Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@Erinmfs

@jakedduck1 Leonard, they are Allegria shoes, called Traq. I found them in rochester, but ordered them online. Allegria makes shoes for nurses, so I was looking for a comfortable, on your feet alot kind of shoe. When they arrive new, the instructions say to download the app, and shake the left shoe next to the phone, somehow the shoe starts talking to the phone app, I dunno, I can't hear what they're saying without looking at the app screen, if the shoes are laughing at me, I'm glad, they're fun to use

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs
I wonder if I could fool them and put them by putting them on my hands and move them in my lap while watching TV?
Jake

@jakedduck1

@Erinmfs
I wonder if I could fool them and put them by putting them on my hands and move them in my lap while watching TV?
Jake

Jump to this post

I wear them on my bicycle, they don't complain, but I forget to check to see if they counted anything. It's on my todo list to check the app after a day of biking 😛 I just checked them around the house, I walked 35 steps here in the house, and that was fairly accurately captured by the app.

@jakedduck1

@Erinmfs
Jake

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs @jakedduck1.. Lol. This reminds me of people putting the fitbit on their dogs' leg... I turned off my futbits reminder. It buzzed me every hour to move. Sometimes I have so much pain I just can't move, but I can't talk back to it!

@mayofeb2020

@Erinmfs @jakedduck1.. Lol. This reminds me of people putting the fitbit on their dogs' leg... I turned off my futbits reminder. It buzzed me every hour to move. Sometimes I have so much pain I just can't move, but I can't talk back to it!

Jump to this post

I didn't like the fitbit so much either, I'm enjoying the shoes. They don't complain, make any noise. I do feel guilty if I wear other shoes, as my count goals aren't met on the app wearing other shoes. I've had these now a year, they need to be washed. I think I can throw them in the washing machine. They are very very comfortable shoes. But mine are not as white as they used to be.

@jakedduck1

@Erinmfs
Jake

Jump to this post

For sure, you would come up with a solution, Jake! Haha

@Erinmfs

@ess77 you are funny. These shoes are fun to play with, and yes, they6 can make me feel guilty if the number isn't high enough, 3 miles is hard to do sometimes

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs Glad you like them not for me If I heard my shoes talking to me I'd jump lol

@ess77

@jude07 Yes, it seems we do live on a roller-coaster.
Since getting to Mayo, the consistent care with answers, diagnoses and treatment, my health and life have evened out a bit.....I still have surprises like the silly infected toe and possible bone complication and the shock of an increase in brain white matter revealed on the EEG I had last week - that's a shock. White matter issues are concerning, and who knows where that will lead or the time-frame. This is one reason it's important for Rob and me to get both our lives in order - at age 74, with my health and now this issue, we must get his future resolved best we can. He will be alone, no other family, and we have to get a plan for him.

And, Jude, he lives on a huge, scary roller coaster, at times out of control. I'm hopeful we may be on a road to getting some permanent solutions for him. He can't continue in the pain he's experienced for so long. Can't.

My extreme work-out with the oak leaves/squigglies/etc was quite extreme for me. Haven't done anything like that in years, and had to laugh as I used that blower! Thought even if I dropped in my tracks that moment, I'd have a smile on my face. I do love that gardening, getting hands in dirt, organizing my plants.

Btw: I'm a bit sore and tired today, used MMJ pain lotion last night and slept well, but today know I quite overdid it. So, this is a rest day. Tomorrow is too, but must take Rob to the beach for first counseling visit. This is a good thing. He will finally begin improving, I'll take an easy stroll on the beach if my toe survives, or sit and enjoy the peace.

How about that, I'll get a walk in tomorrow, on the lovely beach with waves and wind and good things all.
P.S. Sue, having fun with friends? more line dancing?
P.S.S. Lioness, so sorry you've had more difficult days....I think a one bedroom sounds wonderful! And, you can have lovely plant friends as much as you can care for...simplified life is a good thing!
P.S.S. Hope fiesty76 is better and her back is better...worried about her!
Blessings. elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77, Yes, if nothing more, our health conditions and those of loved ones can make us much more appreciative and grateful for those sunshine moments that bring delight. Whether playing in the yard or a walk on a lovely beach, each brief respite that brings a smile and feeling of renewal is truly a gift.

Best to both you and your son going forward!

@ess77

@fiesty76 You are such a dear person, fiesty! Thanks for the good words, and yes, this has always been one way I deal with my issues in life, be they work/business issues, health findings, family problems, whatever...I've always found I best work them out moving furniture and rearranging rooms or crazy hazy yard work or the flowers and patio or when I was much younger, exercise.

So, makes sense I'd do this but for crying out loud, I haven't been able to sweep or rake or lift at all for several years! This was wonderful for me emotionally.....I did need an outlet or I needed to go to the forest and scream!!!!!! physically, my body is crying out for movement! This was it! Spiritually, my soul needed to be closer to nature, to feel the soil and dirt, be involved with God's creations......and now I enjoy the results of the work I did by not tracking in squigglies and leaves and by enjoying the order, seeing the plants happy, the flowering plants and pots on the patio.....I'm hiring someone to do my son's patio and mine, the clearing and digging and planting etc. I'm doing what I can and will enjoy, but I want some stones installed and other heavier things, and I can't overdo this.
Just called the pool....YMCA not opened it yet, but Brooks Rehab is using it for rehab, so I can get my doc to write another script and get going again. That's next week.

Just got call from Mayo for another endoscopy, to stretch the Schatzi Ring they found. They wanted to wait for path reports re Barrett's Esophogus and polyps and other areas before doing that procedure....so, have to have another one. Concerned about another sedation so soon, especially w/white matter issues.....will ck with docs...and she ordered an abdomen MR, too. So it goes...
Glad you're doing better. Keep it up!
Blessings, elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77, Like you, I find it is those times when I'm feeling the worst and don't want to move that if I can "kick start" myself to simply stand and take a few steps in any direction creating even small motion helps.

However, unlike you, once furniture and knick knacks are in place, they seem to become "glued to their spots forever". Smiles

One friend has long made it a habit to shake things up a bit by moving at least one item each week from one location to another. Sometimes small things; other times, furniture rearrangements. She says even small changes in the appearance of her home boosts her spirits. While I can appreciate you both for finding that helpful, it just sounds dreadful to me. lol

Will be thinking of you as you go for more tests and hope you'll be able to keep moving as you await results and new treatment plans.

@Erinmfs

@ess77 you are funny. These shoes are fun to play with, and yes, they6 can make me feel guilty if the number isn't high enough, 3 miles is hard to do sometimes

Jump to this post

@Erinmfs Wow, I just read that you walk 3 miles! Do you walk that far every day? I remember that I used to before I got sick, but not anymore.
Had a nice walk today especially since the snow and ice is gone (for now). But April is the second snowiest month around Denver, so we’ll have to wait and see.
And the sun was out! So it was almost warm.
What is your secret to getting a long walk in? Besides determination! Becky

@becsbuddy thank you for noticing the mileage on my post. My secret is that I walk to the grocery store, I like to eat at deli. Most days I don't have such great mileage on my traq shoes. The goal is to fill up that pie chart with steps! The shoe app supports groups, I was hoping to form a shoe group, are you going to invest in a pair of smart shoes and walk with us? 😛

Please sign in or register to post a reply.