Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jude07

Didn’t get my walk in however hauled and carried 24 bags of mulch and disturbed them in the last two days. I considered that my exercise. Back to walking tomorrow.
Not quite “14” months of winter her in the Land of 10,000 Lakes🤣😂however I won’t say I am looking forward to it anymore either. I am ready for a beautiful spot in the South come January.
However, the squirrels seem to have my stored away more nuts than I have $$$ to winter somewhere else. Hah!

Jump to this post

@jude07, Well, it has been said that Texans tend to exaggerate...lol but it did make the point, yes? smiles As for hauling and distributing 24 bags of mulch in 2 days time, I am in stunned awe of such a feat! I want,Need! the name of the brand of vitamins you must be taking!
We have plenty of backyard squirrels here too and they are prolific planters of pecans. If those green shoots aren't uprooted when they first appear, their roots seem to reach to the netherlands!

@gingerw

@becsbuddy I am moving rocks from the side of the driveway to a empty area between chain link fence and sidewalk. Dumping them into three different buckets and hauling on the sled my husband rigged up. Does this count? My arms are getting stronger and my hip joints are getting more flexible as all I can do is bend over to grab these rocks and clean them somewhat before dumping them into the bucket. I am moving about nine buckets early every morning. I figure in the last 3 weeks about 3 tons of bricks and rocks, at least, have been moved. We are expecting record temps the next few days, up to 107, so I may take a few days off. It is about 90 outside at 5:15pm now.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw, You are amazing! I spent a great deal of one summer hauling 3 gallon buckets of free river rocks, washing them...which had all the neighbors laughing! and filling one sections of a flowerbed. One neighbor swore that that effort is what brought on my stroke in the fall. Doubt she was right but with the high heat forecast for you, heatstroke might occur...glad you'll be taking a break during the worst of it! With your energy, would you be interested in washing my outdoor windows during your break time?

@susandenise

I do see a psych and a social worker as I am bi polar schizophrenic. Klonopin is a Benzo. Calms me. The vistaril is an antihistamine and anti inflammatory. I refuse to take any of those RA drugs! Nope.. I’ll hon with the what the rheumatologist says and if he’s correct all my organs will soon be affected and within 10 years I’ll be dead. He’s so blunt. At first , and by 3 other docs I was told it was all in my head, lonely housewives disease??!!, and fibromyalgia. I have a host of mental illnesses going on from childhood abuse ( of all kinds in every way and no way out) so I’m hoping to die. I’m f———— tired! ( excuse my French) but it’s frustrating

Jump to this post

As a retired RN, I used a lot of Vistaril for my patients, both in Labor & Delivery (years ago) and with other postop meds in surgical recovery room. I have never heard it referred to or used as an anti-inflammatory drug? It definitely can be used as a great antihistamine and like so many of the older antihistamines, can have a mild sedative effect. (Great when you are itching from who knows what!) I know it is used for people who have been diagnosed for chronic hives/urticaria. Nice that it helps you feel better!

@fiesty76

@susandenise, I've often said that I thought it should be "mandatory" that every husband and dad of young children should be left at "home alone with their broods for a 7 day 24/7 stretch to better "appreciate" what caring wives and moms do daily as a matter of course, regardless of the woman's personal health or circumstance". Muttered and groused something similar about state school commissioners, legislators and local school board members who dictate "curriculums, universal tests, and funding for public schools without ever having stepped into classrooms. Guarantee there would be changes to benefit students and educators if these "elevated" decision makers had to contend with the daily shortages of supplies, support and stress that dedicated staffs across the nation deal with daily. Some educators can go on strike to protest but rarely can a wife or mom take a much needed break or time out.

Maybe a calm declaration of a brief "Time Out" from daily routine would prompt more consideration? I'm thankful and sure you are too that your husband is able to continue his job during this period when so many have lost theirs but hoping you may find a way to garner more support when circumstances prove "too much". Learning that self-care is important came late in life for me but better late than never, yes?

Jump to this post

Thank you!

@migizii

@migizii I recently added K2 and a small amount of Boron to help with my arthritis and osteoporosis (and hopefully some of my daily pain), in addition to calcium and vit D. I’m also slight build and hoping this will help. @parrotqueen has many useful natural remedies to help in this area.

Jump to this post

I take some boron, too. Also, folate (the natural form of folic acid) is supposed to help. I doubt whether they hurt. Magnesium in moderate amounts helps balance the calcium. Just go easy or you could get the runs.

@wisco50

As a retired RN, I used a lot of Vistaril for my patients, both in Labor & Delivery (years ago) and with other postop meds in surgical recovery room. I have never heard it referred to or used as an anti-inflammatory drug? It definitely can be used as a great antihistamine and like so many of the older antihistamines, can have a mild sedative effect. (Great when you are itching from who knows what!) I know it is used for people who have been diagnosed for chronic hives/urticaria. Nice that it helps you feel better!

Jump to this post

@wisco50 I take the older meds for alleries I take Chlorpheniramine always hbs helped

Gee, it’s just too hot to go walking! Took the dog out at 10 and it was already too hot!! And the best excuse of all, the weather people said to stay inside because of all the smoke in the air! There are 4 fires burning on Colorado right now. Guess I will stay indoors! Becky

@susandenise

I do see a psych and a social worker as I am bi polar schizophrenic. Klonopin is a Benzo. Calms me. The vistaril is an antihistamine and anti inflammatory. I refuse to take any of those RA drugs! Nope.. I’ll hon with the what the rheumatologist says and if he’s correct all my organs will soon be affected and within 10 years I’ll be dead. He’s so blunt. At first , and by 3 other docs I was told it was all in my head, lonely housewives disease??!!, and fibromyalgia. I have a host of mental illnesses going on from childhood abuse ( of all kinds in every way and no way out) so I’m hoping to die. I’m f———— tired! ( excuse my French) but it’s frustrating

Jump to this post

@susandenise You are sounding really down and tired. Has any thought been given to selling the farm and moving closer to your husbands job? I’m sure it would be much too difficult right now but it is something to think about.
Are you seeing a therapist?

@becsbuddy

@susandenise You are sounding really down and tired. Has any thought been given to selling the farm and moving closer to your husbands job? I’m sure it would be much too difficult right now but it is something to think about.
Are you seeing a therapist?

Jump to this post

Not with all my animals as I’m a rescue also, so it’s not monetarily possible and I’m not giving away my “fuzzy kids” . I’m just going to keep going. Try to find a good RA who takes my e seriously and whatever happens —God’s will

@becsbuddy Sorry to hear the air quality and temps are not cooperating. We have been having picture-perfect weather for a few days, yesterday my walk was 4 miles, then I stopped at a neighbor's garage sale to chat and talked gardens and families with my next door neighbor. Best of all, I talked my husband into joining me for an easy afternoon bike ride, including a stop at the local (outdoor only) Dairy Queen - you phone in your order and a masked employee unlocks the door and hands it out to you.

Today, after my walk, the day will be spent weeding - following the shade around my yard. And preparing some tomatoes and cucumbers for freezing for this winter - they are now ripening faster than we can eat or give away!There's room in the freezer now since I spent Friday doing a long-overdue defrosting and rearranging. Supper will be wild rice brats on the grill and fresh veggies - and we'll eat on the patio.

Have a nice walk today everyone.
Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.