Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@mayofeb2020

@lioness @jude07... High expected to reach 98 today. Pushed myself to walk extra distance this morning at 7:30 because I know I won't be going out later. Rolling blackout is expected too. Usually on days like these, people would go to local libraries malls, and senior centers to take advantage of a/c, but now all these are closed. Not sure if public swimming pools are opened. Would love some cooler weather. I'm wilting.

Jump to this post

My gosh, we’ve had some warmer temps, however that’s a bit too much. When fall comes here I start to shiver with the thought of snowing following soon after.

@jude07

My gosh, we’ve had some warmer temps, however that’s a bit too much. When fall comes here I start to shiver with the thought of snowing following soon after.

Jump to this post

I understand! I love fall for many reasons but not because winter is following!

@sueinmn

@wisco50 We use our cucumbers to make potato/cucumber/onion soup in winter, to eat with grilled cheese sandwiches. All I do is peel them (the peels go to my daughter's 70 lb tortoise or to the guinea pigs) slice them on a mandolin slicer and bag them. If I have extra onions, I slice and add to the bag. When ready to make soup I just dump the whole block in the kettle, add potatoes & veg broth & cook. My MIL taught me this 50 years ago. She also used to take them out of the freezer, thaw in salt water, then drain & marinate with sliced onions, vinegar, sugar, oil, salt & pepper as what they called "winter salad" - not as crunchy as fresh, but a great change from canned beans and corn.

Tomatoes, I do "lazy Mom" style - wash, dry, remove core & any bad spots, quarter the large ones. Then simply bag & freeze - no blanching, peeling or anything. When its time to make chili, rice & beans or any other dish, I take out as many as I need and toss them in the pot - as they thaw the skins float to the top and I pick them out. I freeze the Italian paste-type tomatoes the same way, but separately for making spaghetti sauce. I learned this from my Mom about 60 years ago when she & Dad were raising 6 kids & working two jobs each, no time to can!

SSue

Jump to this post

Wow, a 70# tortoise! What an image! What climate do they live in? That fascinates me!

98 degrees sounds hideous! I whine when it hits 80 degrees. Big box stores should be open and if you are willing to mask up, you could take some refuge there. I live in Duluth, MN, "the air-conditioned city," and when we got up to 88 in July I was not happy! I'll take shoveling snow over cooking in the heat.

@wisco50

Wow, a 70# tortoise! What an image! What climate do they live in? That fascinates me!

Jump to this post

@wisco50 They live in Minnesota. In temperate weather Tank lives in a large movable pen with a shelter that my son-in-law moves weekly to a new supply of grass in their large back yard. In winter he lives in a temperature controlled habitat in their basement. He was a rescue that came with my daughter to their marriage, estimated age now about 20 or so - he'll live up to 100 years, and over 150 pounds - the 4 year old is already taking over his feeding, so I imagine he will eventually own him. In a "former life" my daughter was a performer, and part of a reptile rescue educational act, at one time we thought her home was a menagerie, complete with Tank, assorted snakes, lizards, parrots, occasionally an alligator hatchling, even a few raptors - but now she's raising kids. I'll have to ask her which is more challenging. VBG
Sue

Well, yesterday my walk was a quick one as supper baked - got most of my exercise wrangling my grandsons for a few hours. Good thing Grandma has been walking and exercising - their favorite game right now is Tag - we play until I "fall" to the ground and they mob me. 4 year olds can run really fast - and forever, it seems. Little brother tries so hard to keep up - when he can't any more, he grabs a ball and initiates a game of catch - I think he's going to be a diplomat or a negotiator.

Today will be more placid - I'm looking to walk one of our local, shady paths with my "tunes" plugged in - oops, correction - I called one of my winter walking buddies, who lives in Illinois, as I left the house. We walked and talked to catch up with each other for 40 minutes. I highly recommend this method of keeping in touch!
Sue

@sueinmn

Well, yesterday my walk was a quick one as supper baked - got most of my exercise wrangling my grandsons for a few hours. Good thing Grandma has been walking and exercising - their favorite game right now is Tag - we play until I "fall" to the ground and they mob me. 4 year olds can run really fast - and forever, it seems. Little brother tries so hard to keep up - when he can't any more, he grabs a ball and initiates a game of catch - I think he's going to be a diplomat or a negotiator.

Today will be more placid - I'm looking to walk one of our local, shady paths with my "tunes" plugged in - oops, correction - I called one of my winter walking buddies, who lives in Illinois, as I left the house. We walked and talked to catch up with each other for 40 minutes. I highly recommend this method of keeping in touch!
Sue

Jump to this post

You are such a good and active Grandma; those grandchildren will tell stories in their grown years about you playing tag with them until you “fell over”! How magical!

@sueinmn

@wisco50 They live in Minnesota. In temperate weather Tank lives in a large movable pen with a shelter that my son-in-law moves weekly to a new supply of grass in their large back yard. In winter he lives in a temperature controlled habitat in their basement. He was a rescue that came with my daughter to their marriage, estimated age now about 20 or so - he'll live up to 100 years, and over 150 pounds - the 4 year old is already taking over his feeding, so I imagine he will eventually own him. In a "former life" my daughter was a performer, and part of a reptile rescue educational act, at one time we thought her home was a menagerie, complete with Tank, assorted snakes, lizards, parrots, occasionally an alligator hatchling, even a few raptors - but now she's raising kids. I'll have to ask her which is more challenging. VBG
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn. Tank sounds absolutely fascinating!i had a little turtle when my son was a toddler, it escaped and we never found him. Could you share a pic of Tank?

@mayofeb2020

@sueinmn. Tank sounds absolutely fascinating!i had a little turtle when my son was a toddler, it escaped and we never found him. Could you share a pic of Tank?

Jump to this post

Next time I'm there I'll get a picture of him in his domain.
Sue

@jude07

You are such a good and active Grandma; those grandchildren will tell stories in their grown years about you playing tag with them until you “fell over”! How magical!

Jump to this post

@jude07 I hope so - I still have fond memories of wandering the fields with my Grandma, learning about plants, seeds and bugs. I had the only Grandma I knew of who wore "overhauls" (denim jeans), carried a pocket knife, and could split your eardrums with her piercing whistle. And I remember on rainy days playing in her button box and being taught to sew.
Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.