Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@becsbuddy I wanted to stop by the beach at Jacksonville after my appointment but it was dark and my legs gave up 😅 this is the best picture I could get of the outside of the building. I had to go home to Kissimmee at that time 🥵. Hope you guys have a great walk. Nice view 📸 great imagery for me right now.

Thanks for sharing your walks and the view 🌼Blessings 🙏🏻

@becsbuddy

I thought that this is the perfect time for all the walkers, runners, and skippers, to share their safety tips for cold, icy, snowy weather walking. I always wear my “ice shoes” or, cleats when I’m out in the snow. They stretch right over my boots and can be removed when i go inside. Mine are called ‘yak’s tracks”. But, if it looks very icy, I just don’t go out. Certainly don’t want to break a hip or my leg!
Has anyone got some more great tips?

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy and all...
Well, those babies look vicious! I've never lived as an adult in ice or snow, just sand. The sand may sound easy to walk, but it requires a lot of toes and foot movement and balance...my arthritic feet, with added numbness from PN and pain from PN and Sarcoid and whatever, it's a tough trip. So, I stay in the parking lot, sidewalk, or inside corridors or malls. The only way I walk these days for exercise. Not doing too much until I get some iron infusions and energy! I'm doing well sitting in my recliner and filling my bird feeders. Need to clean every one of them soon.

I bought a new feeder to replace one I tossed and filled with dove seed food. I have a regular mourning dove extended family visiting all during the day, so I thought I'd try this food just for them. I put it out last evening. They were loving it and the filled safflower seed feeder this morning, fairly early. Made me so happy. Also, had a healthy pileated woodpecker at the peanuts and the woodpecker seed block I just put out. I've missed playing with my feathered friends lately Glad to see them coming back.

I admire all you folks in cold country. I'd be so concerned about the ice and falling. Be safe, love your cleats, Becky, and enjoy all the beauty around you on your walks. Blessings....
Elizabeth

@ess77

@becsbuddy and all...
Well, those babies look vicious! I've never lived as an adult in ice or snow, just sand. The sand may sound easy to walk, but it requires a lot of toes and foot movement and balance...my arthritic feet, with added numbness from PN and pain from PN and Sarcoid and whatever, it's a tough trip. So, I stay in the parking lot, sidewalk, or inside corridors or malls. The only way I walk these days for exercise. Not doing too much until I get some iron infusions and energy! I'm doing well sitting in my recliner and filling my bird feeders. Need to clean every one of them soon.

I bought a new feeder to replace one I tossed and filled with dove seed food. I have a regular mourning dove extended family visiting all during the day, so I thought I'd try this food just for them. I put it out last evening. They were loving it and the filled safflower seed feeder this morning, fairly early. Made me so happy. Also, had a healthy pileated woodpecker at the peanuts and the woodpecker seed block I just put out. I've missed playing with my feathered friends lately Glad to see them coming back.

I admire all you folks in cold country. I'd be so concerned about the ice and falling. Be safe, love your cleats, Becky, and enjoy all the beauty around you on your walks. Blessings....
Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77

I grew up and lived in New York so I know what walking (and driving) on ice and packed snow is like. But you reminded me, living in Florida now, that soft sand is the trickiest surface to walk on.
I find it easier to take off whatever footwear I have on and clench my toes and walk. and lift my legs a little higher. I have good balance but, boy it is tough at times. If the sand is too hot I will put my footwear back on and "race" for the wet sand.

Living dangerously in Florida.....FL Mary

@imallears

@ess77

I grew up and lived in New York so I know what walking (and driving) on ice and packed snow is like. But you reminded me, living in Florida now, that soft sand is the trickiest surface to walk on.
I find it easier to take off whatever footwear I have on and clench my toes and walk. and lift my legs a little higher. I have good balance but, boy it is tough at times. If the sand is too hot I will put my footwear back on and "race" for the wet sand.

Living dangerously in Florida.....FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears and all...I never, I mean never walk on the beach with footwear. I have a really serious need to feel the sand between my toes and the waves sloshing up on my feet! It's the only way to go unless you're running or whatever. But, it's tough to take each step, and now have a hard time doing the sand walking. I miss those days and the peace it brings.

Oh, Mary, enjoy. I'll dream of the special feeling and of course the view...
Elizabeth...in Florida!

@lidiana

@becsbuddy I wanted to stop by the beach at Jacksonville after my appointment but it was dark and my legs gave up 😅 this is the best picture I could get of the outside of the building. I had to go home to Kissimmee at that time 🥵. Hope you guys have a great walk. Nice view 📸 great imagery for me right now.

Thanks for sharing your walks and the view 🌼Blessings 🙏🏻

Jump to this post

@lidiana I would certainly not recommend that you go walking in the dark!! Kudos to you for going right home! You can always walk another day. I’m waiting for the snow to melt so I can go out. Have you ever walked in the snow?

@becsbuddy

@lidiana I would certainly not recommend that you go walking in the dark!! Kudos to you for going right home! You can always walk another day. I’m waiting for the snow to melt so I can go out. Have you ever walked in the snow?

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy thanks for the reply I was at the campus building but yeah I had to get the wheelchair at the end. Indeed it was dark we got home late. I would really wish to walk, touch or do all this cool things with snow ⛄️ 😇 I a haven’t seen or been near it. I went to Germany to see my aunt but it wasn’t winter or snowy at the time of my visit. I have this pictures of the beach 🏖️ of Jacksonville close to Mayo when I stopped a few months ago when I was feeling a lil better.

🙏🏻 I hope the snow pass and you can enjoy your surroundings and walks safely without icy 🥶 sidewalks etc.

Blessings 🌼

Well, the sun is out and the sky is perfect blue and the snow has mostly melted! I’m going for a walk! Thought I’d stop at my friends house to see how she’s doing. Her brother was injured in the night club shooting in Colorado Springs. Maybe she’ll go walking with me!
Who else is going to enjoy the good weather? Least we don’t have 6-7 ft of snow like parts of NY!

@becsbuddy

Well, the sun is out and the sky is perfect blue and the snow has mostly melted! I’m going for a walk! Thought I’d stop at my friends house to see how she’s doing. Her brother was injured in the night club shooting in Colorado Springs. Maybe she’ll go walking with me!
Who else is going to enjoy the good weather? Least we don’t have 6-7 ft of snow like parts of NY!

Jump to this post

I did a little walking between showers today, but after 4 days of much-needed rain, we are in slippery mud - not quite as dangerous as walking on ice, but a whole lot messier. So I have been making do with short walks to see friends, and today I braved the pre-Thanksgiving crowd at the grocery store. As soon as the sun comes out, my walking shoes will need a thorough scrubbing.
Just to give you all a smile - my daughter, son-in-law and 2 little boys went sledding in 0 degree wind chill on Saturday - the 6 year old said he can now go "Alone, and as fast as Sonic!" which is a major accomplishment - the past 2 winters he would only sled with an adult. He wants me to go with him when I am home for Christmas, so I need to build my stamina quickly.
Sue

@becsbuddy

Let’s see if a few more want to join us and then we’ll get started! I’m so glad you all want to see if you can beat fatigue. Becky

Jump to this post

Hi! I hope I’m not too late to join you all. Just starting my 6 months pre weight loss surgery journey and sitting still is not an option! No idea how all this works so all guidance very much appreciated. Thanks. Julie-Ann

@jaglover10

Hi! I hope I’m not too late to join you all. Just starting my 6 months pre weight loss surgery journey and sitting still is not an option! No idea how all this works so all guidance very much appreciated. Thanks. Julie-Ann

Jump to this post

@jaglover10 Welcome! It’s never too late to join us! I put in the link for Mayo Clinic’s 12-week walking plan if you need a start.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/773497/
You can walk, run, or do aerobics, or whatever works for you, just get outside! Maybe report on what you see when you go walking. If you're in a warm, sunny location, be sure to tell us snow- bound folks how nice it is! We got 5” of snow last night, but now the sun is out and it’s gorgeous! (But that’s because I don’t have to go out in it ;- )
Let the group know of your progress

Please sign in or register to post a reply.