Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@gojuman

no change at all, but I'm guessing riding in a car for so many follow up days was not ideal. I made an appointment for a neurologist but it's 3 weeks away. I'm going to try to see my GP much sooner. I'm beginning to wonder if my old bad knee could be so inflamed that it's numbed the rest of my leg? But then I see things like MS online that causes numbness. I just didn't think neuropathy could just take a whole lime in the matter of a few hours?? I'm just terrified my life is over starting with my career. I have felt this many times because of my low back but it just won't wake up this time.

Jump to this post

@gojuman, I think seeing your GP as soon as possible is a good idea. There is another discussion that might be helpful on Myofascial Release Therapy if it's just a pinched or compressed nerve.

> Groups > Neuropathy > Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) for treating compression and pain
-- https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

I have no medical training or background but if you think about what neuropathy is as being dead, damaged/injured or pinched nerves that is causing the symptoms, a few of the causes like pinched nerve or an injury to a nerve could cause it to come on quickly and stay on until the cause is addressed if possible.

I despise being in the car as driver or passenger because of terrible outcomes I have experienced. Causes me extreme pain, numbness, tingling to a point of getting migraines and throwing up. I limit moving too much and also not moving enough. It’s crazy.

@cocodab

I despise being in the car as driver or passenger because of terrible outcomes I have experienced. Causes me extreme pain, numbness, tingling to a point of getting migraines and throwing up. I limit moving too much and also not moving enough. It’s crazy.

Jump to this post

Hi @cocodab, have you found any treatment or therapy that helps with your symptoms? I'm not keen on driving or riding in the car for long distances. To me it's kind of like sitting or standing for too long a time. I get wobbly if I do either to long. It's almost like I have to move a little bit to keep the joints flexible.

Perfect amount of rest and no stress. I have tried so much and some things do work but are temporary and everything cost money.

Also when and if possible I try to eat well. I find that helps. I also take some supplements. Who knows I fi

@cocodab

Also when and if possible I try to eat well. I find that helps. I also take some supplements. Who knows I fi

Jump to this post

How about you? What seems to help?

Talking about eating well yes usually do but really have sugar cravings. Like really bad. Does anyone else? Don’t really understand?

@cocodab

Talking about eating well yes usually do but really have sugar cravings. Like really bad. Does anyone else? Don’t really understand?

Jump to this post

@cocodab -- I have the same cravings for sugar but I really try to avoid it along with alcohol as both make neuropathy worse. I've stopped eating most processed foods and have eliminated fast foods which used to be a big problem for me. I started looking at nutrition after reading a book - The Wahls Protocol by Dr. Terry Wahls. She has an amazing story of curing her symptoms of MS through diet and nutrition. Her story -- https://terrywahls.com/about/about-terry-wahls/. I still struggle a little but at least I'm now looking at what I put into my body. ☺

I take some supplements which help my neuropathy -- mainly I believe it's slowing or has stopped the progression which I was worried about when I first started searching on what might help. My story is posted earlier on Connect here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/anyone-here-dealing-with-peripheral-neuropathy/?pg=42#comment-65985

I also keep a short saying I found close by as a reminder for me...

Diet...
Every time you eat or drink,
You are either feeding disease
or You are fighting it.
The choice is Yours....

@johnbishop

@cocodab -- I have the same cravings for sugar but I really try to avoid it along with alcohol as both make neuropathy worse. I've stopped eating most processed foods and have eliminated fast foods which used to be a big problem for me. I started looking at nutrition after reading a book - The Wahls Protocol by Dr. Terry Wahls. She has an amazing story of curing her symptoms of MS through diet and nutrition. Her story -- https://terrywahls.com/about/about-terry-wahls/. I still struggle a little but at least I'm now looking at what I put into my body. ☺

I take some supplements which help my neuropathy -- mainly I believe it's slowing or has stopped the progression which I was worried about when I first started searching on what might help. My story is posted earlier on Connect here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/anyone-here-dealing-with-peripheral-neuropathy/?pg=42#comment-65985

I also keep a short saying I found close by as a reminder for me...

Diet...
Every time you eat or drink,
You are either feeding disease
or You are fighting it.
The choice is Yours....

Jump to this post

I love that saying !!

@dancermurphy

I love that saying !!

Jump to this post

Wow!!! Going to put that on my refrigerator. So true!!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.