Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@fiesty76 I logged back in on home page I don't know maybe someone smarter then me can help with more information ☺️

Jump to this post

@lioness, thank you. Wouldn't accept my e-mail/psswd to log back in...guess it thinks I'm good to go....

@deborahfrick123

@lioness
I don't know if I got kicked out of these email groups But I do not get the email threads anymore. I went back into my trash to write this message.
I'll keep the garlic enema in my notes, it might come in use one day.
No walking this week. My knees hurt, click and throb so bad I want to scream! I think I need a chair exercise routine that will work out my whole body.

Jump to this post

@deborahfrick123, I lost access to the Daily Digest and individ. responses as well. I go in just now by going to my profile. Under Groups and Pages, see Posts which will give responses made to others. Don't know if this helps but the extra steps are discouraging. I'm thinking maybe I got shut out because of a ton of posts on one forum which I just deleted...too many to respond to.

Several walkers here do the chair exercises and have linked some found on utube, I think. Hope knees feel better Soon!

Been out of access to group since the 10th but have been keeping to the walks. Very happy to report that I got the flu shot on the 10th and learned that both my pneumonia vaccines were "good" for 10 yrs. Yesterday I drove to a park that butts up to an ele. school. It was fun just watching the children on their playground from a distance. Hadn't expected to see them, just like that park, so that added a boost to the morning. It's been ac to heat and back to ac so thermostat is also getting some exercise! Smiles to all.

@fiesty76

@deborahfrick123, I lost access to the Daily Digest and individ. responses as well. I go in just now by going to my profile. Under Groups and Pages, see Posts which will give responses made to others. Don't know if this helps but the extra steps are discouraging. I'm thinking maybe I got shut out because of a ton of posts on one forum which I just deleted...too many to respond to.

Several walkers here do the chair exercises and have linked some found on utube, I think. Hope knees feel better Soon!

Jump to this post

I seem to have lost the group as well.
Good to hear you are still walking, as am I. Good idea to observe children at play, hope it warmed your heart. Cooler temps coming to Minn tomorrow so I will walk and mow the lawn today. Enjoy and stay safe.

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 and @deborahfrick123, your email client caused Mayo Clinic Connect-related emails to bounce. In other words, signalled to us that the email was no longer valid. This can happen for a variety of reasons. If this happens again, please send me a private message and I'll get things straightened out.

Your emails have been reinstated and you should receive the email notifications as usual. To prevent this from happening again you can either:

1. [Tip] Filter your Connect emails into a folder https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/tip-filter-your-connect-emails-into-a-folder-1/
2. How to add Connect to your Safe Senders List https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/about-connect/newsfeed-post/what-to-do-if-you-arent-getting-connect-email-notifications-anymore/

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@deborahfrick123 Hi I wanted to let you know about strengthening the knees I found this by another member it works for me A exercise band put under foot bend and straighten knee I started slowly but now 10 on each leg

@fiesty76

Been out of access to group since the 10th but have been keeping to the walks. Very happy to report that I got the flu shot on the 10th and learned that both my pneumonia vaccines were "good" for 10 yrs. Yesterday I drove to a park that butts up to an ele. school. It was fun just watching the children on their playground from a distance. Hadn't expected to see them, just like that park, so that added a boost to the morning. It's been ac to heat and back to ac so thermostat is also getting some exercise! Smiles to all.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 What a pleasant surprise you had I've been doing chair exercises it's to hot so will walk later this evening

@fiesty76

@loness, I've lost access too. I tried to go to my profile....checked the grps to follow but don't know how to "sign back in"? So frustrating...can access through a much earlier "daily digest" but can't get back the walking and few others?

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 I lost connections too. Guess I’ll tell Colleen.
You may not see me here for awhile because my disease has come back and I feel awful. Keep up the good work!

@becsbuddy Sorry to hear you are sick again. What’s happening?

@bustrbrwn22 I have an unusual autoimmune disease that the doctors don’t know much about. I’ve been feeling strange for about 2 months so I asked for an MRI which showed the disease is back. Lovely! Thanks for asking about me!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.