Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@sueinmn

Indeed we do layer up! On Christmas Eve we even got out the (no kidding) 1/2 century old Air Force Arctic parkas to wear to our outdoor church service. Our Sorel boots date back to the 1990's - the only thing that wears out is the felt liners, and we just replace them...

Since we are in MN for a lot longer this winter than in the past 12 years, and no longer have as many warm layers as we once did, I just added 2 new winter weight T's from Duluth Trading to each of our wardrobes - one of their flagship stores is just 3 miles from us. My husband got a great new battery-powered fleece vest from our daughter and son-in-law for Christmas - they gave it to him as soon as it arrived, and he has worn it almost daily for over a month. It has made a huge difference in his comfort. The only thing that bothers me is cold feet or fingers, so I went to REI as soon as it snowed the first time and got new mittens (my first in over 20 years) - my how technology has improved - and 7 pairs of new wool socks. Now we're all set!

Just waiting for the snow to begin so I can go walk in it this afternoon.
Sue
PS - Jake - I'll fortify myself with a few Christmas cookies first!
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn
In that weather I think it’s going to take more than a few for full fortification.
Enjoy,
Jake

@wisco50

Funny, I was thinking of going to REI for mitten advice also!
I have fallen in love with the CuddleDuds and similar type clothing for layering! In fact, they make very nice winter pjs!

Jump to this post

I found my mittens in the Youth section, where they cost less than the adult version and fit my hands well, too. They are totally wind and waterproof, which is great when playing out with my little grandsons. Earlier this winter, we "tested" our mittens by putting them in puddles of slush - and our hands stayed dry!

In addition, for Christmas my daughter gifted me with beautiful mittens made from felted sweaters and lined with fleece for walking - so now I have 2 great pairs, and can keep one in my car. My girls also crocheted me 2 alpaca hats - so soft, and not the least bit itchy - and made small enough to pull my hood over them. Now I just need a new neck/face warmer fleece - need to dig in my stash for the right thin, soft fleece...

That has to wait - next 3 days will be helping both daughters.
Sue

@mayofeb2020

@fiesty 76..."Vintage relics" were made to last. I have a few of those around the house. My kids used to tease me that I'm hoarding, but back in those days, things were made in the USA. Nowadays, it's hard to find anything that's not made in China and the quality is just not the same. If it's not broke, keep it.

Jump to this post

Off topic, but yup, have been looking lately at all the kitchenware from our 1972 wedding - Club aluminum pans, Pyrex mixing bowls and casseroles, stainless steel salad bowl... then there's Grandma's bread bowl, the vintage cast iron skillets and my Mom's aluminum cookie sheet from 1947 when she got her first stove with an oven and the saucepan she used to warm baby bottles!
Sue

@fiesty76

@ellens, I still have and on occasion wear out to the mailbox or dumpster one of the 1st X-mas gifts my hubby gave me in 1965. It is a loden green nylon, insulated ski parka that saw much wear in NV and MN and still is donned in TX for those really quick icy treks to and from house! While other parkas and warm gear was purchased over the decades, this "vintage" relic is one that never fails to bring a smile and dry warmth 55 yrs later! lol

P.S. I also still frequently use a wedding gift Oster blender too...not clothing but just saying that just because something has been well broken in, if it still serves the purpose, why not???? vbg

Jump to this post

I have a number of very warm clothes that would be considered vintage. They still serve their purposes well. Speaking of kitchen items, I still use a Corning Ware coffeepot and other items from my mother, grandmothers, great grandmothers, and even a great-great grandmother.

@ellens

I have a number of very warm clothes that would be considered vintage. They still serve their purposes well. Speaking of kitchen items, I still use a Corning Ware coffeepot and other items from my mother, grandmothers, great grandmothers, and even a great-great grandmother.

Jump to this post

I got married in 1971. It didn’t last but still have some of the cookware! Corning loaf pan, still my Farberware pots and pans I use and love. Every now and then I have to tighten the handle screws, LOL! I only have two fry pans, one small, one large, that have modern non stick coatings, use them for eggs, etc. Otherwise I prefer the real thing. Pyrex bowls, and a steal I picked up from some then elderly neighbors who were moving. Mixing bowls, nested set. Blanking on the name, argh! You’d recognize it in a minute - heavy pottery, pretty colors! Tip of my tongue syndrome! Help!

@wisco50

I got married in 1971. It didn’t last but still have some of the cookware! Corning loaf pan, still my Farberware pots and pans I use and love. Every now and then I have to tighten the handle screws, LOL! I only have two fry pans, one small, one large, that have modern non stick coatings, use them for eggs, etc. Otherwise I prefer the real thing. Pyrex bowls, and a steal I picked up from some then elderly neighbors who were moving. Mixing bowls, nested set. Blanking on the name, argh! You’d recognize it in a minute - heavy pottery, pretty colors! Tip of my tongue syndrome! Help!

Jump to this post

@wisco50 Fiestaware? I have old Pyrex bowls and pie plates, single layer cake pans, old aluminum Dutch oven, Corningware loaf pan.
Ginger

@gingerw

@wisco50 Fiestaware? I have old Pyrex bowls and pie plates, single layer cake pans, old aluminum Dutch oven, Corningware loaf pan.
Ginger

Jump to this post

DINGDINGDING! 😍 Yes, Fiestaware, thank you! LOL! It’s great for bread dough rising in the largest bowl. I warm my oven up a tiny bit, then put the bowl with dough in it - holds warmth nicely. Pretty too!

@wisco50

DINGDINGDING! 😍 Yes, Fiestaware, thank you! LOL! It’s great for bread dough rising in the largest bowl. I warm my oven up a tiny bit, then put the bowl with dough in it - holds warmth nicely. Pretty too!

Jump to this post

Off topic,
In hospital,, cant stand, walk seecradhed car snow not why in HOSP

@jakedduck1

Off topic,
In hospital,, cant stand, walk seecradhed car snow not why in HOSP

Jump to this post

Not sure what “seecradhed car snow” meams?

@wisco50

Jump to this post

@wisco, I don't have Fiestaware but do the same as you for bread dough rising. Turn oven to 200 then turn off and put in dough...it does speed the time for both required risings. Yay for time savers!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.