all sorts of things. Nothing good.

As for supplements and what they do - I have given this website out on Mayo Connect and they allowed it - check out http://www..consumerlab.com. It is a nonprofit group for consumers - it is a consumer watchdog group for supplements. They test supplements to be sure they are what they say they are, they have as many mg. as they claim, they do not have any impurities, they open up in the body (many of these things go right through your body without opening up). Additionally, they post hundreds if not thousands of peer-reviewed articles and the like so you can search and read all about whatever it is you are thinking of taking. There isn't much about boron there - boron is relatively obscure and little-understood. People have known it cures osteoporosis and treats arthritis and fibromyalgia for a long time, but where's the money in that? Also, many doctors do not know anything about nutrition. They know as much as the man on the corner, The more you learn, the better you can heal yourself. Food is medicine. I have had remarkable luck in pulling my body back from the brink of death into being relatively healthy (for me). I read about nutrition all the time. I'm reading Ph.D.-level nutrition books now! I find it fascinating. My doctors are in awe of me now,. They always tell me how proud of me they are. And one more thing: You get unbelievable respect from doctors when you tell them you don't eat sugar in any form. Sugar causes inflammation and it feeds candida, cancer, and lots of other terrible things. Inflammation leads to disease, So stopping inflammation is a very good idea. Your body will be so grateful. What about all my friends and family who initially thought the diet wouldn't last and I was crazy? They are all trying the diet now too! They can't believe their eyes when they see how healthy I've become. They thought for sure I was dying. So if you are having pain associated with fibromyalgia, arthritis, osteoporosis (which includes men), or if you are having ANY pain, I suggest try going off sugar. Just know you are going to be cranky for a couple of weeks - allow yourself extra time for everything and try to reduce your workload - and just go off the stuff. You will feel a little rough for about two weeks, then you will start feeling better. I highly recommend that book - The Candida Cure by Ann Boroch. If you don't have candida but think you'd like to go off sugar - she has a great guide for doing that and tells you everything to avoid. I did not do any of the organ cleanses she suggests - I think cleanses are too hard on the body. There are good recipes in the book and she has a cookbook with very good recipes in it. And if you are on Facebook, I can help anybody that wants to go off sugar by giving you membership in a private group for people doing the Ann Boroch diet. We have a library with recipes galore.

Jump to this post

Do you think boron might help with neuropathy pain or does anyone in the group have experience with this?

@jimhd

@steeldove Kevin tries different settings, establishing when I start feeling the vibration, then when it stops. He does that around 6 times. When he determines that the stimulator is reaching the places where I have pain, he sends the new setting to my controller. Often he sends 2 different settings for me to try. If a setting hurts or makes me feel vibrations, I can turn it down. Sometimes I turn it up to see if it will reduce the pain. But since the beginning of 2019, it has given me no noticeable relief - maybe it will help for a week or two, but then the pain returns.

Does that make any sense? I'm pretty close to giving up on it. I'm going to the pain clinic in Portland in the spring, as soon as the roads are clear, and the threat of the covid19 virus is lower. I'm hoping that they will have something to do to get my pain level down.

Jim

Jump to this post

@jimhd Last month I underwent a 7-day trial with a Medtronic SCS and found that it helped some, particularly in my back and my nighttime foot pain, but didn't offer relief for bilateral miralgia paresthetica and knee pain. I researched more about lateral femoral nerve, and thought that could be the issue. I've messaged my doc at Mayo and asked if it's possible to insert SCS leads at two different locations on my spine, and if so, might he be willing to try to insert one in my very scoliotic lumbar spine. Here's hoping!

@faithwalker007

Okay lol in order of publication
Beast of Stratton
To Soar on Eagles Wings, Book One of the Snowy Range Chronicles
Racing Hearts
Through Raging Waters, Book Two of the Snowy Range Chronicles
Crazy Woman Christmas, A Cowboy Christmas Series Novella

Jump to this post

@faithwalker007 I can't find any of your books in my local library system or on Mobius. Being a gypsy and knowing how expensive it is to move books overseas, I gave up buying books a long time ago.

Thank you Colleen! I hope to learn a lot here!

@steeldove

@faithwalker007 I can't find any of your books in my local library system or on Mobius. Being a gypsy and knowing how expensive it is to move books overseas, I gave up buying books a long time ago.

Jump to this post

My name is Renee Blare

In reply to @faithwalker007 "My name is Renee Blare" + (show)
@faithwalker007

My name is Renee Blare

Jump to this post

You have to spell the last name right lol. I have an author page on Amazon.

@steeldove

Jump to this post

As for library? Not sure

I have neuropathy in my feet, only at night. Drs. have me on pregabalin 75 mg. I'm suppose to take it 2x a day, but I can't due to it making me drowsy, so only at night do I take it. I have started with Acupuncture and a massage called Tunia. Both have helped me tremendously. Has anyone else ever used an alternative way besides drugs?

@greeneyes55

I have neuropathy in my feet, only at night. Drs. have me on pregabalin 75 mg. I'm suppose to take it 2x a day, but I can't due to it making me drowsy, so only at night do I take it. I have started with Acupuncture and a massage called Tunia. Both have helped me tremendously. Has anyone else ever used an alternative way besides drugs?

Jump to this post

Hi greeneyes55. What does the neuropathy in your feet feel like?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.