Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@margottaylor Good for you. Restorative is very beneficial. You can also do it at home with squishy balls, a cervical collar and more props. I am unabashedly promoting daily yoga. Just once a week isn’t enough. My yoga teacher made a pictograph list of postures for me. You are right. It is pretty wonderful. Be free of suffering today. Thanks for posting. Chris

@artscaping

@margottaylor Good for you. Restorative is very beneficial. You can also do it at home with squishy balls, a cervical collar and more props. I am unabashedly promoting daily yoga. Just once a week isn’t enough. My yoga teacher made a pictograph list of postures for me. You are right. It is pretty wonderful. Be free of suffering today. Thanks for posting. Chris

Jump to this post

Oh yes home restorative yoga is my go-to with pain, especially Legs up the Wall on a heating pad.
There are wonderful online Free yoga sessions if anyone is interested.
Keep going Chris and other Yogis! Margot

@jeanray

I am Jeanray.......Live in Florida. Diagnosed this week with peripheral neuropathy. It manifests mostly in my right leg, but also goes into the left leg and feet. I have had numbness in my goes and feet for some time. No indication of being diabetic. I do have some low back pain, I had a fall last summer and had a "bone bruise" on my right knee?? One thing that comes to mind is that I've had restless leg syndrome from time to time at night since I was in my 20's....I am 78. Doctor suggested Lyrica might lesson the symptons, has anyone had experience with that......

Jump to this post

@jeanray -- I am tagging @notborntoburn, @elmay, @pfbacon who have talked about Lyrica in other posts to see if they might be able to share their experience with you.

@grandmar

@johnbishop
Thank you, John!
I have been thinking about all sorts of activities.
My concern with yoga is my lack of core strength and my instability.
I suppose I can look on YouTube to find a program for people like me.
I have been getting into the pool.
I do all sorts of exercises.
I do the exercises I did in PT as well as swim laps, every other day.
I am also working on my stability in the pool.

Have a fantastic weekend!
Ronnie

Jump to this post

@grandmar If you're able to get on the floor, you can work on developing your core strength by doing a plank which is the simplest and most effective core strengthener there is. (Google for picture if you're not familiar with the plank)

@steeldove

@grandmar If you're able to get on the floor, you can work on developing your core strength by doing a plank which is the simplest and most effective core strengthener there is. (Google for picture if you're not familiar with the plank)

Jump to this post

Thank you!

I just found out that my friend's elderly doggie is taking gabapentin - it was prescribed by his vet.

@grandmar

Happy Friday!
I received my leg brace this week. There is certainly a difference with the way I walk. The front of my right foot lifts when I walk. I am hoping this will help with my falling.
On the other side, I feel the neuropathy in both feet getting worse. My right foot is the worse, but I am feeling that both sides are getting weaker.
Is this common? Do your legs, ankles and feet get weaker?
In addition, my right foot (the worse one) swells. Is this common, too?

Have a great day!
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Jump to this post

Hi @grandmar -- Ronnie. My husband John has dealt with Sensory Periphery Neuropathy for 20 years. His neuropathy is due to a genetic disease -- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT). You can find more information on CMT at the following:
https://www.foundationforpn.org/what-is-peripheral-neuropathy/causes/heredity-disorders/
https://www.cmtausa.org/understanding-cmt/what-is-cmt/
John's neuropathy does not cause pain; however, he has NO feeling below both knees -- He broke a toe last December, and realized it only in the evening, when he took his socks off and saw half of his foot was red and swollen.
In spite of this severe case of neuropathy, John walks "normally", drives "normally", and has no problem on stairs. This is how he has managed to remain so capable: He wore athletic ankle weights for 12 years, every day. This allowed him to strengthen his leg muscles and "teach" other parts of the body to "feel" changes in movement and ground contour. In fact, when asked how is he capable to drive and walk, in spite of not having any feelings in his lower legs, John says he "feels movement with his knees".
Yes, he does have occasional problems and he wears compression socks to prevent swelling.
Hope this helps Ronnie! A hug .... --Dee

@danielad

Hi @grandmar -- Ronnie. My husband John has dealt with Sensory Periphery Neuropathy for 20 years. His neuropathy is due to a genetic disease -- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT). You can find more information on CMT at the following:
https://www.foundationforpn.org/what-is-peripheral-neuropathy/causes/heredity-disorders/
https://www.cmtausa.org/understanding-cmt/what-is-cmt/
John's neuropathy does not cause pain; however, he has NO feeling below both knees -- He broke a toe last December, and realized it only in the evening, when he took his socks off and saw half of his foot was red and swollen.
In spite of this severe case of neuropathy, John walks "normally", drives "normally", and has no problem on stairs. This is how he has managed to remain so capable: He wore athletic ankle weights for 12 years, every day. This allowed him to strengthen his leg muscles and "teach" other parts of the body to "feel" changes in movement and ground contour. In fact, when asked how is he capable to drive and walk, in spite of not having any feelings in his lower legs, John says he "feels movement with his knees".
Yes, he does have occasional problems and he wears compression socks to prevent swelling.
Hope this helps Ronnie! A hug .... --Dee

Jump to this post

Thank you very much for the information!

@grandmar

Thank you very much for the information!

Jump to this post

@grandmar -- Ronnie, John has done very well, in spite of the progression of the neuropathy; you can too!
--Dee

Please sign in or register to post a reply.