Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@yossiradu

Is there no where on this website to post a new list for a new member that has a question? All I see are “reply”

Jump to this post

Hello @yossiradu, I would like to add my welcome to Connect along with @amandjro and other members. This post was done by clicking the Reply button at the bottom of your post with the question. If you want to start a new post in the same discussion, just go to the bottom of the discussion and click POST REPLY.

If you can't find a discussion that relates to your question under the Neuropathy Group and you want to start a new discussion, scroll to the top of the page and click the word Neuropathy. Then click the START A DISCUSSION button above the list of discussions in the Neuropathy group.

The Get Started on Connect guide covers all of the various tasks with step by step how to information. You can access the guide from any Connect page by scrolling to the bottom footer area of the page and clicking the Get Started on Connect link in the left footer column.

I'm sure we can point you to the right discussion. Can you tell us what your question is?

@helennicola

Thanks for posting that link John, I just learned a lot about SFN that I didn’t know! What I don’t get is why with all this available information hasn’t yet led to the discovery of a helpful drug. Helen

Jump to this post

Hi there @helennicola........that is a great question. Now, what would that helpful drug do? Would it be important to be able to keep the nerves from aging.....and then dying? Sort of like a specialized anti-aging medication? If that isn't possible what about replacement......there may be hope there. I just imagine the millions of nerves that someone with SFN must replace. Perhaps there are ways to take better care of our nerves if we could start at an earlier age.

Do you think there needs to be more funding options for scientific research? Are "we" with neuropathy of any kind, passed by because there is no measure of success......no guidelines for improvement and the patients always die anyway. Are there quality of life opportunities? Can we really turn pain into joy?

I have been told by clinicians "if they live long enough everyone will develop neuropathy".

I watch (with my heart) our members who run smack into a huge impassable wall when finding out a cure for their neuropathy just isn't going to be an option at this time.

Your posts often reflect my thinking. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Is there anything else you think we should contemplate?

May you have peace and be content.
Chris

Thank you so much for the welcome. I have extreme sensitivity to cold and air and greatly increases nerve pain. Does anybody else have this issue?

@steeldove @phoenix0509 @johnbishop @jesfactsmon @airpod

I hadn't lined up that whole name of my variation of sfn. But, I can use the long string of words John wrote, which is small fiber sensorimotor axonal peripheral polyneuropathy. How's that for a handle!

Jim

@candilynn

Thank you so much for the welcome. I have extreme sensitivity to cold and air and greatly increases nerve pain. Does anybody else have this issue?

Jump to this post

Hello @candilynn, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I am sure there are some other members here on Connect that share your symptoms of extreme sensitivity to the cold and the air greatly increases nerve pain. I only have numbness with my small fiber peripheral neuropathy but other members may be able to share how the cold and air affects their nerve pain.

Are you able to share a little more about your diagnosis?

@artscaping

Hi there @helennicola........that is a great question. Now, what would that helpful drug do? Would it be important to be able to keep the nerves from aging.....and then dying? Sort of like a specialized anti-aging medication? If that isn't possible what about replacement......there may be hope there. I just imagine the millions of nerves that someone with SFN must replace. Perhaps there are ways to take better care of our nerves if we could start at an earlier age.

Do you think there needs to be more funding options for scientific research? Are "we" with neuropathy of any kind, passed by because there is no measure of success......no guidelines for improvement and the patients always die anyway. Are there quality of life opportunities? Can we really turn pain into joy?

I have been told by clinicians "if they live long enough everyone will develop neuropathy".

I watch (with my heart) our members who run smack into a huge impassable wall when finding out a cure for their neuropathy just isn't going to be an option at this time.

Your posts often reflect my thinking. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Is there anything else you think we should contemplate?

May you have peace and be content.
Chris

Jump to this post

Chris, I have no answers unfortunately, just questions. There are so many drug choices for so many ailments, I almost think maybe scientists find it impossible to discover a successful treatment for nerve disease. My first choice of course would be to stop the progression, second, to heal and third to prevent pain with no side effects. No new thoughts; just the same: positive thinking, (mindfulness) diversions, love, and comfort. I Hope you have a lovely peaceful weekend, the fall weather here has been beautiful so I am enjoying every day while I can. Helen

@jesfactsmon

@specialty555
Hi there, my wife has had PN in her feet/ankles for 6 years. She does not do well with drugs and hates the thought of taking them in any case. Like you, she got no help from gabapentin and quit it. You ask for ideas. Here is the regime she follows:

1. healthy low sugar diet
2. 28 different supplements, best quality ones she can find; the ones specifically for PN include include benfotiamine, r lipoic acid coupled with acetyl l carnitine, Theracurmin (curcumin product recommended by @jeba ) for inflammation, and PEA (PALMITOYLETHANOLAMIDE).
3. she uses Penetrex (roll on, not the cream) on her feet before going to bed as it calms the pain down by about 30% for long enough to get to sleep. Before applying the Penetrex she soaks her feet in water, as hot as she can tolerate, which seems to help.
4. She has an electric fan blowing on her feet both during the day when she is sitting and at night while sleeping (she sticks her feet out at the end of the bed).
5. she keeps her stress level WAY down at all times and does not leave home most days. She tries to get regular sleep and enough sleep
6. She uses cannabis and kratom when her pain level goes beyond her ability to tolerate it.

Using these methods, she is, so far, managing to cope with her pain. The one thing that is lacking in her lifestyle is enough exercise. She says she is too weak most of the time, as she gets really hammered with the severity of the pain. Hope you find some or any of this helpful. Best, Hank

Jump to this post

Thanks Hank, sounds like you all have fpund a recipe that helps decrease your wifes pain. I wish she could do a little walking around your neighborhood, but it sounds like she is in too much pain to do any walking. Keep buggering on-Thank you 👱‍♀️

@candilynn

Jump to this post

Hello Candilynn and may I extend a very warm welcome!!! I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I too am very sensitive to the cold and in fact, years before I was formerly diagnosed w/ small fiber peripheral neuropathy, I used to make a joke that the mere barimetric pressure stung my face so much tears roll! Even a soft washcloth feels like sandpaper! The wind makes my facial skin sting. It coud be part and mostly neuropathy and also Fibromyalgia as well.

We know that there are findings although different, on skin biopsies for both diesases/conditions.

You know, for years the Rheumatologists and Neurologists have been at war over which specialty should manage these two diseases/conditions. They both involve nerves. I'm thinking that in the future, one of these specialties will manage both and I would think it would be Neurologists.

I know you will find a lot of support, encouragement, information and inspiration here on the Connect blog.

Many warm blessings, Sunnyflower

@johnbishop

@specialty555, I would like to add my welcome to Connect along with @erikas, @jesfactsmon and other members. Do your doctors think that the adrenal insufficiency may be related to your polyneuropathy symptoms? Here's a few articles with information about the conditions.

POEMS syndrome: a rare cause of adrenal insufficiency in a young male:
- https://edm.bioscientifica.com/view/journals/edm/2019/1/EDM19-0010.xml

POEMS: An expertise in the rare leads to a rare opportunity: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/hematology/newsfeed-post/poems-an-expertise-in-the-rare-leads-to-a-rare-opportunity/

Jump to this post

Hello John and @specialty555, I am so sorry to hear about your journey @specialty555. I have adrenal insufficiency from long-term steroid use aka am steroid dependent. The treatment for a crisis is steroids! So I have injectable at home if I am unable to take my daily oral dose. It showed up as low cortisole when tested.

Do you have an Endocrinologist who can manage this for you? Very important!!!

The average healthy person's body make about the equivalent of 5mg. of prednisone daily.

Infections, stress can really cause a crisis.

I wish all the best for you and will keep you in my prayers!

Warmest wishes, Sunnyflower

@sunnyflower

Hello John and @specialty555, I am so sorry to hear about your journey @specialty555. I have adrenal insufficiency from long-term steroid use aka am steroid dependent. The treatment for a crisis is steroids! So I have injectable at home if I am unable to take my daily oral dose. It showed up as low cortisole when tested.

Do you have an Endocrinologist who can manage this for you? Very important!!!

The average healthy person's body make about the equivalent of 5mg. of prednisone daily.

Infections, stress can really cause a crisis.

I wish all the best for you and will keep you in my prayers!

Warmest wishes, Sunnyflower

Jump to this post

@sunnyflower thank you so much!!! I am on my 3rd endocrinologist I saw her a week ago and she wanted all the reports and rest results. She called me on Friday and said I just have to confirm something cause it does not make sense to me...you were in the hospital they put you on treatment you felt great, was released and didn't fell well few days later they lower your dose then they take you off the medication?? I said yes! She said that makes no sense. I hope she will have an answer for me this week. I am just so frustrated. I am so sick and tired of feeling like this. I sleep for a few hours then I am up. I am so desperate. My levels have been so low then 1 time they were high but I just feel horrible. I wish you the best. Thanks for your info

Please sign in or register to post a reply.