Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@rwinney

Sorry, I just keep having thoughts on lacking research and urgency for peripheral neuropathy. It, for the most part, is an invisible disease which is not as prominent to reaction. It's human nature to react to a visual. I've witnessed first hand someone on crutches or with a cast getting immediate sympathy and recognition of pain over myself. My own husband responds more when my legs are fully wrapped in heat because he visualizes and reacts with empathy. The intense pain, burning, cramping, weakness, stabbing, electric shocks etc...is not typically seen externally by a stranger. Plus, for the most part, neuropathy is not a known killer, but a debilitater. Game changer!
This is only my opinion.
Rachel

Jump to this post

@rwinney Rachel, you are so right. My mom in law, God rest her soul, got livid when people used handicapped parking who were not in wheel chairs. If she could not see it, it didn't exist. She had MS, and used a walker. I used to try to reason with her that not all illness can be seen, but it was like talking to a wall. My mom had severe emphysema, and needed handicapped parking to get immediately into air conditioning, so that she could breathe! Some people lack empathy, intelligence,.....so many things. What amazes me is that there really are no drugs specifically for nerve damage. But my neurologist said, "nerves are very smart, and very hard to deal with!!!!" Who knows. I know that I am willing to try everything and anything not to hurt. Sometimes I try to keep my feet really still, because if I don't move them, some of the horrid senses that I feel, can't be felt. I do whatever helps. I would put mustard on them, if it helped. And if handicapped parking helps, people need to use them. I think we need to practice forgiveness from lack of empathy, idiocy, whatever....A forgiving heart can be peaceful.....Lori Renee

@lorirenee1 Wow! Very well stated, great example too. I'm glad you weighed in.

You made me laugh about mustard! 😂🤣😂
My body goes dormant quite often like your feet and I don't move. Almost like a my limbs fall heavy and dead. It's in order to avoid more pain. I hate to compare to paralysis but, a very distant friend.

@notborntoburn

Very well put I share your pain
Take care

Jump to this post

@notborntoburn ⚘🌷⚘

@lorirenee1

@rwinney Rachel, you are so right. My mom in law, God rest her soul, got livid when people used handicapped parking who were not in wheel chairs. If she could not see it, it didn't exist. She had MS, and used a walker. I used to try to reason with her that not all illness can be seen, but it was like talking to a wall. My mom had severe emphysema, and needed handicapped parking to get immediately into air conditioning, so that she could breathe! Some people lack empathy, intelligence,.....so many things. What amazes me is that there really are no drugs specifically for nerve damage. But my neurologist said, "nerves are very smart, and very hard to deal with!!!!" Who knows. I know that I am willing to try everything and anything not to hurt. Sometimes I try to keep my feet really still, because if I don't move them, some of the horrid senses that I feel, can't be felt. I do whatever helps. I would put mustard on them, if it helped. And if handicapped parking helps, people need to use them. I think we need to practice forgiveness from lack of empathy, idiocy, whatever....A forgiving heart can be peaceful.....Lori Renee

Jump to this post

@lorirenee1

I suppose that people see me getting out of my car that's in a handicap space and think I shouldn't park there. But I'm really glad I have a placard, especially when my feet are hurting. Any steps saved help me make it into a store and at least grab the things on my list. I used to enjoy browsing through stores, usually outshopping my wife, but I don't do that anymore - too painful. I'm a little less critical when I see healthy looking people using a handicap space. I remind myself that lots of disabilities aren't visible.

Jim

@jimhd

@lorirenee1

I suppose that people see me getting out of my car that's in a handicap space and think I shouldn't park there. But I'm really glad I have a placard, especially when my feet are hurting. Any steps saved help me make it into a store and at least grab the things on my list. I used to enjoy browsing through stores, usually outshopping my wife, but I don't do that anymore - too painful. I'm a little less critical when I see healthy looking people using a handicap space. I remind myself that lots of disabilities aren't visible.

Jim

Jump to this post

Along the lines of not judging a book by its cover.

I don't mean to change up but I did not know where to ask. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the numbness. My legs from the knees down are numb. So numb it is scary. I am a member of this group and have neuropathy. The numbness and heaviness are really doing a job on me mentally and physically.

@summertime4

I don't mean to change up but I did not know where to ask. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with the numbness. My legs from the knees down are numb. So numb it is scary. I am a member of this group and have neuropathy. The numbness and heaviness are really doing a job on me mentally and physically.

Jump to this post

Hello @summertime4. I only have intermittent numbness. The one thing I believe is good are myofascial release, massage, heat and stim to help generate blood flow and stimulate nerves. I believe @johnbishop lives daily with numbness in his feet and I'm sure he will offer what may work for him, if anything. How horrible to have to live with. Best wishes.
Rachel

@twinny Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do remember john having the numbness. I will go after him. Well you know what I mean. ha ha

@summertime4

@twinny Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do remember john having the numbness. I will go after him. Well you know what I mean. ha ha

Jump to this post

👍🏼

Please sign in or register to post a reply.